A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,958
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is a walking foot necessary?  (Read 3155 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rockthatfish
« on: February 26, 2011 03:42:39 PM »

Hi all. I am starting my very first quilt and have been doing a LOT of reading up on tricks of the trade. But I'm curious, do I need a walking foot? If I use low loft batting, will using a regular presser foot really be that hard to use? I have a Brother LS-2020, and I'm having a hard time finding a walking foot to buy even if I do need one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ravengirl103

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011 07:46:49 PM »

A walking foot helps all three layers glide together when you quilt.  I tried quilting without one.  There were a ton of puckers and lots of cursing!  LOL 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011 08:45:19 PM »

Well, you need either a walking foot or a free motion foot (and a machine that can have lowered feed dogs).

There are a number of universal walking feet available out there, as well - perhaps try one of those?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockthatfish
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011 04:24:29 AM »

Well, you need either a walking foot or a free motion foot (and a machine that can have lowered feed dogs).

There are a number of universal walking feet available out there, as well - perhaps try one of those?

i looked up in my manual in the darning section, and it says for free-motion sewing, that all i need to do is cover the feed dogs with the darning plate, and then remove the presser foot and push down the lever as if there was a presser foot there anyway.

i tried buying a walking foot yesterday, but it was the wrong shank, so i'll have to return it. actually, my machine isn't slant, high, or low shank. it's just a snap on foot. and the one website where i found snap on walking feet for sale, they had 3 or 4 different ones and claimed they were somehow different, and i don't want to order the wrong one! i'm just so confused when it comes to figuring out what feet fit, haha, sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011 02:18:45 PM »

LOL... I know it's all confusing at first. There's actually a section of craftster specifically for sewing machines, and the people there are usually tremendously helpful (and know more about specific machines, whereas here it's a little more technique based) - check it out over here - that may be more helpful.

And yup - for free motion, it looks like you're all set, just practice, practice, practice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011 12:47:59 PM »

I personally don't use a walking foot.  (I have one, I just hate it.)  I also don't use the free motion style (which is where you cover/lower the feed dogs and take the presser foot off).  I use a regular foot.  BUT there are several things you have to do to prep for a good quilting experience without a walking foot.  The number one most important thing to to baste, baste, baste.  You can use a spray adhesive or curved safety pins, whichever you prefer; just make sure your fabric is all as smooth as you can get it.  No wrinkles at all!!  Then pin the heck out of that baby...seriously, at least every 3 inches.  You'll spend a heck of a lot of time taking pins out but that's the only way you'll avoid puckers.  You'll need to help your machine feed the fabric through as well, but don't pull too hard!  It's easy to snap a needle with that much fabric under it.

So those are my tips...let me know if you try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
rnicn2001
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011 10:43:39 AM »

I did two small quilts when I started sewing with a regular foot and it worked out fine, but there was LOTS of foul language. When I figured out how to use the walking foot that came with my machine it was like heaven. I find it much easier (and more enjoyable) to use a walking foot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitty mcpretty
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011 01:06:04 PM »

I agree, the walking foot does make it so much easier.  I did a couple smaller size quilts a couple years ago without a walking foot and had several puckers which was disappointing, so I gave up on the idea of ever machine quilting again.  Recently I decided to get a walking foot and try again.  I machine quilted a baby quilt last weekend, just on a diagonal every few inches, and it was soooo much easier, and enjoyable.  I was so surprised that I was able to do that with my own machine! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
saraheliza
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011 01:55:27 AM »

Another agreement here - a walking foot makes life a lot easier, and tends to give much better results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thingsivemade
Trying to sew the fabric of the universe with invisible thread is tricky.

A wielder of karma and scissors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011 02:56:41 AM »

I recently bought a bog standard walking foot and it works wonders for me. I've been working on a pinwheel quilt using many different types of fabric, including satin/slippery material and it all holds up really well together. (I guess the freezer paper also helped as well Grin)
 It took a bit of practise to figure out how to attach the damn thing (my sewing machine is also a snap on foot thingy) but I eventually figured out that I had to unscrew part of the shank to attach it. I'm probably not describing that right but I'm still half asleep here.

I've seen walking feet for sale for Brother machines, if you lived in Dublin I'd certainly be able to help you out! Until then, try this site:
http://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewing/Accessories/AccessoryDetail.aspx?R3AccessoryID=SA169

As for needing one, I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary, but it definitely makes life a lot easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can have whirlpools in the fabric of existence, because it is a very strange fabric." - Terry Pratchett (Equal Rites)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Marilyn Monroe’s Winged Eyeliner
SELF Magazine’s 2014 Healthy Beauty Award Winners
How to Apply Blush
The Best Makeup at Sephora
Melt-Proof Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...