A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine / Serger Q&A  (Read 120498 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpottedFrog
« Reply #590 on: March 07, 2008 04:53:35 AM »

In general Juki is a good brand, they are not marketed as much in the US so a good chunk of us have little to no experience with them :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: March 18, 2008 02:35:57 PM »

okay, i just got my "new" sewing machine...it sewed just fine for a while, till i broke the needle. i replaced it with a brand new needle, and since then it has been skipping stitches like crazy. i tried two other needles, of different sizes and brands, and also tried different thread and rethreading the machine, and switching back to the original bobbin that came with the machine. i'm going crazy!

oh, i also tried different fabrics and fabric thicknesses and changing the tension.

any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
pibbgirl
« Reply #592 on: March 18, 2008 03:49:18 PM »

okay, i just got my "new" sewing machine...it sewed just fine for a while, till i broke the needle. i replaced it with a brand new needle, and since then it has been skipping stitches like crazy. i tried two other needles, of different sizes and brands, and also tried different thread and rethreading the machine, and switching back to the original bobbin that came with the machine. i'm going crazy!

oh, i also tried different fabrics and fabric thicknesses and changing the tension.

any ideas?
needle in backwards?  I've had that problem before with machines that let you put the needle in any way you want and it causes it to skip stitches
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: April 08, 2008 03:23:31 PM »

And I do mean each time I either replace a bobbin or begin working on a new piece. Either my tension is too little or too much.

Is this normal? I have a Brother C-80, a decent if not incredible machine.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #594 on: April 08, 2008 07:18:31 PM »

And I do mean each time I either replace a bobbin or begin working on a new piece. Either my tension is too little or too much.

Is this normal? I have a Brother C-80, a decent if not incredible machine.

Unless you're incredibly picky about your thread tension,  I wouldn't think you'd need to readjust the top tension when you refill the bobbin.  If you're changing projects, and there's a significant difference in the type of fabric, tension should be checked.  I admit, I'm not as picky as I should be about accurate thread tension.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
rottenlittleboys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: April 08, 2008 08:26:25 PM »

[quote author=Muria link=topic=37401.msg2626490#msg2626490 date=1207707511
Unless you're incredibly picky about your thread tension,  I wouldn't think you'd need to readjust the top tension when you refill the bobbin. [/quote]

Nah, I am not that picky. The difference is generally pretty great. It is almost like my machine is having a melt down at having the change things around.  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #596 on: April 09, 2008 06:20:19 AM »

Something is definately out of kilter but the limited information makes it very hard to diagnose :/

Maybe some demo pictures? I don't know what else would help us help you...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: April 09, 2008 01:45:45 PM »

No, please no. Cry If it happens again, I will take pictures. But I hope it will stop misbehaving.  Undecided

Thanks.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missnihkii
Savoring this carpet ceiling.

missnihkiiiikhinssim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: April 15, 2008 05:35:47 PM »

sooo. i just signed up for a debit card, which gives you like 10 bucks off of a purchase 100+.. so im thinking of getting this machine.. i guess 10 bucks isnt really that much but hey whatever right? tell me your suggestions?

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Brother-BC1000-Computerized-Sewing-Machine/2658696/product.html
or maybe this?

this one would be like 50 dollars for me, and its basic, but im not sure.. id liek to go cheap Tongue

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Brother-LS-30-Sewing-Machine/3019427/product.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Nihkii

Personal swaps?YES YES YES!!

so..im OBSESSED with buttons and stickers..

MissNihkiis Wist

i miss my colorado Sad
Muria
« Reply #599 on: April 15, 2008 06:18:05 PM »

In my opinion, you'll have a lot more flexibility with the first machine. Of course, if you're not sure if you'll use it, the second one requires less of a commitment.

Also, since the second one's not $100+, would you still get $10 off?

Regarding one of your other posts on the subject, I haven't been especially impressed with Singers (my local shop didn't seem especially friendly, implying that I bought a cheap Singer, and that if I wanted help with it, I would have to buy a better Singer from them. Of course, YMMV). For reviews of specific machines, you can try www.patternreview.c om.  They're reviews done by consumers who actually own the machines, but I've found it's a bit daunting to wade through all the machine reviews to find the best one for you. However, if you're looking for a review of a specific machine, it's a great resource.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Wearable Top-Knot
Create a Headband Braid in 5 Easy Steps
How to Create an Undone Updo
How to Create Long Sexy Waves
How to Do a Fishtail Braid
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...