A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,668
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: String Easter Egg Baskets  (Read 6076 times)
Tags for this thread: easter , egg  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

schultebunny
~*~ Little Firefighter Girl ~*~

It's not a matter of size, but a matter of heart.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 27, 2011 09:14:50 PM »

so I'm making these to sell at the local farmer's market and on etsy..
my mom used to make these for me and my sister every year...
she finally passed the knowledge down to me! it's pretty simple... some sort of fabric stiffener or glue that hardens when dry, wrap the soaked string around a balloon, and let dry for 24 hours (or more if you live in a humid environment. Thank you, South Texas) if it's humid outside, DO NOT hang the balloon outside, or it will never dry.I hung mine in the laundry room.
poke a small pin hole in the *ahem* nipple of the balloon, and let it SLOWLY deflate.
stand it up on a small styrofoam donut, and decorate using hot glue gun and fabric flowers.
simple.

then stuff with Easter grass and some Easter goodies (watch the weight of the goodies)

Walgreens and walmart and a local dollar store is the best place to find cute cheap stuff.
Duck-$.99
puzzle-$.69
easter eggs-$1
peeps-$.69
the glue was the most expensive (trust me, spend the extra money and get the GOOD STUFF. you won't regret it)
and the yarn was second at $2

C&C always welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Working on getting back into swaps after some crazy two years!~

Please help me with my "patchwork" station blanket! I would love to get fire department patches! Thanks!
Radmom
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011 10:49:27 PM »

Okay, these are priceless! Simple and creative, and I am totally grateful. I'm also borrowing, no stealing this idea for good purpose. I like unique ideas, and this has Ostara  basket written for my daughters all over it! Thanks so much for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schultebunny

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011 06:03:21 AM »

you're welcome!
and be warned, it takes about 4 hands to do this... my mom and I are still not sure how she did this by herself when I was a kid...  Huh
you'll end up with an epic sticky mess if you don't have help (learn from my experience... water soluble glue does NOT wash away with a water and soap soaked scrubbie....)
but have fun!
also, watch out for burns... I got my first hot glue burn while doing this...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please help me with my "patchwork" station blanket! I would love to get fire department patches! Thanks!
arcadian green
I wants flies in on dragons!

I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011 04:19:36 PM »

I love this! I kind of want to make myself one for Easter and not just for my kid.  Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taraston
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011 06:08:09 PM »

I used to do these with my mom!  I loved doing them. Thanks for the great explaination. I may have to try these again this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May a sunbeam warm you, a moonbeam charm you, and a craft idea hit like monkeys flinging poo.
ivoryh1632
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011 12:17:32 AM »

i love this idea, i've seen this string thing done to make bowls before but i love it as an easter basket, different and super cute. also, how old are you and you just now got your first glue gun burn? lol you must either be really good with a glue gun or don't use it very often, i swear i burn myself every time i use the darn thing, even if i'm using a low temp one lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schultebunny

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011 06:39:35 AM »

lol, 24, and I was always very careful, or was always working with broad, flat surfaces (like cardboard to cardboard), and never got anywhere near the glue while it was hot.
plus, dad's a firefighter/paramedic, and always freaked out when I played with hot glue.
when I make the baskets, I have to pinch the lace onto a thin cardboard backer, and sometimes the glue leaks through the lace, or leaks out the sides and onto my fingers. which is how I got my first burn. Smiley
don't be fooled though. I burn myself on everything else (raise your hand if you knew that if you use a blender for an extended period of time that the bottom gear drive thingy gets kinda hot? *raises hand while nursing burned fingers*)  Grin
but with this crafty thing, it's totally worth it! I've got a pink (my fav color) basket sitting between my plants at work, and everyone loves it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011 02:53:14 AM »

The burn are always worth it when the project comes out looking good. Its the burns from a failed project that have me kicking myself. But I have a tendacy to work with a lot of small things and for some reason I still haven't gotten a glue gun with a small tip, which would probably cut down on the burns but some how I never seem to think of it when I'm at the store. Oh and don't feel bad, I've actually burnt myself on the blender like that too, luckily when I did it I was making daquiris so the alchohol helped ease the pain  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adjusting the Contours of an Image
Adding Luminosity to an Image
How to use Animation Presets in After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 Tutorial - Reconnecting Footage
The Orton Effect in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...