I bought some beautiful print fabric, and it took me a while to decide what I was going to do with it. Luckily some looking through my inspiration folder, some surfing flickr, and a few tutorials helped me decide.
First up - a tulip skirt! I only had a scarce metre of this fabric so I didn't have enough for a waistband or pockets. I still love what I've done, and it only took me a morning of sewing time! I drafted the pattern from this really helpful tutorial. http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/make-a-tulip-skirt-pattern-from-a-pencil-skirt-pattern
Sorry, it's not very easy to pose for self timer in a way that isn't awkward.
The back only looks crooked because I am. As it's a quilting cotton it is a little bit..creasy.
a nice close up of the fabric
With the other fabric I had a lot more than I thought I did, about 180cm by 120 cm, when I thought I'd bought some tiny amount. I should have just done a nice simple shirtdress or something, but I did a smocked design with an a-line skirt and a chiffon yoke, inspired by a dress I'd seen with a lace yoke and pleated bodice (sorry, I have no idea where on the internet that was.) Chiffon was so awful to sew
it kept distorting all over the place when I cut it! It has a stand-up collar but I did make the top a bit wonky. Oh well.
^ that last photo probably has better colour.
The dress has hidden pockets, because although dresses with no pockets is fine when I'm on holiday...I hate not having a pocket for my phone when I'm at university.
I might get some more detail shots later, and upload my design sketches for both if anyone's interested.
I used this tutorial for the smocking: http://tumblingblocks.net/blog/index.cfm/2008/9/22/Honeycomb-Smocking-Tutorial
I warn you..BE VERY CAREFUL to secure your smocking stitches properly. That means knotting on both sides. I thought looping the thread without knotting would work, but whenever I'd put the dress on for a fitting, several smocking stitches would pop out and I'd have to redo them. Oh well! Lesson learnt, and hopefully my next project will be something nice and breezy.