A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pouring Resin in Latex Moulds  (Read 220 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

swinginmartinis
« on: February 28, 2011 08:33:35 PM »

Hi there!  I don't know where else to turn!  Sad  I decided I wanted to make my husband chess pieces for his birthday, and found some latex moulds on etsy.  I bought Castin'Craft Clear Liquid Plastic Casting Resin.  I got the catalyst and colors/etc and have been trying to follow the directions on the back of the can.

I used mould release, but what is happening it the pieces are very tacky after I take them from the moulds.  I have kept the pieces in the moulds for days, so they should be fully cured. 

Someone suggested that I rinse each piece with laquer thinner, but all that seems to do is lose detail...then it's sticky for a day or two, then hardens up, but it still impressionable if you press too hard on it...like if you hold the chess piece too tightly, your finger prints are embedded on them :/

The first set I tried I used the same ratio for the small pieces as the big pieces.  The second attempt I tried different ratios based on the instructions on the back...
I got the same results each time.

I have looked online, contacted the man I bought the moulds from, and tried another venue and no one is very forth coming with information. 

I was able to use some TINY moulds and didn't have issues...chess pieces are just not working out...

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can look for information, or have any thoughts on my issues?  I just want to make him pieces for his birthday :/

Thanks for your help!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My candle burns at both ends, it will not last the night.  But oh, my friends, and oh, my foes, it gives a lovely light.

www.swinginmartinis .etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Mini Tripod for Your Camera
How to Make a Tripod with a Piece of String
The Rankin Live Exhibition
Tips for Photographing Children
How to Shoot Amazing Pictures Under and Above Water
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...