A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,168
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing spin-along! (or fiber stash busting event!)  (Read 17901 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

k_cat
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2011 07:13:28 AM »

@jexxican: 90s??? We're in the (insert calculation here) 50s. You've got summer already. Wow.  Cheesy

I've done it with kool-aid, in my largest jar. However, a woman gave me these much larger glass jars (gallon, I think) recently, that I've stuck in my stash of dyeing containers, which I'm planning for sun experiments. I will be sticking to acid dyes, though.  I tried dandelion roots once, which are supposed to be purple, and all I got was a sad beige. Tongue  Maybe I didn't have enough? Either way, in my life, time is the limiting variable, and I've got commercial dyes a plenty.
With the colour that is supposed to come off dandelion roots - did you use the right mordant and/or the right modifier? The right temperature? The beige might be a sign for "not enough plant material". Was it a light beige or a strong beige? BUT: In my experience, even a not-enough/light colour should show the right tendency. Which points to the question of modifiers... Or the recipe.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2011 10:08:47 AM »

it was reported that you would get purple without a mordant, which is why I tried it.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k_cat
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2011 11:16:52 AM »

I've started the yarn that will (or will not) be plyed with beads... I like the colours and the working title is "Scarborough Fair", because it contains parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.  Cheesy It's Merino + Acid dyes...

Don't know whether it's going to be 2- or 3-ply... And I didn't pre-draft it or something like that, I just picked up a new colour whenever I liked to. (In fact, I normally never pre-draft...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2011 07:26:22 PM »

Nice!  I love the name too (old Simon & Garfunkle fan here).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
k_cat
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2011 05:39:23 AM »

While I'm working on Scarborough Fair (and getting ready for another doctor's appointment) I thought about a proper goal for next month. I'll continue spinning as much as I can (although university starts on April 4th) and I'll probably give another skein goal, but I want to try something that I was mostly too "afraid" of to do: SINGLES. Because my shy experiments with this NEVER turned out the way I wanted (too ambitious Grin) and I always plyed it in the end...
I just can't seem to get the "right" consistency for a single. They either break before they reach my bobbin or they get twisted
too much so they ply back on themselves constantly. Tried this with two wheels and my spindles, but I still can't do it. Maybe I'm too impatient.
Or are there secret tips I failed to read? Wink Do you have any advice for me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #125 on: March 28, 2011 08:38:57 AM »

What method of drafting are you using?

After getting Paula Simmons' book Spinning for Softness & Speed, I started using a supported long draw.  This method requires well prepared roving or locks.

I believe Paula is still selling the book (it was out of print for quite a few years).  I know I've seen her advertisement in the back of Spin-Off.  I'll see if I can find it.

I didn't find her ad for the book, but she has one for the Pat Green Carders.  

She is in Chilliwack, B.C, Canada toll free phone 877.898.2273  Ms Simmons is a legend in spinning and yes, she will probably answer the phone herself.

There are also some used ones on Amazon
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011 08:42:55 AM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2011 09:52:22 AM »

instead of spinning dog fur last night, I spun that.^  It was so liberating to do something I wanted to, and renewed my vigor in spinning the puppy fluff.    Always good to let loose once in a while.  The twist isn't spun and one day I hope to display it like this nevermind, for some reason I can't find the pick of how Pluckyfluff displayed some yarn at that show... :/
I'll do my best to explain in words:  there was a series of nails level and evenly apart and she wrapped it across and down and across and down etc..... Hope you get the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k_cat
« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2011 05:04:14 PM »

@mullerslanefarm: Thank you! I'm going to look for the supported long draw... I don't really now what kind of draw I'm using - it's more of a "traditional way", whatever that is. And, to be honest, this never really mattered around here. Wink

I mean... I learned spinning from my mother and my grandfather. My mother is amused every time I start something "new", like Navajo plying. Besides, I live in Germany, so - although I have very few problems regarding English - I sometimes have difficulties with English words for spinning stuff. And there are some things I never read in German books, only in strange translated versions of English books or in books I ordered via Amazon,  etc.. I got the impression that it was another spinning culture, and now we're gradually getting "flooded" by American trends, thanks to the internet. Cheesy

Anyway, I did a test ply with the first half of my Scarborough Fair yarn. Merino + black Nylon thread + beads!

This picture is too bright, the last one is closer to the original colours...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2011 05:32:35 PM »

Great idea with the beads!!  I love it!  It really sets off the black thread and the colors of the yarn.

Bella, that looks so soft and cushy!  I wish I could reach into the picture and touch it!  Wow!  Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2011 06:38:14 PM »

thanks MLF.  Its bamboo, so it's super di doooper soft.  And that's not even the best picture.  I'll have to figure out this resizing thing.... I have some detailed up close shots of the really pretty parts Smiley
K_cat, I love the beads Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Style Sound Off: Scarlett Johansson, Emma Watson, Kim Kardashian, Shailene
Lululemon Releases Line of Post-Workout Clothes
Taylor Swift at Her InStyle November 2013 Cover Shoot
Interview with Zosia Mamet at Her InStyle January 2014 Cover Shoot
Casual Night Out Outfit Tips
Latest Blog Articles
May 4, 2016 Featured Projects
I propose a toast!
Tute Tuesday: Plastic Mesh Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...