A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine / Serger Q&A  (Read 127993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

Fuelling obsession that borders psychosis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: October 11, 2006 10:05:13 AM »

Not sure if this is where I should post this.. But I am wanting to buy my first sewing machine.... I've been to many different websites to read about different types of machines.. My mother in law just has been teaching me to sew on her antique machine (that her mom's mom had or something like that... o.O) But now since I can pretty much sew unsupervised I don't want to have to drive 60 miles just to sew up something.. I was just wanting a recommendation for a first machine. I have up to 300 dollars to spend on a machine. Based on your experiences with machines, what would be a good one in this price range. I just want to do regular sewing.. (purses, costumes, etc..) I've never used a 'modern' machine.. just this old manual thing (lol) Now I think it is time to upgrade!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You came in from the darkness and held the door open wide
You stood there like a vision before my unbelieving eyes
I believe in what I see and also what I hear
But did the night play tricks on me or were you really there.
Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: October 11, 2006 09:51:10 PM »

awwwh come on.. not even one recommendation yet?? I've spent several hours on amazon reading ratings and trying to read through almost every post on this thread...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #452 on: October 11, 2006 10:35:21 PM »

I think no one is saying anything, b/c it's all already been said.  Most people have a strong loyalty to one brand...and a strong hate for another.  Personally, I say get a vintage machine, but that's just me.  Try out a bunch and find one you like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: October 12, 2006 08:48:48 PM »

Okay, I've done some research.. I've come down to possibly choosing  the  http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1987157&web_id=1987157&sf=ct&dept=ct0052&cat=ct0053&prev=hp!sf!dept!cat&afsrc=1&sourceid=Netconcepts Euro Pro 84 stitch machine from hsn..  This one seems to have more options and comes with lots of feet (12 or 14).. metal gears, but the knobs are manual that you twist to choose the type of stitch ( are those more problematic next to a electronic LED display??), can do free hand embroidery, overlock, etc.... wooo all sounds too good to be true??

Has anyone here had any experience with this machine, or brand of machines? good/bad? Or recommend a similar machine??

thanks dishclothqueen,  I read most of the posts on this thread and didn't see what I was looking for. (most were asking about machines with problems or with a budget of 50 bucks or less... Sad and i searched the site to see if there was something already here posted about this machine and didn't see anything...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #454 on: October 12, 2006 09:55:40 PM »

Sorry if I came off as snarky, Camellia_Ruth.  I was tired, and just sick of seeing the same questions over and over.  (Note to self:  when tired, go to bed, stay off Craftster!)

Amuway, the EuroPro.  Honestly, I haven't heard anything one way or another about this brand.  Really, I don't think I've ever heard of it.  I would be wary of buying a machine from the HSN, but that's just me. 

Random thoughts of mine on this machine:
1.)  Those stitches look cool, but stop and think about how often you're really going to use them.  I know some people DO use theirs a lot, but I definately do not.  There's no point in paying extra for 84 sts if you're only going to use 5.

2.)  I guess part of the reason I question buying from the HSN is that you have no way of trying it out.  $200 is a lot to drop on something that you're just hoping you'd like.  Someone on another thread compared it to buying a car:  you wouldn't drive a car w/o test driving it, and you're probably going to have your sewing machine a lot longer.

Personally, I'm pretty partial to Pfaffs.  Have you looked at their new Hobby line?  I haven't personally sewn on one, but I've heard good reviews. Here's one from Pattern Review:  http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/Review/1/804

It's a little more expensive ($285 vs. $199), and I don't know your price range, but it's a thought. 

I will say DON'T get a Signer, unless it's pre-1980s (at least....I might even say pre-1970s).  Sometimes in the 80s they sold out to a Japanese company (that specializes in jet engines of all things!), and they've been crap ever since.

Hope I was more helpful and less snarky this time Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
snowyangel
« Reply #455 on: October 12, 2006 10:03:31 PM »

I've got a utd Singer machine and it does it's job, its all i can say. I didn't want anything fancy anywho, but it works fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funky hand bags, pillows, cat toys and more UNDER $25...
www.snowyangel.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/snowyangel2000
Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: October 13, 2006 08:52:33 AM »

Most people have a strong loyalty to one brand...and a strong hate for another.   Try out a bunch and find one you like!

Now i understand more of what you mean since I've been reading reviews and all the "this machine vs. that machine" ratings... I guess you really have to try different machines to find what you like rather than relying on one's recommendation, because what might work for me might not work for someone else... I feel like such a newb about the slew of sewing machinery..  I really didn't know that there were sooooo many machines to look at.. When I first posted I thought that there was a real number one or two machine that everyone uses or a caution for problematic machines...

I didn't realise it before but I have a large dealer of machines just 4 houses down from me!! Cheesy So i might walk over today and see if they'll let me test out some machines... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #457 on: October 13, 2006 09:10:54 AM »

There are several pluses for buying from a licensed dealer, as opposed to a mass marketer (Walmart, HSN, even Hancocks or JoAnns). 

First, you get a warranty.  Sure, you'll get one at the other places, too, but you're going to have to send it away to one of the places they have decided upon to have it worked on (and for me, in northeast Nebraska, the closest place is usually Chicago or St. Louis!).  W/ a licensed dealer, you can take it directly to them if you have any problems.

Second, you'll usually get a free lesson w/ the machine.  A "getting to know you" class, if you will.

Third, they'll often have used machines, which can be a great deal.  Now personally, I say see if they have an old metal machine for ya  Cheesy.  But, I know not everyone is a freak like me for vintage machines.  Depending on how big the operation is, though, they ought to have newer ones, too.  People trade them in or sell them off.  They're usually in good shape, and have been tuned up by a professional.  Just another option to consider.

Make sure you let us know which one you choose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrincessKae
if the crown fits....wear it.

Kreatively Khaotic.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: October 13, 2006 09:34:37 AM »

dishclothqueen is right, buying from a licensed dealer has alot of pluses to it. I do know that a lot of the JoAnn's have Licensed Husqvarna Viking Dealers in them ( I work for a quilt shop that sells vikings and pfaffs and we have a lease department in JoAnns. I also went to viking sewfest and met several other owners that are in joanns) But anyhoo, besides the classes and warranty sevice work, there more likely to know all of the minor problems that can be fix over the phone by walking you through it, plus alot of them over trade up programs that if you want to trade up they'll give you the blue book value on your machine towards your new machine. they will also have all of the extra's like feet and accessories that are for that machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #459 on: October 13, 2006 09:48:36 AM »

Oh, and one more random thought.  You didn't mention it, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. 

Don't buy a machine off ebay unless you're VERY sure what you're looking for and what you're getting.  Most of the time, sellers are honest and will tell you either, "I sew all the time, and this works great/crappy/only for parts/etc" or "I don't sew at all and I haven't a clue."  But sometimes you get one who will just lie thru his teeth.  ("Rare!" and the like.)

Even I, who consider myself fairly knowlegable, managed to get burned on an ebay sewing machine.  (The seller stated, "Works great!  No problems at all!"  When I got the machine, it did not work great.  I consulted a pro and found out that the gears were stripped.)  I got my money for the machine back, but not shipping...which still pisses me off, b/c the seller clearly lied. 

So let me be a lesson to everyone:  buyer beware!

ETA:  This is a great link for advice on ebay buying:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=1220
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Braided Hairstyles That Look Amazing on Everyone
Beauty Test Lab: Pop Buzzing Buffer Review
Beauty Prep School: How To Do An At-Home Manicure
How to Wear Lip Liner
Double Dare: The Right Way To Brighten Up Your Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...