A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,382
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing spin-along! (or fiber stash busting event!)  (Read 12432 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

k_cat
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2011 08:56:17 AM »

You could really say this is fiber group therapy.  Cheesy I mean... First, we're setting goals. Then we start working. And after a while we might change our goals a bit. That's not "wrong" or "right", it's just us being realistic and adjusting our goals to the way we really work (besides, our wishes or liking - and therefore the goals - might change). On our way to this goal, we motivate eachother. And in the end, we have met our goals and feel happy and cheer and have learnt a lot about spinning and fiber stuff!

For next month, I am definitely interested in rolags/pseudorolags, long draw, singles. This is not the only stuff I'll do. To be honest, "learning only" would be frustrating. Besides, I am quite sure I will NOT make 7 skeins next month. 5 could be realistic, this will be a busy month. (University, doctor's appointments, maybe moving back to my parents, etc.) What I will "force" myself to do: Spin at least one skein of uncoloured wool. I need more yarn for dyeing with plants!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
textilejnkie
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2011 01:08:59 PM »

I was thinking about this: 

.. First, we're setting goals. Then we start working. And after a while we might change our goals a bit. That's not "wrong" or "right", it's just us being realistic and adjusting our goals to the way we really work (besides, our wishes or liking - and therefore the goals - might change). On our way to this goal, we motivate eachother. And in the end, we have met our goals and feel happy and cheer and have learnt a lot about spinning and fiber stuff!

I like how you put that. I had not spun before this.  My mom gave me a tiny bit of roving years ago, with the spin that she had started with a drop spindle.  I was no good at it.

So I went back and looked at my goal:
"to clean and prepare  a fleece to spin.  Also, to figure out this whole plying thing by spinning two yarns that are plied."

I've spun 2 plied skeins and I have two singles to ply together this Friday.  ( won't be home before then.)  And I learned to card (kinda). 

Thank you so much for putting this together.  I've learned so much, and I would love to keep learning and seeing all the inspirational things that this talented group is doing.  I am not a spinner, but last night I said the words, "I promise not to come home with a spinning wheel."  I am so glad you guys started this and let me try something new.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Angry Hippie
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2011 03:07:54 PM »

i'm back...10 pages later Undecided

I've been staying current but haven't posted.   I'm so in love with this thread, it's inspirational x10!  I'd love for this cal to continue, donate prizes as well.
All the fiber prep is amazing. 
K_cat the beaded yarn is so beautiful as is bella's art yarn. 

Astor, i love the merino tencel.  I've never used rolags is there an advantage to them over a batt?

I'm not going to meet my goals.  A couple weeks ago my wheel stated dieing, i'd be spinning and then it would just get slower and slower.  I pulled it apart and cleaned everything and it's helped prevent over heating but i'll be needing a new motor soon.
So i've been focusing on dying and also i got a drum carder!  It's a brother http://www.etsy.com/shop/brotherdrumcarder not bad for the price.  With the slicker i can make a 4oz batt!

AND i uprooted and moved my work space, i had a room but my husband decided it was big enough for the both of us... turns out it wasn't Angry so i moved into the living room since most of my spinning happens there it just made sense.

The lid on my wheel is ajar because i was cleaning it.

BATTS!

Best of all it's finally warm enough to hang things to dry outside! Huzzah!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2011 03:30:19 PM »

Hippie, that's your "wheel?" I had to search the pics to find it! How quaint. I like your storage.

Question: I can't find my oil for my wheel, is it OK if I just use cooking oil, like grape seed oil (since that's the only oil I use in my house)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2011 03:40:57 PM »

cooking oil will go rancid.  Baby oil will do the trick.

Angry hippy, I'd love some more feedback on that drum carder.  how many times have you used it? has anything gotten clogged yet?  And what is the tpi?  That's a very reasonable price, with decent shipping to canada....  might have to buy one myself.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011 03:43:52 PM by Belladune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2011 04:00:26 PM »

Astor, i love the merino tencel.  I've never used rolags is there an advantage to them over a batt?

I don't think so, it's just a way to mix up colors. I tend to make batts that are either completely solid or striped as that one was, and usually I break them up into littler bits to spin - sometimes with the grain and then pulling them into roving, sometimes across it, and making mini batts (super rolags?) - (I feel like I need to draw a picture) - for me, it was just a new way to address that issue. Also, I can mix up the colors. Some of my rolags were just parts of the batts as they were in the batt, and with some, I lay say, red against blue, or gathered a lot of the peach color to make a rolag all one color...

I guess I've never spun from a batt without dismantling it, so perhaps it's just a comfort issue?

Very yummy pictures, by the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Angry Hippie
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2011 04:05:09 PM »

Rofl yep that's it.  It's a hideous little contraption i got it off craigslist.  It sat it a basement for 15+ years, there's water damage, duct tape ate the varnish off the top,  and everything's warped, but it works.  They used to be sold in the back of knit and crochet magazine in the 80's for really cheap.  The woman that it came from explained that it a pretty terrible "wheel" but it works. My favorite thing about it is the tension, it's made of fishing line and a rubber band. Cheesy

Don't use cooking oils they get sticky on top of going rancid like belladune said.

I've made 10 batts each were put through 2-3 times so not a lot of use yet. The carder comes unfinished i haven't decided what color it want it to be yet. I haven't clogged anything yet but it'd be pretty easy to if your not paying attention. u see how the drive wheel thing for the little drum is right where u feed fiber.   I think i'm going to bend up a shoot out of aluminum so i can feed w/o worrying about clogging it up.

I got the med (72-90 tpi) but you can get it as fine(90-120) for no extra cost.
http://brotherdrumcarder.com/index.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011 04:50:56 PM by The Angry Hippie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2011 04:09:50 PM »

The advice I was given with my drum carder was that if you could see the input area through the fiber, you're fine, but if you can't, you're loading too much.

Anyway, I altered the first post so now we're an "Ongoing spin-along".  I guess we just come up with new goals each month...

Speaking of which, I guess I need to think of something for April...  Huh
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011 04:11:07 PM by astormorray » THIS ROCKS   Logged

k_cat
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2011 02:45:53 AM »

@The Angry Hippie: Ooooooooh. This stash. Want! Want! Want!  Shocked

I seem to have killed my wrist/hand/fingers again. No spinning, no long posts, maybe trying to make proper rolags or pseudorolags (WITHOUT CARDS! Ouch.). (And taking my cat to the vet AND getting an appointment for MRI for myself andandand...)
So this is study time, I'm going to watch videos and read texts. Better than university, because wool is involved.

edit:
The supported long draw in the video that was posted earlier in this thread looks doable. I have my first (probably really stupid  Embarrassed) question regarding rolags. Where do you start spinning/drafting the wool? At one of the ends or in the middle? The ends would be a bit obvious, but I'm not sure. Mostly because I never thought about stuff like that. (Might be time to start controlled spinning...)

It's a chance of 89% I'm going to move back to my parents in April, so there will be a lot of chaos and either no time for spinning or a lot of frustration yarn. Good news: After that I'll be able to dye whenever I want and have my own dyeing plants again.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011 05:19:13 AM by k_cat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2011 08:32:35 AM »

:*( K_cat.... That's sucks.  I'm sure I don't fully understand, but I do have very sore joints too.  and sometimes it's just to much.  Rest up and you'll be back at it before you know it.

In exciting news for me, I get to go (help) shear sheep at the end of april!!!! WEEEEEEEEWT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  so excited Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pat Mitchell: The Elitist Conversation
Pat Mitchell: Falling Forward
Pat Mitchell: Television Pioneer
How to Make a Bay-Laurel Wreath for the Holidays
How to Make a Table Top Christmas Tree
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...