A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,733
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine / Serger Q&A  (Read 120890 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annacharlotte
« Reply #460 on: October 16, 2006 06:48:56 PM »

I hope this hasn't been addressed already--I did search the boards diligently first, so if I overlooked it I apologize!  Okay, I have decided to upgrade from my $60 Singer to a $250-$350 machine from Pfaff...I'm looking at the Hobby Line, 1122, 1132 and 1142.  The high end one does one step button holes and has extra stitches and extra attachments.  The low end one does everything my current machine does but better and without all the b.s. with the tension (two layers of sweatshirt material is too much for this gentle creature!)  The good news is, I don't really have to decide because if I upgrade within a year they'll apply my $250 (the low end) to the higher end model of my choice, as long as it costs at least 25% more...  I'm not so good at the math...the high end one with the auto buttonhole, etc. is $350...

$300 was really my limit, but...will I be sorry???  I'm getting really into making clothes, and have been sewing quite a lot, as time permits, for about a year, and hope to do more.  Has anyone looked at this line and compared pros and cons...  I could spring for the high end, I'm just not sure it's worth it!  I could care less about the extra stitches, I guess cuz I barely use the ones I have.  A lot of them are variations for knits, but isn't a zigzag just fine for that, generally? 

Any advice (or pointings in the direction of anyone who asked the same question  previously) would be much appreciated!  I haven't found any good reviews online after much searching, so had to turn to you trusty Craftsters.  Thanks for your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #461 on: October 17, 2006 08:56:30 AM »

Without having compared them myself, my gut is saying you should go with the high-end one.  It's only another $50, and I know I would be kicking myself if I didn't. 

Have you sewn on them all?  I would try the buttonhole on each one...to me that would be the deciding factor, b/c I'm notoriously bad at buttonholes  Cheesy  So for that alone, I might lean towards the high-end one.  And what kind of extra attachments are we talking about?  That might be worth it, too, if we're talking extra feet and such.

I hear you about the cheap Singers, though.  Mine was $80, but I had similar issues with mine.  On mine, the needle liked to move to the of it's own accord.  Now I'm sewing on a 50+ year old Pfaff.  I LOVE it.  After having sewn on a Pfaff, I'm not sure I can ever go back to anything else...I'm spoilt! 

Good luck, and let us know which one you pick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
rondafrank
« Reply #462 on: October 18, 2006 01:58:29 PM »

Most people have a strong loyalty to one brand...and a strong hate for another.

Totally  Cool Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.freecraftsebooks.com A lot of Crafts ideas!.
annacharlotte
« Reply #463 on: October 18, 2006 04:42:15 PM »

Thanks for your help.  I ended up with the $250 one (it was a $100 difference), on the condition that I can upgrade for one that's 25% more and apply the full $250 to the cost within a year.  I figure if I really can't stand the buttonholder I'll go back.  I learned to use it today though and it was easy as pie (4 steps).  Really no problem at all, and seems like luxury to me since I've never had a buttonholder at all. 

That said, I'm not sorry I bought the cheapass Singer, because it made me realize I really like to sew.  I got to practice on it without blowing a huge wad of money, and a year later I bought a better one (the Hobby 1122, which I just got today).  Worked out pretty well in the end. Especially if you're on a budget and not sure how much you like to sew, I think it's good to start with a simple, cheap machine and move on when you outgrow it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #464 on: October 18, 2006 04:50:06 PM »

I totally agree with that (buy a cheapie, until you find out if this is something you really like).

I had a friend who bought a top of the line serger to--get this--sew diapers.  She tried a couple times, couldn't get the hang of it, and never used it again.  (Seems to me she could have bought all the cloth diapers she would ever need with what she spent on the serger, but, that's just me.)  Keep in mind, this woman had never sewn before. 

I shouldn't complain though...she GAVE the serger to me  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
kattghoti
« Reply #465 on: October 18, 2006 05:01:18 PM »

Pretend you are a budding dressmaker (while I want to draft my own clothing patterns, I will never in anyway consider myself a "designer") with a passable sewing machine (New Home), and you want to upgrade...  Which would be higher on your list of things to get: a better sewing machine (Pfaff is looking nice to me) or a serger?  I would like to sew knit fabrics, which I know is possible with a sewing machine, but better with a serger...  I'm torn!  help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #466 on: October 18, 2006 11:29:42 PM »

It would depend very much on how "passable" my current machine was.  Do you have problems with it?  Or is it basically working out for you? 

My gut was to say upgrade the machine, but the more I think about, if your current machine is working fine for you, maybe a serger would be better. 

Tell me more about the current machine   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kattghoti
« Reply #467 on: October 19, 2006 05:56:40 AM »

It's basically working out.  Every so often I have problems where I can't figure out the tension, but I think that happens with most machines.  I can't sew through really thick things very well because the foot is so low (and I actually think it's gotten lower within the last few months).  And the buttonhole is 4 steps, not one.  But other than that, it does what it needs to do, and I only get a little agravated.  I just can't help but wonder if the quality would be better with a better machine, or if it's operator error.  Also I'm charmed by all the bells and whistles of newer machines!

If I had a car today I'd go to a sewing machine dealer in town and talk it out with some of the old ladies there.  Damn my car being in the shop!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #468 on: October 19, 2006 11:30:55 AM »

I'd say go to a shop and try out some new machines.  Working on a new one, you'd have a better idea of just "how bad" your current machine is.  Then you'll have a better idea whether to go for a new, snazzy machine, or shoot for a serger.

Of course, w/o a car, this is still difficult to do  Cheesy  Hope you get your car back, soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Morrigen
« Reply #469 on: October 25, 2006 09:07:24 PM »

I accidentally posted this topic in this area but not in this thread, oops! :\

I bought an older Singer sewing machine today at Goodwill for guess how much! 20 bucks!!! And, it's the kind that is in a table, and folds underneath... my mother had one that I learned on, so there is some nostalgia going on.
Anyways, it's in great exterior condition. Had a few missing parts, that I picked up today, and then on my way home found a sewing machine repair place, and stopped in for a tiny part. I found out that a gear or gears are messed up. It'll cost anywhere from $90-160 to fix! Eek!
This is where I stop rambling and come to the main question. Yay! 
The gear that spins the bobbin around is not spinning. (I don't know if there are more gears that are messed up or if it is just this one.)
So, all you genius' out there, I'm curious if I should buy the replacement gear, and attempt to replace it myself. The gear costs about $15 (with s/h). Any suggestions?
I think, I also, need to oil it, how do I go about that?
(Keep in mind, I'm a poor 20 year old.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Zooey Deschanel 60s Updo Tutorial
How to Do a Chic Curly Updo
How to Style a Festive Bow Hairdo
How to Do a Vintage Beehive Hair Style
Attention Blondes: Get the New Ombre Hair That Everyone Wants
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...