A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,100
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 51
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft with a Fat Quarter Swap!! (SU CLOSED, SO 4/19/11)  (Read 31563 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2011 02:32:42 PM »

Oh, and an inexpensive way to get fat quarters occurred to me this week.  JoAnns has certain quilters' cottons on sale for $2.50 a yard.  That makes it $1.25 for two fat quarters. Smiley
LimeRiot, I think we need clarification on the dimensions of a fat quarter.  One yard if fabric yields 4 fat quarters, doesn't it?? (That's why it's called a quarter)

Yep - that's right. I think A2JC4Life was trying to say that you could get 2 FQs with a half yard of fabric.

Just so we're all clear, an FQ should be 18" x 22" Smiley...more info here...
http://quilting.about.com/od/stepbystepquilting/ss/fat_quarters.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
A2JC4life
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2011 03:26:01 PM »

Oh, and an inexpensive way to get fat quarters occurred to me this week.  JoAnns has certain quilters' cottons on sale for $2.50 a yard.  That makes it $1.25 for two fat quarters. Smiley
LimeRiot, I think we need clarification on the dimensions of a fat quarter.  One yard if fabric yields 4 fat quarters, doesn't it?? (That's why it's called a quarter)

Yep - that's right. I think A2JC4Life was trying to say that you could get 2 FQs with a half yard of fabric.

Right.  You can't get a fat quarter with a quarter-yard cut of by-the-yard fabric; you get a long skinny piece.  But you can buy a half-yard, and cut it in half parallel to the selvage, and get two fat quarters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslieshappyheart
Tutorial Contributor

A happy heart makes the face cheerful! Pr 15:13

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2011 03:35:56 PM »

Thanks...now I see I didn't read your original post very carefully!  But now we all know what a fat quarter is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog: Leslie's Art and Sew

My dolly blog: Blythe Happy
LostInOz
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2011 04:26:03 PM »

Oh so tempting (it was the picture that lured me in. I've tried to ween myself off my Amy Butler fabric addiction, but I can spot it a mile off and always gravitate that way). I'll have to think about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftycakelady
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2011 06:33:30 PM »

I am really looking forward to this one!  I have a bunch of fat quarters to use and have actually been on the hunt for more.  I don't know what it is about those little bundles that call my name...  Grin Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiddlegirl8
Sew, Sew Happy!!

Are you going to throw that away?! Can I have it?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2011 07:46:17 PM »

Oh, Craftcakelady, I'm with you - FQs are my drug of choice, and I all too often have to buy more to feed my addiction.  I now have my FQs all organized into see-through plastic storage boxes - civil war fabrics, reproductions, autumn colors, bright colors, etc.  I often times just pull out the boxes, and rearrange and resort my FQs.  AND, I never have enough.  Golly I'm greedy. Shocked  My friends joke that when I die they will clamor over one another to break into my house and steal my fabric.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam...  (Kansas State Song)
Thimbles71

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2011 11:31:21 AM »

Oh, my gosh, I have a bazillion fat quarters.  I would love to participate with this!  I'll fill out the questionnaire later this afternoon.  YEAH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susanab
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2011 12:46:38 PM »

I have some pretty unique FQs -- and some that are just so pretty--from The City Quilter in NYC. I should have my workplace send my paycheck to them and save a step Wink
If ever in the city--oh, it's a MUST stopover!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.com
Thimbles71

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2011 12:57:27 PM »

I love the City Quilter!  I think I still have some taxi cab themed fabric from them!  Such nice people who work there, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taraston
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2011 02:02:05 PM »

OK-- see now I am so envious --- I feel like the kid in the corner who is just lost!  You all sound like pros.  I'm more of a "oh pretty colors, Feels soft, and what the heck was I thinking" sorter. I do not know what half this fabric is made of. 
I do know what a fat quarter is, only because that's what it says on it when I buy it. I do remember opening it up and thinking wow I got a lot for that price!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May a sunbeam warm you, a moonbeam charm you, and a craft idea hit like monkeys flinging poo.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 51 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sebastian Copeland on the Beauty in Photography
How to Bling your photos
The Making of the Summer Reading Sculpture
Turning Tyres Into Art
Tiny Skeleton Art, Creepy or Cool?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...