A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
843 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: super easy (fairy-) skirt tutorial ( picture heavy!)  (Read 2265 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anjapiranja
« on: February 27, 2011 10:30:58 AM »

thought i'd share this little tutorial on how to do this skirt :

the skirt is part of my "spring fairy costume" which you can see here  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=374070.msg4406045#msg4406045

so let's start!

here's what you will need:
- fabric ( i usef 100% polyester. it was sold as garlands at ikea and 300cm X 40cm cost only 1,60! i bought two of them because i didn't exactly know how much i would need) ( did i mention that this fabric doesn't need any hem? Wink )
- yarn
-sewing needle
- scissors
- measuring tape
- fixing pins
-elastic

1. step: the waistband
- measure your waist. add some more inches ( my waist was 93 cm, so i added 7 cm = 100cm) (blue line)
- the widh of the waistband depends on you,of course. mine was 12cm ( we're going to fold it later, so
in the end, mine was something like 4cm) ( red line)

2. step: the two layers.
they should both be 2x the lenght of your waist. the widh depends on how long or short you want your skirt to be. but the 2nd layer should be a bit shorter than the first one.

3. so here's what we've got so far

4. next step - the ruffles: sew along your both layers with easy stiches like so (make soure you fix the ends of the yarn with knots so it won't slip):

..closer look..

5. now take your first layer of fabric and lay it next to your waistband. pull the yarn until the fabric has the same
lenght as your waistband. make a knot and don't worry about the ruffles beeing uneven,we'll take care if this later Wink
then do the same with the 2nd layer of fabric.

6. now we're going to sew the layers to the waistband, starting with the 1. layer ( the longer one)
take your fabric and put it on the under 3. part ( get what i mean? hope the picture helps^^) of the (unfolded) waistband:

7. now adjust your ruffles ( fixing both ends first helps a lot) , fix them with your fixing needles and then sew along. ( i made it by hand because i was too lazy to unpack my sewing machine, but this should work too,of course)

( now you can remove the yarn you used to do the ruffles)

do the same with the second layer of fabric ( the shorter one) .just put it on top of the first layer and repeat step 7!

8. here we go ...

9. now the weird part. i bet there must be one million ways to do this better than i did, but well,at least it worked.
picture :   "1" = your skirt so far.
               "2" =  fold your waistband until it reaches your ruffles. maybe you want to fix it so it won't slip
               "3" = now fold your waistband again, this time over your ruffles. fix it with pins and then sew along.

+

( by the way: before folding over, i inserted a piece of thick wool as a spaceholder for the elastic)

10. closing the skirt: turn your skirt inside out, so you face the backside of the longer layer( 1 ). fix the ends together and sew along ( just until you reach the waistband, don't sew over the waistband!)

then turn your skirt and do the same with the shorter layer.

11. take the elastic and put it around your waist to measure how long it should be. cut it ( leave some inches so you can make a knot later). pull it trough your waistband ( i knotted it to the wool so it was pretty easy to pull it trough). make a knot and try your skirt on, so you can alter the elastic if its too tight or loose.

then close your elastic-band-loop-thingy on your waistband.
we're done!!

hope you liked my tutorial. if there are any questions left, feel free to ask Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hoda Kotb on Ten Years Later
Wahida Clark on the Thugs Series
A Trailer for The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury
A Trailer for Whirlybirds and Ordinary Times by Katie Savage
A Trailer for Iscariot: A Novel of Judas by Tosca Lee
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...