A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ugliest sweater ever --critiques please!  (Read 945 times)
Tags for this thread: sweater , basketweave  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elmom
« on: February 27, 2011 10:50:44 AM »

so I'm pretty new to knitting. i did a nice blue heather wool sweater for my daughter that turned out OK, but i now think was beginner's luck!

i think after this i've convinced my (cheap) self that i have to use nice yarn/wool. This is Lion Brand Wool Ease, thick and chunky.
 i wanted to do this to see if i could follow a basketweave pattern (i pretty much could) but the sleeves are toooo long and the body (although i followed the pattern) is too short. the armpit is too tight. this is the pattern: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/30306AD.html?noImages=
also, i'm terrible at setting in sleeves... any advice there? I start sewing at the shoulder, fold the sleeve in half to line it up, then sew from the cuff half way up, then sweater body and armpit last. but i do end up fudging in the armpit. I think some patterns are just better than others.
any advice will be warmly welcomed!!  Undecided

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011 10:51:37 AM by elmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged
missemotionless
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011 11:25:55 AM »

did you check your gauges? That could be why the body and the sleeves are off (it took me awhile to realize that the gauges are there for a reason when i started knitting  Cheesy ). As for the sleeves i had the same problem when i first started knitting too. I started crocheting the two peices together and that helped make it stretchier so it wasnt tight. I also always start at the armpit because i find that the starting and ending point is always the ugliest. Maybe starting there will help you too. I hope this helps, sorry if it doesnt!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011 01:49:13 PM »

Yes, compare your row gauge to the pattern and you may have to adjust for your arms or body length anyway. Most patterns give the lengths as a measurement, but if they say 'work 46 rows' and your row gauge is off, then you need to convert that to inches and then knit that length. I have longer arms so I'd probably make sleeves a couple inches longer than the patterns say (if I followed patterns).

It's much easier to sew in the top of the sleeve from the shoulder to the underam before you sew the side and sleeve seams. Then you can do those as one long seam. Better yet is to make a top down seamless sweater then there's no sewing needed at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011 08:46:19 AM »

First off, that is definitely NOT the most ugliest sweater I've seen.

Second, you're pretty new to knitting, so don't stress if things aren't perfect! They are learning experiences.

Third, I agree with the previous posters, you might've had a gauge-issue.  Give it another try perhaps with a top-down raglan pattern, those are great first-sweaters Smiley  The nicer the yarn doesn't necessarily make better sweaters.  Better to learn and make mistakes with less-than-stellar yarn first and then knit something with nicer yarn once you've polished the skills needed for the pattern Smiley

Just my two cents anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011 09:17:05 AM »

It doesn't look bad at all. I haven't got that much to say about the armpits but take a sweater that fits and have a look there, probably you need to insert a piece... but adding some length to the body shouldn't be that much of a problem, then you'd have a sweater that's long at arms and body, so your daughter can grow into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eric Puchner Talks About Model Home
Murder, Mayhem and a Fine Man Book Trailer
Meet Author Stef Penney
Ian Falconer Talks About Olivia Goes to Venice
Gwyn Cready Talks About Aching for Always
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...