A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing spin-along! (or fiber stash busting event!)  (Read 13576 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #190 on: April 04, 2011 02:46:00 PM »

Yeah, when I first got my Ashford wheel, the top of one of the bobbins was already coming off so I checked them all and hooray for wood glue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
k_cat
« Reply #191 on: April 05, 2011 03:59:23 AM »

Ooooh, glue. Glue is a wonderful thing. I have used A LOT of it on the bobbins of my mother's (almost thirty years old) Moswolt wheel. And sadly, I already had to glue parts of my Kromski Sonata. Mostly the connections of maidens and mother-of-all - that's a logical thing, because those are the parts that get a lot of the tension.
But I think it's just normal to repair your wheel if you use it a lot. Besides, the wood is sensitive to its surroundings... So a change of temperature or air humidity can distort shapes. I have a travel wheel that's seen a lot of different places and spend nights in a car. That's not the best treatment for wood, but it's working nevertheless.  Grin

By the way, my mordant bath is acidic. This might be a reason why the dyeing didn't work. But I can't continue this today... Need to get some stuff out of the appartment I share(d) with my boyfriend. There's still a lot of wool. Not to mention my rigid heddle loom, yarns and all the other stuff.

edit: Oh, and - I am able to knit again! Only loose, slowly and not too much at once, but I can do it. (As long as my wrists and fingers are ok with it.) YAY! Though it'll probably take weeks to knit a pair of socks now. Grin
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011 04:00:38 AM by k_cat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #192 on: April 05, 2011 05:20:50 PM »

k_cat, glad your hands are feeling better.

I was disappointed with a lot of the things I dyed a few days ago, but I decided to try again today with some Easter egg dyes and go for some lighter colors.

This is one of the wools from this weekend. The dye was supposed to be a bright pink, but it struck as a crimson red. Yuck, not what I wanted with this green and blue. Oh well...

And these are today's wool, hanging out on the porch. I need to bring them in for the night, or the dew fall will wet them down again. Gonna do that right after I post.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Angry Hippie
« Reply #193 on: April 06, 2011 09:15:47 AM »

Yay for being able to knit again k_cat! 

All the colorful wool drying pics are so yummy.

I let my kids card batts two of them chose to make red and green batts  Huh  I plied them together w/ random singles i had trying to drown out the Christmas spirit.... i don't like it.  Still looks really christmas-y to me, the brown reminds me of reindeer.

So since it's April i thought i shall lay out my new goals.   This month i'm diving into prepairing a raw fleece.  I should be here in a few days i'm crazy excited.   It has an 8 in staple length though.  I never spun a wool that long any onw know if it even makes a difference?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #194 on: April 06, 2011 09:33:30 AM »

Sigh...today I decided to try spinning the unattractive crimson/green/blue wool. I started with a big hunk with lots of the crimson, because I wanted to know right off if it would crock on my hands like the neon purple dye. It crocks-- not as vibrantly as the purple, but bad enough that I threw out the wool that has that color in it. I'll card the rest in with something else. So now I know that both the neon purple and neon pink are unstable dyes, even with tons of vinegar and lots of heating.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #195 on: April 06, 2011 09:37:34 AM »

K_cat: yay for hands! I like loose knits. Shawls are pretty when loose, right? TYou cans end it to me when you're done with whatever if you don't like it! I love home-knit things, but refuse to learn myself, for now. I did meet someone who is willing to teach me, though, at my Fiber Guild meeting Monday. maybe in the future? maybe not?

L Lark: Have you thought about haning your fiber int he bathroom? Cold/wet days I do that n front of the vent and it really gets them dry fast.
RBG combos always make think of computer screens, though I doubt mixing them will give you CMY. Am I a nerd?

Hippie: I like it.You don't have to like everything you make as long as people in your shop like them, right?

I haven't set a goal this month. I don't know when I'm getting my 3 fleeces. I'm also going to TX for 5 days. I don;t know if I'll bring any fiber with me *gasp* but there was something I was wanting to say on this thread that I know I could never say anywhere else because it's only something other Fiber Nerds would get, but I don't remember what it was. Sadface!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #196 on: April 06, 2011 10:46:47 AM »

Angry Hippie, I LOVE your yarn!  It gives off a very homey vibe to me.  I see it as either an amazing felted table mat holding a warm cozy casserole for dinner or a great snuggly little wristlet holding, among other things, my fav tea bag to snuggle up with.  Can you tell I'm freezing today?  Anyway, your yarn is stunning.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011 10:49:49 AM by Disco Queen Highness » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for this knit Death Flake hat

Wists
Etsy
LaughingLark
« Reply #197 on: April 06, 2011 11:51:45 AM »

L Lark: Have you thought about haning your fiber int he bathroom? Cold/wet days I do that n front of the vent and it really gets them dry fast.
RBG combos always make think of computer screens, though I doubt mixing them will give you CMY. Am I a nerd?

I live with a hubby and three boys that want the shower at various times throughout the day. The bathroom is a second choice for drying things because they will move it and not be careful where they set down my wool or yarn. Angry We usually have a steady wind out of the west that helps the wool dry outside. I just can't keep it out overnight in the spring, because there is always lots of dew by morning. I put it back out there this morning, and hopefully it will be bone dry by tonight. It is a gorgeous sunny day in the low seventies.

I have some ugly, ugly plyed yarn to post later on today. It's the stuff that has the crocking purple in it. I spun it up fast and lumpy without carding it. I think I'll crochet it up into  small cushion shapes, felt the heck out of it so hopefully it will be done shedding purple, stuff them with catnip and give them to Seymour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #198 on: April 06, 2011 01:18:10 PM »

Here they are. I think I'll call this one "Hangover" because I kept on dyeing long after I should have stopped that day.  Cheesy

And this one. I love the colors, but the crocking purple is a deal-breaker. Felted cat toys it will be, as long as the felting process gets out enough dye that Seymour won't have purple teeth. Grin A lot of the purple re-distributed itself when I washed the yarn, but I don't trust this yarn for anything to be worn by people. The neon is the only food colors I've had trouble with so far.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k_cat
« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2011 04:56:01 AM »

LaughingLark, Hangover somehow reminds me of different types of ice cream someone mixed with a spoon. Smiley

I have been skeining some "normal" (read: store bought) undyed sock yarn from my stash yesterday. I'm going to dye it, maybe this evening. Need to go to a class in one and a half hours, so I can't do it before that... Acid dyes. Maybe some unspun wool will also tumble into the dye pots, who knows? Or I could get out the drum carder and make another nice blend.
But what I really need to do is spin a second single to ply with my first long draw yarn. The bobbin has reached the point of rien ne va plus - if I get more yarn onto it, the flyer can't move anymore. It's not sturdy enough for a "real" single, though. Maybe I'll ply it on my mother's wheel which has larger bobbins. I really need to get a jumbo flyer and a few big bobbins for my Sonata. (But I need to get that much money first. Grin)

Finally, I have a really fiber related question for you...  Cheesy I'm not sure whether you are allowed to answer in this thread - if not, please PM me. Answers might be considered advertising. I just don't know.
This June I may be going to the US for two or three weeks- to attend a wedding anniversary of relatives. It offers me the possibility to place one or two orders using their address (and my money, haha) and take the stuff back home with me in my luggage. Yay!  Grin So I am looking for good online shops selling fiber - not only sheep, although I'm interested in that as well. I just need some advice... Tried google, BUT I have no idea about adequate fiber prices in the US, so I thought I'd ask YOU, fellow addicts. Because you surely have your favourites!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Honey Lager Legs Recipe
Ham Greens Soup
Figs Delicious Wings
Crazy Canuck Maple Leaf Ribs
Breakfast Sausage
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...