A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,927
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine / Serger Q&A  (Read 125562 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: May 12, 2009 05:05:36 AM »

Thread Nests, Wads, Bunches, Knots, Loops & Tangles Under the Fabric in the Bobbin Area- How to fix it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #751 on: May 12, 2009 08:50:45 AM »

Ok, something worked because it's sewing perfectly again!  I reloaded the bobbin, and the middle of the bobbin really hadn't loaded evenly, so that might have been the problem.  I rethreaded the machine too, and finally changed the needle.  It's working great now, I think the combo of the uneven bobbin and the needle did it Smiley

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #752 on: May 12, 2009 12:10:42 PM »

still no help for me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #753 on: May 19, 2009 04:41:20 AM »

First Question: Is it possible for me to adjust the side-to-side alignment of my sewing machine's needle? It's an older Brother machine (seen here, bought secondhand but "just serviced!" according to the place I got it. However, the needle comes very close to hitting the plate on the left, and is almost in the middle on the right...this makes it very hard to use my new overedge food correctly!
If this was purchased from a reputable shop, then take it back and ask them to either explain the machine's set up or repair it.   I suspect that they persona that sold it to you simply dusted it off and MAYBE put a few drop of oil in a couple of spots.  Sometimes, that's all these older machine need, but often they need more than that to put them in the ideal operating condition.

Question #2: What can I do if my bobbin winder on my machine doesn't want to turn? It has a rubber ring that touches the handwheel, and it definitely makes contact and should turn...but it is very stiff. Hard to even turn by hand. The rubber is still good (I assume it's fairly new).
It sounds like it is binding and needs to be oiled at the bearing points- should have been checked, tested and oiled during it's "recent service".   Yet another reason to return it to the shop that supposedly serviced it.

#Last: This machine has 3 horizontally-oriented dials...the one above the needle has "Silk" and "Cotton" and the like on it...but it also has "Coat' G Darn" on it. What is that? And what does the bottom dial do? It has "Darn", "Thin" and "Thick" on it.
The dial above the needle sould like that is the presser foot pressure adjustment, and the lower one likely adjusts the feed dog height.

Really, you should be marching back to the person that sold you that machine.  They should stand behind what they sold and offer you some customer service while they are at it - just my opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
PeanutPaterooski
Stitch B!@#$

To thine own self be true.

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 02, 2009 02:45:12 PM »

Mama wants a serger. Tongue

makka me drool with all those serger problem pics.

i <3 my trustybrother sister LS-2125i. she's my b!^ch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you wait to be happy to do happy things, you'll be waiting to be happy forever.
Fight corporation. DIYDS. Make and wear clothes
you made yourself with pride, and win against recession, and more! PM me for details.

Wanna trade some sewing notions/fabric for scrapbooking/stamps? PM me.
swirlygrrl
« Reply #755 on: August 06, 2009 09:29:00 AM »

I'm looking for a new sewing machine.  I've been using my mom's, but I'm moving soon, and I don't want to take it from her in case she needs it. 

Anyway, I'm confused about the difference between the number of stitches they contain and the number of stitch functions.  Can someone explain this to me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: August 10, 2009 05:15:28 AM »

I'm looking for a new sewing machine.  I've been using my mom's, but I'm moving soon, and I don't want to take it from her in case she needs it. 

Anyway, I'm confused about the difference between the number of stitches they contain and the number of stitch functions.  Can someone explain this to me?

OK, I'll give this a shot.  An example of a stitch:

zigzag

An example of a stitch function:

applique satin stitch- yep this is simply a close/short zigzag stitch.

Another example of a stitch and realted stitch function:

Straight stitch- type of stitch

Sewing in a zipper using a straight stitch- this is considered a stitch function.

IGNORE the number of stitch functions- it's merely a marketing gimmick.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009 04:14:12 PM by Sew-Classic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
swirlygrrl
« Reply #757 on: August 10, 2009 02:10:47 PM »

Wow. From your description, it definitely sounds like it.  What a load of crap!  Thanks for the heads up. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laurenisme
« Reply #758 on: January 11, 2010 07:23:19 AM »

hi im new to craftser, and not sure if im in the right topic (is serger a brand?)

anyways i was wondering if somebody could help me. I ahve a Novum Deluxe Zig Zag Mark IX that i have no manual for and i have never used it. I have found three websites (sew online, sewing manuals.com and sewusa)they all have manuals for novums and one's that look similar to the one i have but i cant find any that say exactly Mark ix, i was wondering does anybody do you have to have the exact manual for the ix or would the one that looks closest to it work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oooanniekat
« Reply #759 on: January 21, 2010 02:26:24 PM »

hello, smart people!
i have a question about my brother ce-4000 sewing machine
it's a top-loader

aaaaand it's sick!

the bobbin case is not catching on the spring as it is supposed to. i wish it would look like step three in this picture:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/NR/rdonlyres/2AF42085-47C8-4B01-8BFD-40A222F1DF01/11877/91.jpg
but the shuttle is too far away from the spring by a millimeter or two.

the shuttle is spinning around backwards!
i hope i'm missing something very obvious, but i can't think of anything else to do!
thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10: Set Delete Function
Canon G10: Set Auto Mode Function
Canon G10: Set Aperture Priority (Av) Function
Canon G10: Set for Sunset Scene
Canon G10: Set for Sports Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...