A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 309,705
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Husband: Genius  (Read 4905 times)
Tags for this thread: sofa , repair  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2011 09:36:41 AM »

We had a tear in our 6 year old, very well used, quite loved leather sofa. TRADGEDY! We also have no money to replace it unless my husband goes out and works himself to death doing overtime for at least three months.
I was all for getting credit etc, but he didnt want the added burden of more financial hassle. I do see his point, and agreed that we should hold off buying a new one for a while; but only if he could come up with a way to fix the sofa.

mmmm taster picture.....

On the three seater, the tear was between two of the fixed seat cushions, and was very noticable when one sat one's massive butt on the sofa. also, things kept falling into the gap only to be lost forever in the base of the sofa. here's the three seater, circa 2009

the two seater, at this time, was in our kitchen.

here it is, yesterday, in my livingroom

Back to 2011... So, my husband; an engineer by career but a designer by training, set to work trying o work out what to do.

We had a matching two seater and three seater set bought in 2005 when we moved into our first flat. they were cheap. they were badly constructed and within the first year he'd had to fix them.

bodge repair circe 2006 lol

ok. here's some pictures of the process....

jim unbolting an arm form the three seater, after having taken off the base part

the scariest bit was this, then he had to cut the broken piece off the end of the three seater. basically, it was torn so we'd not lost anything if it went horribly wrong at this stage.

Sophie was used as extra ballast. and for cute appeal.

once he'd done this, I could mend the tear as best I could. it'd later be hidden by the arm of the sofa being bolted back on, but i needed to be mended so that the leather which was folded under and stapled had enough strength. one big needle, one pair of pliers, ten hurty lady fingers lol

ummmm... this bolt? or this one?

ooooh! coming together...

under the back, right hand, corner bit is a box made from scrap wood which supports the cushion of that particular bit of the three-seat side. It's not there for security, just cosmetics. it will eventually be used for storing the laptop when not in use I think.

nearly finished!

the corner part was made from the non-torn portion of the torn cushion, and is supported with scrap wood and green elastic strapping from the deconstruction of the three seat. The padding is made from our daughter's old cot-bed mattress lol. woot! recycling!

enter a large lady in a onesie to upload pictures of the new sofa, and to test out the corner. mwaaaaaaa!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
NH822

"Every day is better than the last!" -Logan, age 6

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011 09:53:27 AM »

well done!!  please send Jim over to work on my couch too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues."
-Elizabeth Taylor
emosauce

Too many ideas, so little time!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011 09:56:17 AM »

That's some good work. It looks like that couch was made to be like that. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cookiepockets
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011 10:21:12 AM »

I would never have guessed that this used to be two couches!  It looks great, and now you can either keep what you have, or save up for something when you are ready to move on to a new couch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011 10:23:22 AM »

It looks so professional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011 11:27:33 AM »

I would never have guessed that this used to be two couches!  It looks great, and now you can either keep what you have, or save up for something when you are ready to move on to a new couch.

exactly! and we kept the arms and the leg pieces from the 3 seat, so if we need to separate the two and do a little more sofasurgery, we could have two two seaters lol.

I don't think either of us will be ready to move on for a long timem not only are they comfortable they also have massive sentimental value. they were the first piece of furniture we bought together with shared, saved money, the first furniture we had in our first apartment, we chose them before even moving out of his dad's house. That time was hard because we'd spent 6 months unemployed, living on welfare and living in one room of his dad's house just so we had a roo over our heads; we only lasted a week in the tent we tried lol.

we chose the dark leather because we knew we were going to be trying for a baby as soon as we moved in together and we wanted wipe-clean sofas fr when the baby started being... well, a baby lol, and because the polish to keep them nice is cheap and easily available. It was a weekly pilgrimmage to the local sofa store for us while we were dreaming of the new apartment, the joy of finally being employed etc...
the baby we were planning is now 5 years old lol.

so. the sofas stay lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cre8ivegenes
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011 11:51:48 AM »

Great Job! What a perfect way to also save 2 great items from being tossed so fast. To see the potential and make it work.
Love this. I had bought a vintage sofa I love and the frame cracked from being to dry here in Texas. My friends all told me to
toss it out. It's perfect, the fabric is like new. Toss it??? So I found a furniture repair man and he is fixing the frame for $75.
Wish I had your husbands talent or a guy like him but $75 is still much cheaper that any new sofa and I get to keep the awesome
lime green 1960's look with clean boxy lines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Polly Peanut

gone crazy - back soon!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011 12:40:16 PM »

Awesome! What a talented man you`ve got there, congrats Cheesy It really looks as if it was made for beeing like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishgurll
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011 01:46:51 PM »

This is absolutely glorious - your wonderful husband should be awarded a medal for this kind of excellence! Hope it's comfy and you're enjoying!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- I use antlers in all of my decorating -
Alexus1325
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011 01:52:03 PM »

EPIC!

Your husband is indeed a genius! As if... I so need to show my boyfriend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mom Hacks: Egg Carton
JD and Rebecca Show Some Incredible Sand Art
How to Organize Arts and Crafts Supplies Like a Pro
DIY Bachelorette Party Gift Idea
How to Makeover Your Dresser Using Wallpaper
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...