A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What size to make baby sweater?  (Read 2041 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EllaRain
« on: March 05, 2011 10:44:10 AM »

A friend of mine is expecting and I would like to knit a Knitting Pure and Simple Easy Baby Cardigan for her. My problem is that I am not sure what size to make it. The baby is due in June and I would like her/him to be able to wear the sweater during her/his first winter. The pattern has options for newborn, 6 months, 12 months & 18 months corresponding to chests of 18, 20, 22, 24 inches and length of 9, 10, 11, and 12 inches.
I tried to look at size charts to see whether or not the average 6 month old fit into 6 month old clothing or even whether the 6 month size of this pattern is the typical 6 month clothing size; but I was having trouble figuring it all out. Huh
I was hoping that maybe someone who has had children or knit for children or maybe even knit this cardigan could help me. I have never made baby clothing before and I would really like this to be a usable garment.
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011 03:27:11 PM »

An average baby can usually wear a 6mo size by the time they're 3 or 4 months, and some larger ones can't wear newborn size for more than a week, then they're into the 3 mo size. So make a large 6 mo size (go up in needle size and make the length and sleeves a little longer) or the 12 mo size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011 02:38:33 AM »

I agree with soozeq.  I had a boy in September and by three months, he was wearing 6 month clothing and now, at five 1/2 months, he's wearing 12 month clothing.  I'd suggest the 12 month size - it may be big at first, but depending on where you live, winter can be a long season.  12 months would give the baby room to grow and trust me, the mama will be happier that way. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllaRain
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011 10:06:45 AM »

Thank-you. I started making it at the twelve months size but after finishing the collar it seemed so big that I was not sure. . I will go ahead with the 12 month size  Smiley.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011 09:26:56 AM by EllaRain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
http://pinterest.com/ellaraindrop/
studiomarlowe
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011 12:19:53 PM »

Another thing to consider (though it sounds like you've already done a good bit of the knitting) would be to wait until the baby is born and then you'll know whether he/she is larger than average.  I have actually had friends whose kids were into 9 month sizes by a few months, in those cases even a 12 month size might not see much wear for a June baby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.studiomarlowe.c om: crafty blogging and original handknitting patterns
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Oil Paints and Pigments
How to Finish Up a Portrait Drawing
The Fibonacci Project
Revolutionary Art in Cuba Since 1867
What Is Pysanky Ukrainian Art
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...