A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
840 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altered Altoid Tin Tutorial  (Read 42604 times)
Tags for this thread: altered_art , tutorial , altered_altoids_tin , altoids_tin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Luna1375
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011 06:21:48 AM »

When I use matte Mod Podge it's always tacky, even after several days. Perhaps I'm in a more humid climate? Anyway, any brand of spray on clear acrylic sealer works just fine to remove tackiness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can totally buy stuff I make!  http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftyluna  Smiley
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011 06:25:34 AM »

Thanks so much for the tutorial, Rackycoo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011 06:35:51 AM »

I hear you on that dimensional problem. I still have a few flat tins left. I dread when I have to start using the tins with the raised lids. I'm hoping that the heavier scrapbook papers will mask that embossing, since I cover both sides of the top.

I was going to ask where you found the flat tins, but you've answered my question.  I also make sewing and first aid kits out of small tins.  I tend to make and give the sewing kits to my students.  (I teach sewing/costume construction at a university, so my students tend to have very large sewing kits, but nothing portable.)  My problem with travel sewing kits is that they usually have TERRIBLE scissors that don't cut anything (and lousy needles/pins/thread/everything).  I recently discovered a tiny 2 1/2" titanium set by Acme.  They were $5 a pair at Joann's, but I found a huge stack of them at Big Lot's for $1 each.  They fit inside an Altoid's tin, or even a slightly smaller tin really well, but still have enough space in the handles for your fingers, and are sharp as the Dickens.  (Joann's also has this set, which is on sale and a cuter color scheme. Blooms.)

To go back to my original point though, I've been on the lookout for flat tins that I could cover & embellish.  I bumped into these Wonka Exceptionals while in the checkout at Walmart a few months back.  The tins are great.  Nice and flat on the top and the bottom.  Plus a fun round shape.  No hinge like with Altoids, but the lids seem to stay on very well.  I ran out of the original candy and have refilled it with lemon drops several times now.  It's been hanging out in my purse about 2 months and shows no real signs of wear and tear.  So, now that it's been properly road tested, and now that I have such an awesome tutorial from rackycoo, maybe I'll go ahead and decorate it later today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on lists and forget to craft.
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011 07:17:19 AM »

Thanks for the tip on the matte finish.  I'll have to see what I have on the shelf.  I doubt that I'd buy glossy since I'm not a glossy kind of a gal Wink
Some of my tins I might paint but most I think I'm going to use paper or fabric.  I am not quite ready to fully jump in as I realized over the weekend that the first is on Tuesday!!  I've got to finish up my site's new pattern and get ready for the quilt guild meeting!  I lost track of time!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011 07:25:19 AM »

Even if you're using paint, don't try to paint the part of the side that will be covered by the top when the tin is closed! Either you won't be able to close the tin, or the top part will scrape off your paint, ruining all your work.

As for flat lids, I believe Paul Newman mint tins are flat, as are Trader Joe's brands. Once I run out of flat lids, I may have to change my mint of choice.  Cheesy

jennieingram, I love little Altoid sewing kits and first aid kits. I've also seen some "wardrobe malfunction kits", which include little individually packaged Tide detergent wipes as well as a couple of buttons and some thread.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Balatong
Tutorial Contributor

chain, chain, chain

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011 08:00:25 AM »

That is so cool!  I need to eat more altoids...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skuldintape

Cats and chemistry

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011 08:04:36 AM »

It looks so good. Thanks for the detailed tutorial - I think the tips will be helpful in a lot of projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011 08:19:22 AM »

The scrapbook paper does a pretty good job of masking the embossed lid. I made travel candles out of newer Altoid tins and covered them with scrapbook paper. I'd say, unless you were REALLY looking for that embossing, you'd never notice it. Especially if you are layering images.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011 08:30:32 AM »

What a fabulous tutorial Smiley
I'm in the process of altering some tins for myself.  Right now they have been primered and spray painted.  You've got perfect timing in posting this  Smiley

I got a question - do I need to use a sealer after all is said and done?  I'm not a big modge podge person as everything I've seen done with it feels a bit tacky - but maybe those projects the people went modge podge crazy?   If you do use a sealer which would you recommend?

If you're painting and not using paper, I don't know that you would need a sealer. If you want to use one, though, I would use a clear spray on version. As for the Mod Podge, I have found that the glossy version is often tacky, but I've never had problems with the matte finish.
My go to with out any issue is ROTFL..Clear fingernail polish Smiley never had an issue with it But I dont use the wet and wild ones that are a little more costly but not bank breakers Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011 08:33:30 AM »

Okay okay...so maybe I CAN do this. Wink At least I'll give it a shot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd .etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add a Pattern Overlay to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add a Satin Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add a Shape in After Effects CS3
How to Add a Stroke to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add an Inner Glow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...