A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing spin-along! (or fiber stash busting event!)  (Read 17880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

textilejnkie
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2011 12:53:07 PM »

IT'S MOTHS. MOTHS. MOTHS. MOOOOOOOTHS!
But I'm going to get them. Already put most of my wool in plastic bags and sprayed them with a lovely insecticide. I don't like this stuff, but IT'S MY WOOL!  Shocked They can escape from ME, but they can't escape from the poison!
... Put those moth papers everywhere. And moth traps. And... I think I need to spin now, badly. I need to stroke some wool.
YOU NEED SOME LAVENDER! Moth papers, bah! Lavender and/or cedar will keep them at bay. I order from Knit it up and sometimes she includes little linen bags of lavender and cedar just for that purpose. AND no poison! AND it smells great!

I like pennyroyal and camphor.  Pennyroyal is also great for fleas, so I use that most often.

Good luck with the months. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k_cat
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2011 01:10:31 PM »

YOU NEED SOME LAVENDER! Moth papers, bah! Lavender and/or cedar will keep them at bay. I order from Knit it up and sometimes she includes little linen bags of lavender and cedar just for that purpose. AND no poison! AND it smells great!
Thanks, but I already use little bags of lavender in my wardrobe and in my wool baskets. I even have cedar pieces that I sanded down so they reek of cedar... But all this stuff didn't help. I experienced that once I got moths, the only thing that helps is to really get rid of them by freezing and poisoning everything that's still alive, and use lavender and cedar afterwards to prevent a new invasion. We've got carpets and curtains in every room, and I can't spread the lavender everywhere...
What the hell! My cat just threw a ball of yarn out of a box that is standing on my highest shelf. At least it's moth free...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2011 03:06:31 PM »

I've heard that wrapping your wool in paper will help to keep moths out. They don't eat paper, but they'll make their way through plastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2011 06:13:56 AM »

ugh, moths.  Undecided  I've had a brush with them a few years ago, but luckily they didn't find my stash, just my sweaters.  Angry Now I am more careful.

Anyway! the winner! is! textilejnkie! I will be posting the prizes for you to chose from sometime today. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k_cat
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2011 07:57:35 AM »

Congratulations, textilejnkie!  Smiley

My first corespun. if you can call it that.
"Favourite Fluffy Faux Dreadlock" -  random wool (handdyed yellow, orange, two shades of blue, grey wool, white merino), no pre-drafting, spun thick and thin on purpose around a cotton core - twisted to a long skein for the picture, to show the colours and the texture.

This stuff might be ideal for weaving sturdy stuff.
Need to go now, my boyfriend is making stick shuttles for my rigid heddle loom. I should keep an eye on him, he already tried to use saw and drill ON MY FAVOURITE TABLECLOTH. ("I use the cloth to protect the table from getting holes." "WHAT?")

Oh, and I found cute beads in the craft store, for cheap. *coughs* Already got an idea involving some of my dyed wool...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2011 10:23:22 AM »

that's pretty! I love the colors. corespinning is kinda fun, isn't it? although it does take some fiddling to get it to work... at least, in my experience. that one time I attempted it.

prizes:

textilejnkie, you can choose 4 oz of one of these - from left corridale/mohair blend, mohair braid, and "wool".  The corridale blend is the smooshiest, the wool is kind of coarse. and Mohair is mohair.  Or if you want something more exotic you can choose from 4 oz of camel top (tan) or ingeo (corn fiber - white) not pictured because they are tan and white...   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k_cat
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2011 01:08:10 PM »

yes, core spinning is fun.  Grin

This is not spinning related, but yarn stash busting... Need to get rid of cotton yarn, so I set up my loom. And I need to try the new shuffles...

THIS is what happens every time I put the loom down. Say hello to Dexter - loom lover and yarn killer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2011 08:16:50 PM »

ha. my cats have pretty much grown out of the interest in yarny stuff thing, thank goodness.  I finished another yarn today.  I'm not liking it.  I plied a brown and blue roving with teal silk, and I'm thinking it's too much, and I should have just plied it to itself.  Undecided

But unplying isn't going to happen, right?  Huh ugh, going to bed. maybe it will look better in the morning.

I could cut the silk out and pull it out foot by foot... (it's three ply - two alpaca/merino, one silk - so I should be able to just pull out the third ply without collapsing the others).  Tongue a waste, I know, but man, I'm not happy.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011 08:20:10 PM by astormorray » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2011 05:56:35 AM »

I am short on my goal of 3 bumps/day (by 2, if I average for the week) because most of my fleece still has a lot of lanolin in it, so I had to wash it and it is forcing me to do my hoopla swap, which is good because it's do out on Monday and I just put the needle to the fabric for the first time YESTERDAY! I'm thinking about taking it to MOPS with me today. As for fiber, I'm thinking that 3 bumps/day is most likely too few, but now that I cut my combing time in 1/2 by washing it more maybe I can strive for 6+/day? AH! I really want to get it done! But I also really need to finish these hoops, and the other 2 swaps I'm in! So much to do, so little time. I'm going nuts!  Cheesy <lookit his jiggly eyes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
casmir

Bobbilicious on ravelry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2011 12:44:18 PM »

I forgot to show some of what I've done this month.
It's four ounces of merino that I don't remember buying. Right now I'm beading tufts of fiber to try spinning a beaded single. I hope it works out - it's sure taking enough prep time.

Apparently I still can't add pictures.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011 12:46:54 PM by casmir » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
R.L. Stine: Technology Has Ruined The Art Of Horror Writing
Nicholas Sparks on His Close Encounter with Stephen King
John Irving on Writing About Writers
The Education of Kevin Powell
Nicholas Sparks on His New Book "See Me"
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Belted Chair Seat
Tute Tuesday: Rainbow Skirt
Who? Who Loves Owls?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...