A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,984
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing spin-along! (or fiber stash busting event!)  (Read 15140 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2011 06:43:30 AM »

I need to get pictures of the yarns I've spun up since Saturday.  None of them have been set.  I just suck at photo taking though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
k_cat
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2011 06:51:49 AM »

Thanks!

I don't know whether you can see it in the pictures: the beads are not really black, but relatively dark, metallic colours... AND I fear I'm running out of them!  Shocked I haven't really measured or counted anything, it's random. So I hope I can stretch the beads I have left till the end.
There is a second portion of wool from this dye lot. I could either ply it with another kind of beads I have in my stash, or with another, contrasting wool... Or just with the Nylon thread. Although I'd rather use another wool, I think.  Huh

edit: It took me a REALLY long time to thread the beads. My fingers just didn't want to work. Seemingly I just can't handle small things like needles anymore. Mmmpf.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 06:55:33 AM by k_cat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2011 07:49:12 AM »

Here we go ...

And a close up of each:

(I dyied this last week)

I pulled the blue off a blue/white mill end from Sheep Shed

I also dyed this last week. Spun bulky and plyed with purple metallic thread

The blue-ish turquoise is some I dyed last week (peacock & turkey hen in background)

And this is wool/mohair that I pulled off the white from blue & white mill ends from Sheep Shed:

Some gratuitous shots of my peacock and turkeys that came up to see what I was doing.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 07:50:18 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

LaughingLark
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2011 07:56:14 AM »

k_cat, that yarn is lovely! You can use a bead spinner to sting your beads with centrifugal force. Here is a tutorial for building a very basic one. If you don not have lot of beads in stash, or don't plan to make very many beaded yarns, this will still make the job easier
http://kimberlychapman.com/crafts/beadspinner.html
And here is a commercially made one in action. I like the commercially made one better, but I do a great deal of bead-stringing for French beaded flowers. I'll have to try it for some beaded yarn now.  Cheesy I have found that if you spin the spinner clockwise, you don't have to have the special curved needle. The curve is helpful, but the beads will still jump onto a longish beading needle MUCH faster than you can do them by hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uMQkYWsBJI

I'm trying to learn supported long draw. I made a hot mess of English longdraw. I wish I could buy the Spinning for Softness and Speed book. My budget for craft books is currently non-existent. I'm just kind of guessing what I should do,  Cheesy

Those yarns are gorgeous, MLF! I love your turkeys, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k_cat
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2011 08:14:59 AM »

mullerslanefarm, my chin almost dropped down onto the keyboard. I love your yarns! Especially the bright yellow one! WOW!
And your turkeys + peacock look indeed very interested...
I was only eyed by chickens and our fat rooster. They seemed eager to get a chew on my yarn! (I know because they killed some of the garlic I planted last week. Bad chickens!)

LaughingLark: Thank you for the advice! I am going to have a look at this later on. I normally don't work with beads because they are so small and I somehow always seem to throw down an opened box of them...  Grin   

OK, so I ran out of beads with a few metres of yarn left. I simply stopped at that point, leaving a bit of beadless 2ply after the last bead. The rest of the yarn is going to join the other half of this dyelot.
Skein #7 (never thought I'd do so many!), Scarborough Fair - hand dyed Merino, black Nylon thread and too few beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2011 08:49:08 AM »

I'm trying to learn supported long draw. I made a hot mess of English longdraw. I wish I could buy the Spinning for Softness and Speed book. My budget for craft books is currently non-existent. I'm just kind of guessing what I should do,  Cheesy

Paula Simmons' book is wonderful!!  It is well worth the $20 (& shipping).  The big thing about long draw is having well prepared roving and keeping your hands farther apart (if doing supported).  My back hand (holding the fiber) is a good 12" or more away from my forward hand.  You really want the twist to pull from your fiber, so you might want to adjust the tension for a little bit harder pull.

Once you 'get it' (and you WILL get it) it seems almost effortless to spin this way.  Keep trying!

eta:  Thanks all for the love!

I really enjoy my turkeys too!  We had a good hatch last year.  We need to sell / barter / send to freezer camp about 8-9 toms (we have 10 toms and 10 hens).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 08:50:41 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

LaughingLark
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2011 09:58:44 AM »

Thanks MLF. I will probably end up buying the book once our budget is better. For now, I'm trying to find more videos of the method. There is this one, but I wish the quality was better. I am attempting to spin in this way. Is this how you do it?  Smiley I wish I could see better how see did the repair part. It was so fast!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJbovOZ6HoU
I am using rolags for this type of spinning.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 10:00:53 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2011 11:09:17 AM »

K cat, I love that yarn. I've never used beaded yarn before, I bet it would be fun, though maybe tough on my fingers? I might have to try making some sometime, and when I say sometime I mean sometime in the far, far future.

Cyndi: I have some of that blue from SSS also, but I never would have thought about separating the white from it, which is funny because I have separated the colors in the brown locks i have. The way that white skein came out is amazing!

2 days left for our goals this month, you guys! How did everyone fare? I have exciting news: Saturday night I divided up the rest of my fleece into 4 sections, one fpr each day, so I could be finished by tomorrow. It worked out to be about 10 passes through the combs each day. Well yesterday, as I was finishing the days bag and getting ready to dive into today's I got an email... long story short I'm saving the last 2 bags for when I get something in the mail to "beta test" for someone. I figure ~20 passes through the combs will be a good real-world test for it. *sneaky, sneaky, Jessie* So, without further ado, I HAVE ACCOMPLISHED MY GOAL! Aren't you happy for me? I have over 100 "bumps" of Rambouliette (sp?) wool ready to go. Ready to dye, spin, whatever! I am so happy! So happy in fact that I have just finished Navajo plying my 2nd bobbin full of self-striping gray/white SSS!

OH, AND I got my Spinning the Seasons and Diamond Club shipments from Knit it up yesterday, the Diamond Batt is over 5.5oz! Cashmere! They are so pretty! I am excited! Now, what to do with them? I mean, of course, other than rub them all over my face and body? That's a given, right?

AND I had an idea. I've been planning how I am going to tackle the new fleeces I should be getting next month. First thing I will do is gather the little noils from the underside, second cuts is what I think Cyndi calls them. Well I was looking around the nets the other day and saw a site that SOLD these little nubs for use as additives to your yarn or something. *light bulb* What if I were to save these noils, wash them, dye them, and then use as additives myself? F*** using someone else's, I can save my own waste and use it! Yay! I have a vision: white yarn with little BRIGHT PINK bumps all through out it. I want this yarn. I want to make this yarn. I lust for it, and the experience of the feel of it through my hands....

Sorry I wrote so much, I don't have anywhere else to get all of this fibery excitement out very often. I mean, my loving husband sometimes lets me speak of these things, but he doesn't understand.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011 11:10:40 AM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
k_cat
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2011 11:50:56 AM »

I HAVE ACCOMPLISHED MY GOAL!
Yeah! Grin That's cool! Are you ready for another month of fiber group insanity therapy?

*light bulb* What if I were to save these noils, wash them, dye them, and then use as additives myself? F*** using someone else's, I can save my own waste and use it! Yay! I have a vision: white yarn with little BRIGHT PINK bumps all through out it. I want this yarn. I want to make this yarn. I lust for it, and the experience of the feel of it through my hands....
I am saving those little noils (at least sometimes), and they're already dyed because I am too lazy to pick them out before dying. So I put them aside while spinning, until my cat tries to eat them. Wink

Sorry I wrote so much, I don't have anywhere else to get all of this fibery excitement out very often. I mean, my loving husband sometimes lets me speak of these things, but he doesn't understand.
I know how you feel. My boyfriend always says "Uhm. I don't get it? This is just yarn/wool/...? Like the rest?", but my mother is fiber crazy... She's more into knitting at the moment, but she enjoys me talking about all this stuff... So I guess I'm lucky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
textilejnkie
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2011 02:54:52 PM »

this weekend I test drove my hand carders.  I used youtube to find out how to use them.

Here is a question for experienced spinners.  I have a drop spindle.  Can I still spin off the rollages that I made?  Is there something else I should have done with this?  I have a basket full now, and I can wait to finish the current project to try playing with them.

oh, and I would love for this to continue without the prizes.  It was very generous of you to offer them, but I don't think they are necessary.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Work with the Metadata Panel in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Move and Delete Images in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Sort and Rotate Images in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Use Bridge Slideshow in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Analyze and Group Images in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...