A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
764 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine / Serger Q&A  (Read 120438 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 05, 2009 05:18:49 AM »

Flat felled seams are the kind you see on blue jeans or on tailored shirts.  The raw edges are encased and look the same right-side and wrong-side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #741 on: January 05, 2009 05:54:40 AM »

What does that type of foot do out of curiosity? I've never heard of it.

http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland.com/store/media/fellingfoot.gif
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009 02:39:45 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Please do not hotlink images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
EKO

http://ekoscraftylife.blogspot.com/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #742 on: January 05, 2009 06:02:30 AM »

from the picture I would say it is for french seams
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit me at my blog
http://ekoscraftylife.blogspot.com/

Current swaps
sss23- all sent and all received.
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #743 on: January 05, 2009 10:12:57 AM »

thanks so much for the info guys! I will have to add that to my list of feet I want! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julianapegas
« Reply #744 on: January 05, 2009 04:34:05 PM »

Thanks a lot for the answer!  Grin

My first guess about the foot was that it would be a rolled hem foot, but I bought one some time ago that was different so I became confused xD
And I really liked to know that it's possible to do free-motion with that machine! And to discover how to make flat-felled seams, too. I even found some tutorials online, I'll link them here in case anyone's interested:
This one has photos, but it doesn't mention the special foot. This other tutorial does, though, but without photos.

(I tried to reply yesterday but Craftster kept giving me a 503 error  Shocked )
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009 04:39:43 PM by julianapegas » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DeviantartPoupe GirlLast.fmRavelry
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #745 on: January 09, 2009 08:34:26 AM »

I have an issue:

I'm trying to zigzag stitch on my machine, but... it misses the Zig every few times. Wink What I mean by that is I see the needle moving in a zig zag position, but the thread doesn't follow, and the zigzags become all uneven (there's a straight line every few zigzags). I changed my needle (it was time), cleaned out the dust, checked on my bobbin, and double-checked my settings.... still nothing. Any idea what's wrong here?

(PS: I have the beginner machine from Singer - Prelude)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #746 on: January 10, 2009 03:25:58 PM »

What is happening is a skipped stitch.

What type of fabric are you sewing and what type and size needle are you using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #747 on: May 04, 2009 10:26:14 PM »

First Question: Is it possible for me to adjust the side-to-side alignment of my sewing machine's needle? It's an older Brother machine (seen here, bought secondhand but "just serviced!" according to the place I got it. However, the needle comes very close to hitting the plate on the left, and is almost in the middle on the right...this makes it very hard to use my new overedge food correctly!

Question #2: What can I do if my bobbin winder on my machine doesn't want to turn? It has a rubber ring that touches the handwheel, and it definitely makes contact and should turn...but it is very stiff. Hard to even turn by hand. The rubber is still good (I assume it's fairly new).

#3: Can someone explain the way the zigzag system is supposed to work on this machine? I've figured out that I have to loosen the left-hand little chrome knob above the stitch length dial, then turn the spring-loaded big tabbed dial next to that, push the chrome knob over to where I want it, then tighten it...but what about the right hand knob? It doesn't seem to do anything. Is there an easier way to set the width? This seems like a really clunky system...

#Last: This machine has 3 horizontally-oriented dials...the one above the needle has "Silk" and "Cotton" and the like on it...but it also has "Coat' G Darn" on it. What is that? And what does the bottom dial do? It has "Darn", "Thin" and "Thick" on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: May 11, 2009 07:30:21 PM »

Help!  My vintage sewing machine started doing something really weird.  This is what the bottom of the fabric looks like after you try to stitch it:

I changed the needle about a week ago, but I have hit at least a few pins since then.  I just reloaded the bobbin and rethreaded the machine..  I definitely could have done it wrong, but I've rethreaded the machine several times, and taken the bobbin out at least twice..  I didn't change the tension at all, and it's been working for weeks..  the bottom thread (the thread on the underside of the fabric) isn't doing anything basically (you can pull it right out, even after knotting the thread)..  The top thread is loose too..  I'm sure it's something really basic (I'm pretty new to machine sewing), but I really can't figure it out..   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Castaways

Saving the world one shopping trip at a time.

« Reply #749 on: May 11, 2009 09:55:20 PM »

This looks like there's very little or no tension on the top thread.  I know you said that you rethreaded the machine and bobbin, but try this anyway - remove the top thread, then making sure to lift the presser foot, rethread the machine.  On many machines, if the presser foot is down when you rethread, the thread doesn't properly "seat" itself in the tension disks. 

(you might want to try to clean the tension disks first.  On many machines, this can be done by taking a length of UNwaxed dental floss and pulling it through the disks a couple of times.  If it appears dirty, try wetting the floss with rubbing alcohol)

Also, double-check that the tension dial or lever didn't get "bumped" accidentally.  Hope this helps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Ketchup Recipe
Dorie Greenspan: Serving Innovation
Richard Blais: Serving Innovation
How to Make Grilled Breakfast Pizza
Chef Shows Off Goat Cheese Fondue
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...