A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,595
Currently Running With Scissors:
770 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine / Serger Q&A  (Read 120537 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpottedFrog
« Reply #600 on: April 15, 2008 07:52:12 PM »

overstock.com? There's a REASON they are overstocked on some things. :/

I'm a broken record with this: go sew on one. seriously, you won't know if you like it unless you sit down & try it. If you can't find one near you it's not likely you'll find service for it near you either.

Sewing machines are not microwaves where you push a couple buttons & it does it's thing. They are more like cars, yeah they all can get you from point A to point B, but you might be a Mini Cooper girl where I'm a Chevy Tahoe girl, does that help? It's the subtleties of how you interact with the machine that make you like or dislike one model over another- you can't find that out from stats on a page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: April 16, 2008 05:46:49 AM »

I have a Brother CS-80 and while I like it and it is a decent machine, it does have one annoying habit. The tension has to be reset nearly each time I replace a bobbin or begin a new project.

I use mine for very basic home sewing and that suits me just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pariah
« Reply #602 on: April 18, 2008 11:17:26 AM »

I've been looking at some machines that do both sewing and embroidery...are the all so painfully expensive? So far I've found ones that range from $2k to over $3k. Is that typical for these machines? Are there any out there under $1k? Sad

I'm browsing online and at local stores, but wanted to get some input from people more experienced here. I've only owned two sewing machines my whole life (an old Singer that lasted 40+ years from my grandmother, and a Simplicity that lasted 8 years), and my current one just died.

ETA: Is anyone familiar with This machine? The Amazon reviews seem pretty favorable, and the price is excellent.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008 12:45:54 PM by Pariah » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #603 on: April 18, 2008 02:41:06 PM »

In general, the lower priced (under $700) embroidery capable machines are pretty limited, basicly a couple letter styles and a couple dozen pictures in it's memory & that's all, they can't be added to or what you can add is very limited. All the really flexible embroidery machines are going to be at least $1500, but you have pretty much all clip art ever made available to you as pictures and hundredns of fonts, pretty much any true type font. Does that help explaining the difference? It's like a Leap Pad computer vs. a HP with Adobe Illustrator on it- they are both real computers you can draw pictures with, but you have way more flexibility and range with the HP.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FaeryDust
Faery Dust's Profile

Fill my heart with song and let me sing forever

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 19, 2008 06:03:58 PM »

Okay I am trying to work my sewing machine but I am really lost on how to thread it and the instructions are plain confusing!!  I really want to get to sewing... but alas Im confused.  Does anybody know how to thread a Euro Pro X sewing machine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps if anybody is interested please PM me!
angeltreats
« Reply #605 on: April 23, 2008 08:54:47 AM »

If you post a photo of it maybe we can help figure it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

champagneIV
« Reply #606 on: April 24, 2008 05:01:46 AM »

I'm relatively new to sewing and looking to buy my first new machine.  I used to work on my mother's Kenmore which was from the 60s or something but I've been far away from home for the past couple years and after some attempts at handsewing some alterations, it is killing me to spend over an hour on a hem that would take a couple minutes if I had a machine. 

I only need a straight a zigzag stitch and I mostly only sew simple cottons.. but I also like doing denim and vinyl, and maybe someday even leather but I don't think i'm likely to get a sewing machine in my current price range that can do leather.  I have a chance to buy a White #212 for $30 very lightly used and I'm considering jumping on it but I'm concerned it won't be able to handle even thin vinyl... does anyone have any experience with this or can give me advice on doing very simple sewing on tougher materials? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #607 on: April 24, 2008 05:08:08 AM »

If you post a photo of it maybe we can help figure it out.
Even a link to one for sale would help. I went looking, but didn't see any Euro Pros that didn't have some sort of numerical model number.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
clrowi
« Reply #608 on: April 27, 2008 02:32:55 PM »

Okay, I'm a NEWBIE sewer and it's not the machine, it is me, because this is the second machine I've screwed up like this and CAN'T figure out how to fix it.

Can someone please help??
This is the top side of the work, what you see as you work on your project:

And this is the underside:

What is wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
demekah

Just Being Creative..

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 27, 2008 02:47:21 PM »

You have to make the thread on the downside tighter. You have to read your manual for that. (I hope my English is good enough to explain..)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just Being Creative..
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 16/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 1/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 12/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 13/29
How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 10/29
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...