A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,091
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blocking and curling  (Read 387 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raplafch
« on: February 27, 2011 08:40:28 AM »

So, I have been working on this scarf, which is coming out perfectly, except for the fact that it's curling on the sides. Ugh. I haven't had this problem before and I don't know what to do! Is it because I'm knitting too tightly? Is there a way to fix this without undoing everything?

Somewhat pertaining to that, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me a little bit about blocking? I'm not really sure why people do it, what it does, or how to do it. Would blocking this scarf that I'm working on stop it from curling?

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011 01:35:06 PM »

It depends on what fiber and what stitches you're using. All stockinette is going to curl up, period. It needs a few sts at the beg and end of the rows in garter, seed or ribbing to counteract that. It may curl or flip up a little then, but blocking may help.

Blocking can be just washing and drying an item to even out the sts, or you can wet it and pin it into shape or to flatten it out. Lace things are usually stretched out a lot then pinned to open up the sts and pattern. This is easier with a a wool or a blend that has a lot of wool in it. Acrylic needs to be steamed to be blocked, but you have to be careful not to get it too hot or it melts; and oversteaming will make the item limp and drapey which is fine for lace, but wouldn't be what you want in a cabled sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011 11:57:35 AM »

Some people only block lace, but I block pretty much everything I knit! It really helps to even out my stitches and make things easier for finishing (seaming, pickingg up edges, etc).  I mostly utilize wet blocking, although I've used steam blocking before and the washing machine/dryer blocking method for pure/mostly acrylic yarns.

If blocking doesn't help the curl, you can always add on a crocheted or knitted edging to help, but in the future add on those garter/ribbed/seed stitch edges, like soozeq said, if you're doing a mostly stockinette scarf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ends of the Earth Photography: A Photographer Follows Her Passion
This Is What Happens When You Attach Your Camera To A Kite
Photographers Capture Urban Decay
Rineke Dijkstra: When Art Reflects Art
Bob Gruen LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...