A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine / Serger Q&A  (Read 121721 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sapphire_distortion
« Reply #700 on: August 07, 2008 07:37:48 PM »

oh dear. If a needle tip gets down where you can't get at it can be potentially very bad, or it could rattle around in the case not touching anything doing no harm but being noisy.
You took the sole plate up & the bobbin race out and no needle tip?
Where did you det it? did you get a manual? did you get a warranty? what's the return policy?

Umm...eBay, no, no, none. I'm getting a manual soon. I can probably get it fixed for relatively cheap - I think it was a steal, $50 with shipping because it didn't have a foot pedal, but it had a bunch of different needles, feet, and cams...and there was another auction at the same time for a foot pedal for like $25 with shipping, which were like $80-100 everywhere else I saw. It's a late 70's model (6440 Colormatic). But anyways, so it's totally worth it to me to just take it in to a repair shop, it'll probably only be $40-50.

I didn't take the plate up though. I might try that. It's not constructed like the other machines I've had - the bobbin is kind of...recessed? It's a bit harder to get into the area around it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
angeltreats
« Reply #701 on: August 07, 2008 11:54:39 PM »

So I just got my "new" Viking today. However, when I move the hand wheel (even when there's no needle in), there's a small "clinking" sound and it feels like it's catching on something around the bobbin. The needle that was in the machine had the tip broke off. Would I be right in assuming that the tip of the needle is somewhere in the bobbin casing and if so, how would you suggest getting it out? I already blasted it with canned air to no avail. Thanks.

I saw your post on the "let's see your sewing machine" thread and thought "what an awesome machine!" Cheesy  I love Vikings. I hope you're able to get this sorted.

There are a few Viking manuals HERE, the one for yours isn't free but maybe one of the free ones is for a similar model.  I think (although I could be wrong) that the bobbin races in most Vikings are similar, if yours is anything like mine you should be able to just unscrew it with the three little screws you see when you open the door and take it apart to see if there's anything stuck in there.  But you say it's more recessed than other machines... maybe you can post a photo so we can have a look and try and figure out how to get in there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sapphire_distortion
« Reply #702 on: August 11, 2008 02:36:53 PM »

Well, update on the Viking - I took off the plate and cleaned out under it, there was some lint, but I couldn't get off the bobbin casing because of the way it's constructed - there's a little presser-button-switch in the right corner that's not attached directly to the bobbin part, but it releases the foot-plate, and it blocks the bobbin thing from coming out when unscrewed.

Possibly the most un-literate explanation ever, haha.

Anyways, I also noticed that it's only when going in reverse instead of forward. I'll probably give it one more try and then take it to the shop - I imagine it needs a tune-up anyways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whoakatie
« Reply #703 on: August 13, 2008 11:17:09 AM »

I have a 1034D Brother Serger and it has no CD or manual. I really want to know how to do the simple stitch on most seams of shirts where is looks like the normal serger stitch on the inside and one the outside (the part you see) it just looks like two rows of plain stitching (= = = =) I cannot figure out how to do it.. if anyone can help me out at all I would be eternally grateful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sew.
pino_i
« Reply #704 on: August 13, 2008 07:42:13 PM »

i have a little question. i know its dumb but here it goes. What's a seger? Huh Huh Huh Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #705 on: August 15, 2008 03:40:01 PM »

So my new used Babylock serger(THAT I FINALLY GOT AND IT WORKS YAAAAAY) says to use Organ DCx1F needles. I found some Organ DCx1 needles for sale on eBay, are these the same one or would they work? Thanks!

Also, about the Viking machine - I think it works fine, I cleaned out the bobbin case some more and can't hear the noise anymore. Or maybe I was hallucinating. Either way...I'll test it out for sure when I get the foot pedal, but I think it works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #706 on: August 15, 2008 07:44:30 PM »

A serger is sort of like a sewing machine but it uses multiple spools of thread (3, 4 or 5) and can cut & bind the edge all in one action (like the inside seams of commercially produced tees). They are very fast but limited in a number of ways. A good sewing machine can do everything a serger can, a serger cannot do everything a sewing machine can. You cannot replace a sewing machine with a serger.

They are a nice extra but by no means a required piece of equipment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GlassSquid
« Reply #707 on: August 17, 2008 06:20:31 PM »

One day I woke up and decided "I should sew something." So off to JoAnn's I run. I returned with all my notions, scratched out a pattern, and pulled out my sewing machine.

I'm fairly certain this thing is older than I am. A Kenmore 1525 Zig-Zag Sewing Machine, it was bought at a garage sale at least 16 years ago. Thing looks pretty good for it's age and even after about ten minutes of knowing it I'm already rather fond. It's just got one problem, and it's a pretty big one. The needle doesn't line up with the foot. I know the foot is in the right place because its centered over the whole to the bobbin, but the needle hits the right prong of the foot as you look at it from the front.

Something has got to move, but I can't figure out what or how.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008 06:25:12 PM by GlassSquid » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #708 on: August 17, 2008 09:02:23 PM »

First, make sure it's set on straight stitch. Then, if it's not lining up still, you need to find the thing that adjusts the needle position (it's probably a lever instead of a button or dial).

If you can't find this adjustor, get the manual. Don't have one? You can get it online, might even be free if it's old enough. Read that baby cover to cover. Last resort take it in to a sewing machine repair shop, NOT Sears. Without the original warranty Sears will not be any more efficient that a local repair shop, might even take longer & cost more. (If you have the original warranty, do take it to Sears, their warranties rock, this case we know it doesn't exist as it was purchased second hand).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stylinmommy
« Reply #709 on: September 02, 2008 10:37:32 AM »

I hope this is the right place to post my question.  I apologize in advance if it is not. 

I just bought a serger (Pfaff 4752) from Craigslist.  The model is 2 years old but the lady never used it.  Anyways, I got it threaded and tried to use it, but the stitching is very wonky.  The threads are loose and not aligned very well.  Also the fabric seems to be puckering between the seam. 

Maybe the tension is off (I have them all set at 3)? but I have no idea because I have never used a serger before.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do next or how to fix this?  Should I try to play around with it or should I take it in to have it serviced and the tensions adjusted?

Is there a thread about tips for beginning sergers???

I am a little discouraged.  I had no idea a serger would be so difficult to use! 

TIA for any tips!   

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blow Dry Layered Hair
How to Blow Dry Long Hair
How to Blow Dry Thick Hair
How to Blow Dry Thin and Delicate Hair
How to Blow Dry Hair Straight
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...