A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! No gauge listed- need to adjust for needle size...  (Read 546 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Luv2CUSmile
« on: February 25, 2011 09:59:55 AM »

Okay, I have found a pretty basic but very nice purse pattern that I am going to try out as a "beginner" project...
I know basics but need to get comfortable with adding techniques in gradually so I can feel confident to move towards more patterns, dpn's, and circular needles...

Now, the pattern I found is at Midnight Knitter-
It calls for a size 9 needle which I don't have- I have 8's and 10's- (I will buy size 9 eventually now but would rather start this project today than wait)
The pattern calls for casting on 26 stitches and is worked in a pattern of K & P...
I figured if I counted stitches from center out and then added a knit to each side of center in the pattern I could use my size 8 needles to obtain the size of the finished product...
Any advice on how many stitches to add or how to find a gauge where a gauge is not given so I can calculate this better?

i.e.- one line in the pattern after casting on 26

k4, p1, k1, p1, k5, p2, k5, p1, k1, p1, k4

If I do a k5, p1, k1, p1, k7, p2, k7, p1, k1, p1, k5  .... and keep the extra knits added consistent through the pattern I could still possibly come out with the pattern on the purse being intact but also get the approxiamate dimensions?...

It doesn't have to be exact measurements although I don't want it too small but I definitely would like to keep the pattern that makes up the purse intact...

Thoughts, advice suggestions?
I don't know if I am allowed to link the pattern here so it is at MidnightKnitter.com and at the top click on "older Free Patterns" it is the pic of the purse that appears to be a lime green color (Via mala rectangle purse)-
Thx for any help...
~Luv
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011 03:20:14 PM »

Yes, that should work as long as you keep in pattern, though it won't quite look the same. You don't need to worry about gauge, so much, just keeping the original number of sts will be okay too, it'll just come out a little narrower. Or you could use the 10s and it'll be a little wider.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Luv2CUSmile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011 08:26:31 PM »

Soozeq,
Thx so much! LOL- I figured if I went with my 10's (my bamboo pair)- I could knit a bit tighter as well- LOL
I know it will change the integrity of the pattern a bit but I have been searching long and hard for a beginner pattern with "a little more" that can just get my "needles wet" so to speak and that is not a scarf or using dpn's or circ's (which I have only tried once in the very long ago past).
This is a pattern that me and/or my daughter will actually use/show-off and then I can actually start on a "fishtail scarf" pattern I found at Knitpicks... (a little bit of laciness look to it) so I can wear over the Spring in the evening- and THEN- I want to try my hand at a couple actual garments that are still classified in the "Easy" category but gives me some "hands-on" with other techniques, color switching, and a taste of circ's and dpn's... I want to learn fully and slowly so it sticks with me! I have saved so many pattern files I am surprised I actually have a plan now as to which project next...
Oooh! Also, I have found a local knitters group in my area AND a LYS! I am so excited for that! I will be going to the Monday night knit first! They meet 3 times a week in various places on a regular basis and ever so often in between for special occassions.
Thx again for the reply!
~Luv
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011 05:40:30 PM »

You might find in the future that you're gauge is tighter or looser than what most patterns call for.  For instance, apparently I'm a loose knitter and always do my gauge swatches with one needle size smaller, so if pattern calls for a size 9, I use a size 8.  So you might not even need to get a size 9 needle if you're getting gauge with either your 8 or 10.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011 09:59:55 AM »

Did the pattern list finished measurements?  That will help you determine the gauge.  Either way, it's possible to do it the way you were saying with your size 8 needles, or you might not even need to change the pattern at all.  If it's a bag, gauge isn't really crucial since you aren't trying to make it a certain size to fit someone.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luv2CUSmile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011 08:09:45 PM »

Thx guys! I have started in and Yes, there are measurements for the finished product. It appears that I am on so that is great but, also, yes- I realize since it is a bag/purse that gauge is not exactly as important... another reason why this is good for me and I figure best to get me started again... I will definitely get swatches done on any garments I plan to do and I hope that I don't run into any "just have to do" patterns for garments w/o gauge measurements.
I ended up altering a bit more than the above "possibilities" I listed. I actually did a chart for the original pattern and anothert chart with alternate added stitches so I would not lose the integrity of the pattern on the purse. So far I am happy. It will be a cute little purse to use for church, going to the movies, a fair or such... Not a medium or large purse at all but perfect for getting me started... (I said that- LOL)
Thx again!
~Luv
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
​The Best Black Friday and Cyber Monday Beauty Deals
What You Need to Know Before You Wax
Black Friday Beauty Deals
How To Make Your Own Face Mask At Home Using Yogurt, Honey And Grapes
How to Do Catwoman Halloween Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...