A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine / Serger Q&A  (Read 120423 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stajdaml
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2004 08:57:00 AM »

i don't know how if this helps you, but i make handbags on my little Kenmore sewing machine i bought for about $150.00. the thing to know is what size needles to use for certain fabric thicknesses. i run the heck out of my machine, and have been for about 4 years now, and it's fine.
i can sew through 3 or 4 layers of denim if i have to, and i'm fine.
just learn what type sewing machine needles are used for what type fabric, and you should be fine.
with the thicker fabrics i just use a super sharp "denim needle", which you can buy at any craft store, and i'm ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

april fool
-handmade bags and accessories-
http://www.iloveaprilfool.com
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2004 09:08:02 AM »

I also use a cheap machine...I think it was 100 bucks on sale from 150. I make handbags and similar items in the way of many layers of fabric and heavy fabrics and NO problem at all. Not that I wouldnt get a nicer machine if I could afford it...but I cant. LOL I just make sure to change needles often so its always super sharp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfre etobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
elizwong
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2004 05:41:12 PM »

I have an old 1951 Singer.  The bobbin works exactly the same as the bobbins in newer machines, but you put the needle in differently - the flat part faces to the left instead of to the back.  Don't know if that makes a difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liz

Paintings, purses and greeting cards
http://www.artghost.com
http://artghost.blogspot.com
elizwong
« Reply #173 on: July 27, 2004 11:02:22 AM »

I bought a sewing machine off of ebay recently, and it works fine.  I would just check out their feedback.  Also, in the description of the item, it said that it had been tested and it works.  I guess I figured that it was cheap enough that if it didn't work at least I didn't waste much money on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liz

Paintings, purses and greeting cards
http://www.artghost.com
http://artghost.blogspot.com
dahlea
« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2004 12:29:21 PM »

I see that it's already ended, but in case you are thinking about it still, I have this machine. I bought it from Walmart-I think it was a little over $100 and was brand new. If I were you, I'd get it from there instead of Ebay, especially since they say it's been refurbished, etc. It's a pretty decent machine for so cheap, I thinK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarcasmik
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2004 11:01:50 PM »

i'm a beginner at all of this craft stuff, and i decided to try out sewing.  however, i have recently discovered that i am extremely needle-illiterate.  therefore, i am going to buy an inexpensive sewing machine just to see how well i fare with it (if i really get into it, i will buy a decent one, but for now the key word is 'cheap').  but i don't know anything about sewing machines, so how do i know if i'm getting a good deal?

i ask the experts, that's how!

i would really like some feedback on two machines i found at target.  numero uno, numero dos.  any and all comments are highly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"we are the music makers,
          and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
JennaPotter
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2004 06:24:36 PM »

My 1 1/2 cents....don't get those. Use the $30 and get a full sized, used, older sewing machine. Those toy-like sewing machines are just that toys and will frustrate anyone to tears. Plus they don't sew more than two layers of thin cotton. Not cool!!!! These machines won't help make purses or do home deco stuff.
Is there a sewing machine store near you? Since your a beginner I would go to a sewing machine store and tell them that you want a machine for $30. They will show you used ones that work very well. If you are feeling very adventurous you can find sewing machines at the thrift store for way less than $30. Thing is you don't know if they are truly broken and they usually are missing the manual and things like that and that would really not help a beginner.
Maybe you could borrow a sewing machine from someone first? Lots of people hang on to mom's sewing machine and is just waiting for someone to adopt them!
Good luck and have fun....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dahlea
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2004 06:38:47 PM »

That goes double for me-those things are pieces of crap. Usually only good for sewing on paper (if that) and extremely frustrating to deal with. If you're looking for cheap, do what JennaPotter suggested-check out sewing machine repair stores (that's where I got my first one-$50 and it was AWESOME!!!) thrift stores and yard sales (but ask to try before you buy!!!!)  Or if you have a bit more to spend, Walmart has some real cheapy new ones that aren't too shabby-around $80 or so I think for the cheapest one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
auzzi
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2004 07:45:00 PM »

hi... i went to one of the sites that someone recommended- the FAQ one, and they had a comparison chart that i looked at as well. i'm leaning towards getting a husquavarna, but on the comparison chart it says that none of the husquavarnas can do a "1 step buttonhole" or a "4 step buttonhole" but they do have "sensor buttonhole styles." does anyone know what these terms mean? can the husquavarnas do buttonholes or not? thanks so much for helping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarcasmik
« Reply #179 on: August 04, 2004 05:32:03 PM »

well crap...  i was really hoping not to spend more than like $30 since i'm B R O K E (welcome to the life of a college kid!), but looks like if i wanna get anything done i'm gonna have to spend more.  but thanks alot for the help, guys!  <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"we are the music makers,
          and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 6/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 7/12
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 1/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 11/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 10/12
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...