A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 306,055
Currently Running With Scissors:
338 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A dressmaking adventure  (Read 2225 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cherry_blossom55
« on: February 27, 2011 11:27:18 AM »

Hi all! This thread is more for my organization than anything, but feel free to post comments or suggestions as I really do appreciate them!

My fiancee and I are planning to get married in August 2012. We've already been engaged for a year and a half and we've got a year and a half more to go. I knew right away I wanted to sew my own wedding dress (more dress for less money!) cause I love sewing, I think it will be more special that way, and we're both in university and will be paying off loans and trying to buy a house, etc etc...so low budget wedding!

This weekend I went to a bridal salon with my bridesmaids to try some things on. My purpose was to decide on a silhouette, maybe fabric, get ideas for details etc, but I put on this one dress (Pronovias 'Alce') and just about DIED, CRIED, and giggled my girly little ass off. It is absolutely, without question, the dress I want. With only very minor changes, it is PERFECT. (the images show it with straps, which we had detached because I didn't like them, and I also had an ivory 1" wide grosgrain ribbon tied just under the bustline- THIS is how it was perfect, so not exactly as the images show)

Downside? try $1760

Upside? I think it looks even better on me than on the skinny model Cheesy Yay for curves!

So my mission is to recreate a designer dress. Challenging? Probably. Exciting? Absolutely. Scary? You bet your ass. But I'm doing it. Progress won't start until the end of this semester, but I will update the thread often once I start.

Details:
-more noticeable without the straps, but the edge at the neckline and at the back is scalloped, and SO adorable Cheesy
-the bodice is lace, blending into a light (very fine) tulle skirt
-all seams are barely noticeable, so the silhouette is very smooth
-the skirt begins to flare at the widest point of the hips
-my version will probably not have a train because I hate the way bustled skirts look. it will brush the floor equally in the front and back
-the commercial dress has a built-in bustier with an elasticized back (separate closure from the outer dress) which I will probably recreate because it helps the dress to stay in place and cinches the waist just a tad
-the back closure is a zipper, I may add a row of small buttons as well because they're just bloody awesome and I think they would suit the dress. I won't decide this until the dress is nearly complete though.

To accessorize, I'm thinking a birdcage veil with a simple fascinator. I don't know if it will go well together though, because they only put a regular veil on me at the salon. I will see how I feel about it later. If I don't like the birdcage veil, I'll stick with just the fascinator and no veil at all.

That's it for now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011 11:55:24 AM »

Go for it! I've been making custom wedding gowns for over 25 years, and work in a store that carries Pronovias dresses.
  You can do this!
Make a fitting muslin, and sew it in a heavy cotton. have someone pin it for you. You can make a corset back, and then you won't need the inside belt. Just a modesty panel, and a very long tie. Of course, if you do a zipper and buttons, don 't forget the elastic loops. They need to be functional.
  As for the scallopped edges, that is just from the lace. The main construction is a smooth seam, cut with a slight dip in the center front.
  A very nice design change would be making a halter out of the tulle, and
having it come from under the bust-line, over the bust, and up around the neck. This is how my dress will be. I picked out something a lot similar, only the netting starts a little lower.
  Please let me know if you need any real advice! I'm happy to help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherry_blossom55
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011 01:37:53 PM »

Thank you very much for the advice! Your directions pretty well outline what my plan of action was, so it's good to have validation from someone who really knows what they are doing. Smiley If I run into any snags or confusion I will keep you in mind, thanks for offering!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancedupapillon
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011 07:30:12 AM »

Oh good luck!  I'm in a similar boat (getting married in May 2012) and want to make my dress too.  The only dress I've tried on that I really like yet was 2000$ and is made of satin and mermaid-y and way beyond my perceived sewing skills.  Luckily, I have my mom's help.

Please post progress pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011 05:26:21 PM »

I definitely will!

I hope between you and your mom you can create the dress of your dreams Smiley good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table
Tute Tuesday: Mrs. Weasley Inspired Burrow Afghan
Creative Craft Supplies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...