A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,651
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altered Altoid Tin Tutorial  (Read 43467 times)
Tags for this thread: altered_art , tutorial , altered_altoids_tin , altoids_tin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2011 12:36:36 PM »

I promised a couple of months ago to post a tutorial for altering Altoid tins, and I've finally gotten around to writing it. Altering tins is really fun and easy to do! I've altered dozens of tins, and have learned a few tricks I'd like share with you. Here's what we're making today:

And here's what you'll need: Mod Podge (I prefer Matte Finish), an old ink pad, heavy scrapbook paper (for this tin, I used paper from Graphic 45), a sharp exacto blade, an inexpensive sponge brush, a straight edge, a ruler, a brayer if you have one, and an empty Altoid tin.

Figure out where your pattern will fall on the top of the tin by holding the tin and the paper up to a bright light. You'll be able to see the shadow of the tin through the paper. Center any motifs or patterns in the paper. Make sure you pay attention to placement. Carefully flip the paper over with the tin in place, and trace around the tin. Remove the tin, and brush a good amount of Mod Podge on the top of the tin. Once you've got good coverage, flip the tin over and put it down where you marked the position. If you've got a brayer, use it to make sure the paper is adhered well.

Now flip the tin and paper over, and with your sharp exacto blade (don't be stingy; change your blade often!), carefully cut around the edge of the tin.

Look how perfect the top is! This way of cutting it out assures a perfect fit every time. *Before you go further, if you don't have another tin to use for measurement, trace around the bottom of this tin twice with whatever paper you want to use for the inside (one piece for the inside top, one piece for the bottom).

Now take your old ink pad and scrape it around the edge to get rid of the stark white edge of the paper and to give the top a little aging. This will help camouflage any little flaws that may occur when you cover the sides. Cover the bottom of the tin in the same way, and ink the edges.

Very carefully measure the side. You will covering the sides with two separate pieces. You know the old saying: "measure twice, cut once". Do it. Even though I have altered several tins, I measure each time, just in case the tin I'm working on is a little different from the last.

Making sure your measurements are very accurate, cut the strips needed to cover the sides. Once they're cut, use your ink pad to distress the edges a bit before you begin to adhere them to the sides.

Let's do the top strip first. Check to make sure you actually cut it to the right size to fit. Then, brush the Mod Podge on the narrow side of the top, and begin attaching the strip, making sure you butt the paper right up against the little lip of the tin. Pay special attention to the corners, as the paper may want to gap in those areas. Smooth as you go.

You're going to have to cut a little around the hinges in the back. The best way to do this is to slice the paper carefully along the side of each hinge. Once you've made those four little cuts, use your fingernail along the long side of the hinge to fold the paper up on the hinge. You can cut the paper there if you wish, but generally folding it there will hide it well enough.

The strip of paper will be a little longer than you need. I find it's best to trim off the extra little bit when you see how the pattern of the paper will look at the overlap. Try to make the seam as invisible as possible. When you do the bottom, make sure the patterns on the two strips match up as closely as possible. Little things like this make such a big difference! You'll most likely have to cut out around the bottom hinge. Just use your blade to cut along each short side of the hinges, and then cut along the bottom of the hinge to remove the little flap you created. It's very important that your blade is sharp for this step, as a dull blade will tear the wet-with-glue paper.

Now for the inside! If you haven't already done so, trace the BOTTOM of a spare tin onto the papers you want to use to cover the inside top and bottom of the tin. For the inside top, cut just barely within the lines of your tracing. Fit the paper into the top and make sure you have a good fit. Trim a little if necessary. For the bottom of the inside, you will have to cut a tinier bit more inside of your tracing lines. Remember, you can always trim more, so be conservative at first, and keep fitting the piece as often as needed, until you get it right. Measure the side of the tin, and cut a strip to cover. Ink all your edges, and then adhere the paper to the bottom of the tin. Put the side strip in, tucked carefully under the lip. Start from the back, as pictured, so your seam will be in the front of the tin, where it will be less noticable. Pay attention to how the pattern falls. Really tuck those corners in tightly. The paper is going to want to pull out, so watch it and make those corners obey!

Put a good coat of Mod Podge on the bottom and sides to seal. Glue in the top paper, and seal it as well.

If you're like me, you're going to have a little Mod Podge residue on the exposed metal parts of the tin, both on the side of the tin and on the inside lip of the top, as well as on the hinges.  Scrape all that off with your fingernail. Clean that bad boy up!

Now that your tin is fully covered, decorate and embellish. To make sure your images fit perfectly, glue them on with parts hanging over the edges, and then flip over the tin and trim to fit. Make sure you edge the corners. Coat the entire tin with Mod Podge to seal any edges. When the tin is dry, you can further embellish it. I added some Dresden trim under the lip of the side, and a few metal bits. The Dresden trim was attached with Tacky Glue, but any metal parts are best adhered with E6000 glue. Here's the finished project:

Sometimes I like using beads for feet, or ribbons for trim; the decorating possibilities are endless. Don't ever throw those tins away. Make something!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011 06:06:10 AM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
onecrazymom
different day, different craft!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011 12:46:24 PM »

Beautiful!!  I have sooo many of those tins- LOVE to alter them.  (I was very disappointed when they decided to make the tins dimensional....  Tongue

Thanks so much for the tute- even tho I've made many, it's nice to read someone else's tricks- sometimes thats where I've messed up in the past! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ETSY shop! www.designsonawhim. etsy.com
My WISTS! http://www.wists.com/onecrazymom
My PINTEREST! http://pinterest.com/onecrazymom/

...even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas....
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011 12:53:56 PM »

I hear you on that dimensional problem. I still have a few flat tins left. I dread when I have to start using the tins with the raised lids. I'm hoping that the heavier scrapbook papers will mask that embossing, since I cover both sides of the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011 12:54:50 PM »

I love altered tins Smiley this one is great too...I use them in all the cars, backpacks purse, motorcycles for first aid kits and sewing kits and then give them away too to all our friends that ride and they are a total hit, easy peasy and just a thoughtful thing...

Teachers love them too Smiley

What do you do with yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011 12:55:55 PM »

Beautiful!!  I have sooo many of those tins- LOVE to alter them.  (I was very disappointed when they decided to make the tins dimensional....  Tongue

Thanks so much for the tute- even tho I've made many, it's nice to read someone else's tricks- sometimes thats where I've messed up in the past! 

a very thin layer of clay fixes that issue too  Shocked Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
realityinvazion
Mrs. Nesbitt

I intend to deserve it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011 12:59:11 PM »

I've saved SO MANY of these over the years for organizing all my little beads and nick-knacks. I never thought of prettying them up like this! Great idea :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

9 out of 10 British housewives can't tell the difference between my butter and a dead crab.
Brackish Potato
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011 01:09:51 PM »

Thanks for the tute, rackycoo! I will definitely try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists.

"Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!" -Dr. Seuss
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011 01:10:42 PM »

Thanks for such a timely and useful tutorial with such a lovely result!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WildeHeart2105
McPhd

Aut vincere aut mori

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011 01:11:59 PM »

I was JUST driving around today thinking about doing an altered tin but had no idea where to start. Thank you for this and the perfect timing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psychology Instructor & Personal Trainer

http://www.EricaDHouse.com
audio
Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011 01:14:56 PM »

The dimensional things is annoying! Maybe you can hammer it down? Oh Clay is a good idea onecrazymom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Glittered Holiday Cards
How to Print Holiday Gift Bags
How to Make Glittered Christmas Ornaments
How to Use a Scanner to Make Holiday Cards
How to Make a Christmas Card Scrapbook
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...