A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,679
Currently Running With Scissors:
755 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine / Serger Q&A  (Read 124575 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

incuash
« Reply #240 on: November 02, 2004 10:57:36 AM »

I'm getting a sewing machine, my first one ever, and lets just say i'm not down with the sewing jargon yet.  A dealer has offered me a Pfaff 2034 Demo for $899.  Is that a good deal?  I don't have much time to decide on it, so speedy adivice would really be appreciated!  Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a thing of beauty is a joy forever.
kyou

Pinktank - The Knitters Army

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: November 02, 2004 03:06:06 PM »

I did a bit of research on it, and from what it sounds like, you're getting a steal. Go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinktank.etsy.com - Hat Patterns

Check out my blog and enter my first contest! http://thepinktank.blogspot.com
Elby

I'm feeling inspired

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2004 06:04:23 PM »

Huh Grin  I NEED HELP WITH MY FOOT!!  Huh Grin
I just bought a cording foot and am having the hardest time getting it on the other part- dare I call it the "leg?"  Basically I'm struggling to get the bar part onto the hook part.  This discussion seemed like the right people to ask! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisaquilts
« Reply #243 on: November 05, 2004 08:22:23 AM »

Hi and Welcome,
Are you sure you have the right foot for the shank (leg) of your machine? There are three basic types: high, low, and Singer slant. Nancy's notion has pictures of the different types. If you're foot isn't made for your shank, it won't fit.  (i.e) I have a Viking and most feet snap on easily. If I bought Pfaff or other feet, however, it won't fit. Ask the dealer or a dealer who sells your type of machine.
Good luck,
lisaquilts
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing is therapeutic. Long live therapy.
Elby

I'm feeling inspired

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: November 05, 2004 10:32:24 AM »

Thanks!  Yeah, After studing it, I think I need a different shank for the foot!  Thanks for the advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

incuash
« Reply #245 on: November 05, 2004 07:51:18 PM »

Awesome!  Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a thing of beauty is a joy forever.
kate conspiracy
« Reply #246 on: November 06, 2004 01:59:08 PM »

Wow, there's tons of replies so I definately don't need to add mine, but I didn't see anyone mention Elna (maybe I just missed it) My Mom and I both have Elna machines and neither of us have had any problems, and her is 25+ years old! The brand is a little harder to find nowadays but there are still some Elna dealers around. I'm very happy with my machine (I have a 3007)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MaxChaos
« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2004 01:52:21 PM »

My sewing machine is about to die and I've convinced myself that I'd like to get another machine w/ some embroidery capabilities- I'd even settle for one that has a few bulit in alphabets- does anyone have any recommendations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tappanga
Stop hatin', start participatin'!

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 15, 2004 04:14:32 PM »

My mother just gave me her sewing machine. I thought I knew how to sew. It seems I was dreaming. I need the manual, but no one has it and I've searched everywhere online and it seems my sewing machine doesn't even exsist in the real world. It's a Brother Profile 851. Can anyone help me find a place online to find the manual? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.
Kristina
« Reply #249 on: November 16, 2004 02:59:43 AM »

Huh

Is it too new? Does it suck moose balls? I need to know!

I am a relatively new, but admittedly talented  Wink sewer.

I am working with a Singer Stylist from 1976 that has no accessories with it and can only do a straight stitch. The projects I do (clothing, house decor) really should have zig zag stitching, blind hemming etc.

I'm in the market for a new machine.

I looked at the HuskyStar 219 and 207. For 6 stitches and a 4 step buttonholer, the prices seemed way steep and the reason is because of the "Husqvarna" name. Names don't mean that much to me!! I'd rather get a more tricked out machine that isn't quite as much of a "status symbol".  Tongue

Anyway, I'm looking at the Singer Quantum Futura CE-200. I need the embroidery capabilities as my husband owns his own biz and I need to make shirts etc with our logo. Much cheaper for me to do it at home.

I can't seem to find reviews for it anywhere. Real true to life, somebody actually USED this in a practical application and it kicks butt, kind of way.

I am new to this site and I think I'm going to like it. I am addicted to sewing and look around my house thinking "I wonder what I could make!".

My first project was a king sized comforter. (Oy, wish I woulda had someone tell me that wasn't the smartest thing for a first project!), king sized knife edge shams, cafe curtains for my kitchen windows, sheer curtains, valances, nightgowns for my daughters, outfits for my daughters (fleece tops, microfiber pants) jumper dresses for the girls, 2 piece pajamas for all four of my kids and lastly, 4 quillows as Christmas gifts for them.

I've read bad things about Singer, that said, they are now owned by a Japanese company that also makes Janome and White machines, I think. People have said that those machines are very good and that Singers quality has improved since they have taken over.

I hope this is the case. I'm not opposed to sinking $400-700 for a machine, but I don't want to throw away that much.

Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Old Vintage Effect in Photoshop
The Lomo Effect - Lomography in Photoshop Explained
How to Make an Exploding Planet in Photoshop
How to Whiten Teeth in Photoshop
How to Make a Really Cool Electricity Text Effect in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...