A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 307,963
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing spin-along! (or fiber stash busting event!)  (Read 18514 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2011 11:46:09 AM »

here it is Skein 1.  a little lumpy on purpose, so the final fabric will have great texture.

I hid a twoonie in there for size comparison, but you can barely see it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2011 11:54:55 AM »

Ooh, Belladune, I love it! Where did you get it again? I have been thinking about calling the dog grooming places around here but I don't know if they would think that is super weird. I aslo need to call the "zoo" and ask about the llama... I really like your dog hair though! It's super-natural! HAHAHAHA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2011 11:58:58 AM »

I'm spinning it for a friend of a friend.  It's malamute.  she gave me a jumbo huge bag.... I'm only 1/8 of the way through it. :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2011 04:09:23 PM »

I finally started plying the dog last night. 

this should totally be a euphemism for something! Wink

I'm also not sure I'll be able to finish. However, I concocted a plan of action, which seems a little bit cheatery to me, but I'm still going with it.

A. spin up 3 oz of tencel/merino blend
B. spin up 1 oz of tencel/merino blend
C. spin up 4 oz of coordinating targhee fiber

ply A + B until B runs out = yarn 8. ply B +C until either runs out = yarn 9. ply together all odds and ends from previous spinning sessions = yarn 10.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k_cat
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2011 04:12:22 PM »

@Belladune: The dog fur yarn looks fantastic! Does it still smell like a dog? I thought about doing a similar thing, but my dog's fur probably isn't long enough...

I finished the first brown skein today! #6 , First Brown Fleece 1, Navajo plyed.

Still got a whole bag full of carded wool (enough for at least one full bobbin) and an even bigger bag with uncarded (therefore compressed) brown wool. Hehe.

I'm thinking about building a bigger niddy noddy, but I'll have to make sure it's not too big for my umbrella swift...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2011 04:57:58 PM »

@Belladune: The dog fur yarn looks fantastic! Does it still smell like a dog? I thought about doing a similar thing, but my dog's fur probably isn't long enough...

It most definitely does still smell like dog.  But fortunately for me I have a terrible sense of smell, and it's only very faint and ( mostly) un-noticeable to me once I start spinning it.  As for length, it's really quite short, but still spin-able.

I've started reading A Dyer's Garden by Rita Buchanan.... It takes 48 sqft of black eyed susans to dyes 4 oz of fiber....Shocked  And 12 sunflowers to dye 4oz. ..... I'm stupefied. flabbergasted. dumbfounded. flummoxed. (yay thesaurus.) completely taken aback!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k_cat
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2011 05:37:37 PM »

I've started reading A Dyer's Garden by Rita Buchanan.... It takes 48 sqft of black eyed susans to dyes 4 oz of fiber....Shocked  And 12 sunflowers to dye 4oz. ..... I'm stupefied. flabbergasted. dumbfounded. flummoxed. (yay thesaurus.) completely taken aback!   
I got the very same book last year, another addition to my growing collection. It's quite nice, especially with the colourful examples.
Last autumn, I dyed a lot of wool with plants - e.g. calendula+lady's mantle (soft yellow), stinging nettle (olive green), indian balsam (light brownish yellow),... I also gathered other materials for more experiments, like tansy, walnut and chestnut leaves, st.-john's-worth and some fungi. Didn't test all of them yet, because I have to accumulate a lot more colourless yarn before that. And: It REALLY takes a lot of plant material, even for small dyebaths! I gathered two and a half (stuffed) buckets full of nettles to dye 200-250g yarn. But I guess I could have dyed some more if I'd wanted a pastel shade.
Acid dyeing is much easier, but plant dyeing is a lot of fun, too.

I want to try the solar put-yarn-in-a-jar-with-dyeing-plants-technique this summer. Have you tried this yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2011 05:57:34 PM »

I want to try the solar put-yarn-in-a-jar-with-dyeing-plants-technique this summer. Have you tried this yet?
That sounds like sun-tea, and sounds like it could be a lot of fun! Maybe I will get a chance to try it next month even. Temps are already in the 90s here! Hey, I need to figure out a goal for next month. Hmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2011 06:19:32 PM »

Solar dyeing is great and very low impact.

90's!!  Oh my, we were in the 20's last night and they're calling for more snow on Tuesday.

Looks like I'll be spinning more dog fur ... I wish there was someone around to kick me in the rear and remind me why I said 'no more dog fur' after each time I spin the stuff.  This time I specified only combings of undercoat.  It's a Samoya (sp?) so it shouldn't be too bad.  The last time I agree to spin dog fur, the lady decided at the last minute to substitute the hair of her Bichon instead of her Golden Retriever.  I was miserable spinning that stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2011 08:19:29 PM »

I've done it with kool-aid, in my largest jar. However, a woman gave me these much larger glass jars (gallon, I think) recently, that I've stuck in my stash of dyeing containers, which I'm planning for sun experiments. I will be sticking to acid dyes, though.  I tried dandelion roots once, which are supposed to be purple, and all I got was a sad beige. Tongue  Maybe I didn't have enough? Either way, in my life, time is the limiting variable, and I've got commercial dyes a plenty.

Also, someone mentioned procion dyes on veggie fibers! I have both, (been doing t-shirts and quilting fabrics), and yet, it hadn't occurred to me to put them together. But! now! Hey, I could do that thing.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...