A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Real Pirates wear Eyeliner!  (Read 1640 times)
Tags for this thread: pirate , costume  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rossie
« on: March 03, 2011 03:17:21 PM »

There's a big shindig on at Hubby's work today and everyone's dressing up.  He decided he wanted to be Johhny Depp Jack Sparrow, so I've been sewing for two days to get this all together.  I made the headscarf wig, shirt, waistcoat, pants, sash and boots.  The belts I picked up at a Lifeline shop.

I don't sew many men's clothes so I played it safe and used a pattern; Simplicity 4923 which you can find here: http://www.simplicity.com/p-2198-men-costumes.aspx .  I was very happy with the pattern;  some of the instructions were a little confusing but it came together well.  Sizing was pretty accurate too.  The trousers were a surprise - hello, weird flappy front closure - and took some convincing, but he eventually went with it.  I modified the shirt with a pointy collar instead of the standing collar, and added some loops so he could lace up the front; he didn't fancy showing off his chest all day long.

The boots are a pair of men's slippers with some stretchy, fake suede sewn on top.  First I pinned on some interfacing to make a pattern of the shoe top, then cut that out of the fabric and hot glued it on.  Then I measured his leg, made a pattern for the boot top, and then sewed that to the covered shoe.  I ran out of time to make the big bell tops that Jack wears, so he's just gonna have to live with boring pirate boots.  Sorry, honey.

The sash was 1/2 a metre of upholstery ticking.  I cut it in half lengthways, sewed it together in one long piece, and then down the sides to keep the threads in place.  Then I fringed 15 cms at each end.  It took ages but looks cool.  The bottons were very shiny and distracting when I bought them so I had to rub in some black paint to give them a more aged look.

Every store we went to had run out of dreadlock wigs except those with bright beannies attached.  I cut the dreds off and sewed them to the inside of a piece of fabric which was knotted around his head.  Add some beads and coins and there's a quick Jack wig!  It was kind of fun, actually.  The dreds were soft and woolly with a foam core... nothing like the real thing!   

The eyeliner was hilarious - he watered and teared up and kept making faces, so it was hard to actually get the stuff on his face and not IN his eyes.  He now thinks all girls are mental.  (Maybe I'll wax his legs one day and give him a real lesson in femininity?)  I had to smudge it with a wet cotton ball because of all the fussing, but in the end he liked the results.  I rather like it myself Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
spaz2phreek
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011 06:45:54 PM »

So jealous. I love any chance to get dressed up and my boyfriend couldn't care less. You're so lucky to have such a fun hubby that you get to make him fun stuff like this. Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
rossie
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011 03:29:56 AM »

He's good fun Smiley  Though I must say I'm glad he wasn't in the group that dressed up as fairies... all 20-something of them, boys included... he'd have been borrowing wings and a tiara from our 7 year old and that's just weird. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011 05:28:20 AM »

Great work on everything! I had to re-read that you'd even made the boots! He looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
twelvedaysold

http://twelvedaysold.blogspot.com/

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011 09:25:44 AM »

That's hilarious about the eyeliner.  You did such a fantastic job making his outfit! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 15/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 12/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 11/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 10/15
How to Crochet a Lazy Wave Chevron Part 2/5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...