A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine / Serger Q&A  (Read 117584 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

plonkas
« Reply #440 on: May 08, 2006 10:10:49 AM »

divasteph, there are lots of manuals available on the internet. 
You could go to sewing.about.com, then on the left side scan down to Forums.  You have to register to post, but you could ask if anyone has such a manual they would be willing to send to you (you may pay postage and copying, but it would be worth it to have the proper manual)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neophyte
« Reply #441 on: May 26, 2006 11:22:16 PM »

ok, i think i got up to like page 16 of this thread before i got completely bleary-eyed, so i'm going to cheat and post this anyway, not having read everything. 

i'm looking to give sewing a whirl.  now, i have a history of going out and buying lots of equipment for some hobby that i think will be fun, and then it lies in a corner collecting dust until the end of eternity.  i'm thinking about buying a new machine, despite everyone's warnings against it.  i know everyone says you should go to a thrift store and get a used one.  but to be perfectly honest i'm lazy, and i'm afraid that i'll get some old machine on craigslist that needs to be repaired, and then i'll never get around to taking it.  or worse yet i won't know that it needs to be prepared and i'll just think it's me screwing everything up.

the appeal of a new machine is that i like the idea of starting completely fresh with a nice manual and being able to just take it out of the box and start.  if it turns out that sewing and i were made for each other, then i'll probably sell the new one and invest in a used one that's been tuned up.  but for now, i just want to be able to do some hemming and maybe make a purse here and there.  from the posts i've read it seems like everyone is giving brand advice based on older used models.  but presuming that's out of the question, what is the best new model to get for under $200?  it seems like people are mentioning brother a lot, do they still make decent machines?

again, i don't need to sew costumes for the cast of "a chorus line" or anything, i just want something new that's not going to turn me off of sewing right from the get-go.

thanks!
:kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i could make a career of being blue, i could dress in black and read camus, smoke clove cigarettes and drink vermouth, like i was seventeen, that would be a scream.
verycrafty
« Reply #442 on: June 01, 2006 03:43:47 AM »

|
|
|
|
\/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hehthur
« Reply #443 on: June 10, 2006 08:06:14 PM »

I tried clicking your original link to see if you had the same problem as I had, but it didnt work Sad

boo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafts = love.
jedicoder
« Reply #444 on: August 13, 2006 02:19:48 PM »

If your repairs don't work, I seem to like the Viking machines. Plenty of options and features. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kattghoti
« Reply #445 on: September 09, 2006 10:39:02 AM »

I tried searching this topic (hooray for THAT feature!) to see if this has been discussed at all, but I couldn't find it, so here goes:

The Big Lots around my area apparently have a huge surplus of singer heavy duty school model sew and serge sewing machines.  The ad says it can do the following: buttonholes, invisible blind hem, monograms, double seams, zippers, sew on buttons, darning, applique, zig-zag, basting, pin tucking, quilting and more.  It also has a professional serging stitch and you can buy an optional cutter. 

The price is $199 with a suggested MSRP of $449.  It's a 2006 model, factory sealed, and has a limited 25-year warranty.  There are also teacher and professional models available at various prices.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing?  I don't really need a new sewing machine, but I do want/need a serger.  Does this sound like a bad idea?  I'll do some more searching around.  I have until Tuesday, but I thought I would pass this on to the Craftster community because everyone here is so smart!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #446 on: September 18, 2006 11:46:15 AM »

So this is clearly too late for you, but I thought I'd pass on what info. I know/ have heard.

My mom was looking into a new sewing machine recently.  The local Hancocks was going to be having a truckload sale of "school model" sew and serge machines--sounds like what your Big Lots had.  She wanted to make sure that the local Singer repairman would still work on it, so she went in to talk to him about it and get his two cents.

He said the idea of a "school model" machine is a little ridiculous.  Neither Singer, nor any other company, makes a "school model."  They make many models, but none are specifically designated for school. 

Additionally, he said he would be concerned about how long the machine had been sitting on a shelf/in a truck.  A lot of the newer machine are "self-oiled" (something I know nothing about), but if they sit idle too long, the oil can gum up and the machine can freeze.  Of course, you'll have no idea until after you buy and attempt to use the machine. 

Now the last point he brought up was probably partially from the point of making a sale, but he did have a legitimate point:  he is a licensed Singer dealer.  If you buy a machine from him, it's under warrenty, and you can take it back to him to have it repaired, should something go wrong.  If you buy a machine from Big Lots (or Hancocks or JoAnns for that matter), while it is under warrentry, in order to retain that warrenty, you'll have to send the machine to one of the dealers they've listed (and in the case of us here in B.F.E. [Bum F@#$ Egypt], I think it meant sending it to either Rapid City, SD or Lincoln, NE...Rapid being a 6-7 hr drive, Lincoln a 3 hr drive, so you can imagine the shipping).

And, by buying it from a licensed dealer, you receive built-in instruction.  Granted, if you already know how to use a machine, it may not be an issue, but for a beginner, it's certainly something to take into consideration.

Just my (well, the machine repairman's!) two cents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
kattghoti
« Reply #447 on: September 18, 2006 04:12:18 PM »

I did a little more searching and found out what I had suspected all along:  It's basically just a sham.  Glad I was too lazy to go out there on my day off!  I was going to at least look at the other stuff out there, but I decided it wasn't necessary or worth it.  My New Home is a work horse and I will just save up for or try to find a good used serger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silly

I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 19, 2006 12:15:08 PM »

I'm looking for a cheap serger.  Any suggestions on where to start?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

By the way, I never liked your face.
Avariel

busy stalking the RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: September 28, 2006 06:32:11 PM »

My friend and I picked up a Singer about a month ago. Got the cheapest one since we're both dirt-broke students. Currently the machine's sitting on my desk, glaring at me using the computer and not using it. LOL

Anyways, I was joking-whining at my mother over the phone about a week ago that I would not be able to use my sewing machine over the 2 and a 1/2 months I'll be in Singapore holidays. [Am studying in Australia at the moment] And she said that I could get a sewing machine for use in Singapore. So, any ideas on what machine I could get? Hopefully I'll try get a similar model to the one I have in Australia since I'm already used to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i apologise in advance for my endless obsession with the RMS Queen Elizabeth 2. but hey, you have to admit, obsessions are fun. *grins*
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crossing the Line Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Monkey Puzzle Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Paintings on Paper by Carolyn Oberst
Sock Dolls Embrace Painting by Carolyn Oberst
The Frog Prince Pines for Love Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...