A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing spin-along! (or fiber stash busting event!)  (Read 11820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2011 06:43:30 AM »

I need to get pictures of the yarns I've spun up since Saturday.  None of them have been set.  I just suck at photo taking though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
k_cat
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2011 06:51:49 AM »

Thanks!

I don't know whether you can see it in the pictures: the beads are not really black, but relatively dark, metallic colours... AND I fear I'm running out of them!  Shocked I haven't really measured or counted anything, it's random. So I hope I can stretch the beads I have left till the end.
There is a second portion of wool from this dye lot. I could either ply it with another kind of beads I have in my stash, or with another, contrasting wool... Or just with the Nylon thread. Although I'd rather use another wool, I think.  Huh

edit: It took me a REALLY long time to thread the beads. My fingers just didn't want to work. Seemingly I just can't handle small things like needles anymore. Mmmpf.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 06:55:33 AM by k_cat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2011 07:49:12 AM »

Here we go ...

And a close up of each:

(I dyied this last week)

I pulled the blue off a blue/white mill end from Sheep Shed

I also dyed this last week. Spun bulky and plyed with purple metallic thread

The blue-ish turquoise is some I dyed last week (peacock & turkey hen in background)

And this is wool/mohair that I pulled off the white from blue & white mill ends from Sheep Shed:

Some gratuitous shots of my peacock and turkeys that came up to see what I was doing.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 07:50:18 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

LaughingLark
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2011 07:56:14 AM »

k_cat, that yarn is lovely! You can use a bead spinner to sting your beads with centrifugal force. Here is a tutorial for building a very basic one. If you don not have lot of beads in stash, or don't plan to make very many beaded yarns, this will still make the job easier
http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/beadspinner.html
And here is a commercially made one in action. I like the commercially made one better, but I do a great deal of bead-stringing for French beaded flowers. I'll have to try it for some beaded yarn now.  Cheesy I have found that if you spin the spinner clockwise, you don't have to have the special curved needle. The curve is helpful, but the beads will still jump onto a longish beading needle MUCH faster than you can do them by hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uMQkYWsBJI

I'm trying to learn supported long draw. I made a hot mess of English longdraw. I wish I could buy the Spinning for Softness and Speed book. My budget for craft books is currently non-existent. I'm just kind of guessing what I should do,  Cheesy

Those yarns are gorgeous, MLF! I love your turkeys, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k_cat
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2011 08:14:59 AM »

mullerslanefarm, my chin almost dropped down onto the keyboard. I love your yarns! Especially the bright yellow one! WOW!
And your turkeys + peacock look indeed very interested...
I was only eyed by chickens and our fat rooster. They seemed eager to get a chew on my yarn! (I know because they killed some of the garlic I planted last week. Bad chickens!)

LaughingLark: Thank you for the advice! I am going to have a look at this later on. I normally don't work with beads because they are so small and I somehow always seem to throw down an opened box of them...  Grin   

OK, so I ran out of beads with a few metres of yarn left. I simply stopped at that point, leaving a bit of beadless 2ply after the last bead. The rest of the yarn is going to join the other half of this dyelot.
Skein #7 (never thought I'd do so many!), Scarborough Fair - hand dyed Merino, black Nylon thread and too few beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2011 08:49:08 AM »

I'm trying to learn supported long draw. I made a hot mess of English longdraw. I wish I could buy the Spinning for Softness and Speed book. My budget for craft books is currently non-existent. I'm just kind of guessing what I should do,  Cheesy

Paula Simmons' book is wonderful!!  It is well worth the $20 (& shipping).  The big thing about long draw is having well prepared roving and keeping your hands farther apart (if doing supported).  My back hand (holding the fiber) is a good 12" or more away from my forward hand.  You really want the twist to pull from your fiber, so you might want to adjust the tension for a little bit harder pull.

Once you 'get it' (and you WILL get it) it seems almost effortless to spin this way.  Keep trying!

eta:  Thanks all for the love!

I really enjoy my turkeys too!  We had a good hatch last year.  We need to sell / barter / send to freezer camp about 8-9 toms (we have 10 toms and 10 hens).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 08:50:41 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

LaughingLark
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2011 09:58:44 AM »

Thanks MLF. I will probably end up buying the book once our budget is better. For now, I'm trying to find more videos of the method. There is this one, but I wish the quality was better. I am attempting to spin in this way. Is this how you do it?  Smiley I wish I could see better how see did the repair part. It was so fast!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJbovOZ6HoU
I am using rolags for this type of spinning.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 10:00:53 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2011 11:09:17 AM »

K cat, I love that yarn. I've never used beaded yarn before, I bet it would be fun, though maybe tough on my fingers? I might have to try making some sometime, and when I say sometime I mean sometime in the far, far future.

Cyndi: I have some of that blue from SSS also, but I never would have thought about separating the white from it, which is funny because I have separated the colors in the brown locks i have. The way that white skein came out is amazing!

2 days left for our goals this month, you guys! How did everyone fare? I have exciting news: Saturday night I divided up the rest of my fleece into 4 sections, one fpr each day, so I could be finished by tomorrow. It worked out to be about 10 passes through the combs each day. Well yesterday, as I was finishing the days bag and getting ready to dive into today's I got an email... long story short I'm saving the last 2 bags for when I get something in the mail to "beta test" for someone. I figure ~20 passes through the combs will be a good real-world test for it. *sneaky, sneaky, Jessie* So, without further ado, I HAVE ACCOMPLISHED MY GOAL! Aren't you happy for me? I have over 100 "bumps" of Rambouliette (sp?) wool ready to go. Ready to dye, spin, whatever! I am so happy! So happy in fact that I have just finished Navajo plying my 2nd bobbin full of self-striping gray/white SSS!

OH, AND I got my Spinning the Seasons and Diamond Club shipments from Knit it up yesterday, the Diamond Batt is over 5.5oz! Cashmere! They are so pretty! I am excited! Now, what to do with them? I mean, of course, other than rub them all over my face and body? That's a given, right?

AND I had an idea. I've been planning how I am going to tackle the new fleeces I should be getting next month. First thing I will do is gather the little noils from the underside, second cuts is what I think Cyndi calls them. Well I was looking around the nets the other day and saw a site that SOLD these little nubs for use as additives to your yarn or something. *light bulb* What if I were to save these noils, wash them, dye them, and then use as additives myself? F*** using someone else's, I can save my own waste and use it! Yay! I have a vision: white yarn with little BRIGHT PINK bumps all through out it. I want this yarn. I want to make this yarn. I lust for it, and the experience of the feel of it through my hands....

Sorry I wrote so much, I don't have anywhere else to get all of this fibery excitement out very often. I mean, my loving husband sometimes lets me speak of these things, but he doesn't understand.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 11:10:40 AM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
k_cat
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2011 11:50:56 AM »

I HAVE ACCOMPLISHED MY GOAL!
Yeah! Grin That's cool! Are you ready for another month of fiber group insanity therapy?

*light bulb* What if I were to save these noils, wash them, dye them, and then use as additives myself? F*** using someone else's, I can save my own waste and use it! Yay! I have a vision: white yarn with little BRIGHT PINK bumps all through out it. I want this yarn. I want to make this yarn. I lust for it, and the experience of the feel of it through my hands....
I am saving those little noils (at least sometimes), and they're already dyed because I am too lazy to pick them out before dying. So I put them aside while spinning, until my cat tries to eat them. Wink

Sorry I wrote so much, I don't have anywhere else to get all of this fibery excitement out very often. I mean, my loving husband sometimes lets me speak of these things, but he doesn't understand.
I know how you feel. My boyfriend always says "Uhm. I don't get it? This is just yarn/wool/...? Like the rest?", but my mother is fiber crazy... She's more into knitting at the moment, but she enjoys me talking about all this stuff... So I guess I'm lucky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
textilejnkie
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2011 02:54:52 PM »

this weekend I test drove my hand carders.  I used youtube to find out how to use them.

Here is a question for experienced spinners.  I have a drop spindle.  Can I still spin off the rollages that I made?  Is there something else I should have done with this?  I have a basket full now, and I can wait to finish the current project to try playing with them.

oh, and I would love for this to continue without the prizes.  It was very generous of you to offer them, but I don't think they are necessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Newport Fried Chicken Recipe
Beef Pot Pie Recipe
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Halibut Skewers
Baja Style Fried Lobster Recipe
How to Make a Bison Burger
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...