A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
323 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine / Serger Q&A  (Read 125501 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpottedFrog
« Reply #570 on: January 29, 2008 08:11:19 PM »

Usually tension is somewhere in the middle of your numbers, my serger goes from 0 to 9, 0 being nothing at all 9 being break-the-thread tight. The tension on each thread is a little different. The guy who services my machine wrote the correct numbers right on my machine in pencil for me Smiley Mine are all in the 4 to 5 range.

Second part- a square knot should work for pulling threads through. It's 2 granny knots, Right over Left & under then Left over Right & under. I cannot describe it any better without pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #571 on: January 30, 2008 04:12:33 AM »

I've been told by a number of people on a sewing forum I frequent that sergers are fairly particular about how they're threaded. Any number of people have solved their serger issues by simply rethreading the whole thing. Unfortunately, it didn't work for mine.  Roll Eyes  That being said, you might not have to completely rethread it just due to tension changes, but if you're still having problems with it, it's not a bad fix.  You also need to be sure to thread them in the recommended order.  I don't know why, but people say it's important (can you tell I don't use mine much?).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
SpottedFrog
« Reply #572 on: January 30, 2008 05:02:18 AM »

The order is very important- dunno why the machines are sooooooooterribly picky, but they are! I wrote that on my machine Roll Eyes
Of course thread #2 always breaks for me, so I'm re-threading the whole stupid thing every time anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amansterdam
« Reply #573 on: February 04, 2008 04:44:57 AM »

HELP!!

My Gramma gave me her Pfaff serger to take back to Amsterdam with me from Canada...I have an adapter, plugged it in, heard a 'pop' from the serger and now it won't turn on...

I'm assuming that I've probably blown a fuse or something in the machine? Can I bring it in to get repaired?

Or is it toast Sad Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #574 on: February 04, 2008 04:55:10 AM »

No fuses on a serger Sad definately take it in, Pfaff's are really good machines. If it costs a $100 to get it fixed it's still cheaper than buying a new Pfaff serger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleHeather
« Reply #575 on: February 04, 2008 05:14:42 AM »

*nods*  US/Canadian voltage is 120 volts, whereas Europe is 230 volts - you've given the machine almost double the power it needs, hence the pop!

See this page for more info on world voltages.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008 05:17:05 AM by PurpleHeather » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amansterdam
« Reply #576 on: February 04, 2008 05:27:21 AM »

I figured that's what I did :/

Yeah, it IS a good machine, and I'm willing to pay to get it fixed...I just wanted to know whether or not it was fixable.

What a dummy...after all the hassle of bringing it back!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aml
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 12, 2008 08:43:42 AM »

Hi, I thought I would give it a try and ask you guys:

I inherited this wonderful old Husqvarna 21E and it works quite perfectly. Only thing, I did not get a manual and did not find one for under 30USD, no shipping to Europe....

The manufacturer told me, that the Husqvarna 19A does work quite similar and offered me to buy a manual of this one for 10EUR (Printout of a scan). Does anyone own the 21E and could scan/copy the real manual for me?

Thanks in advance
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #578 on: February 12, 2008 01:55:48 PM »

That's goregeous! I'm jelous! 10 bucks does seem a bit steep for an old manual 30 is obscene! But one of that vintage a reprint might be your only option. Calling every place that sells used machines you'd spend more than the 10 in phone charges.

Addenda: I'd only spend money to get the original or reprint of exaxtly the right manuial, it's BS if they are trying to sell you one similar but not 100% correct.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008 01:57:24 PM by Penlowe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
veri
« Reply #579 on: February 19, 2008 03:52:34 PM »

This will probably be the right place to ask about different models of sewing machine - I'll most probably be getting a new one pretty soon. To make a long story short: mine (Elna 3007 - http://www.oksewingandvacuum.com/3007_o.jpg) is driving me crazy for some years now and it is just getting worse every year... To be fair to it - I made 3 fat quilts and some other stuff with very stiff fabric so I guess I should say it served me well (that's what the repairman said - that this wasn't meant for this kind of sewing - just for shirts and skirts and such stuff - grrrr Angry Huh...) - so it did that but only I know how many times I freaked out doing that... Soooo - my darling has enough of my frustration and wants to buy me a new one - yeeey Grin Even better - a really good one - double yeeey!

There is a particular one I fell in love with at the store while looking for serger (by the way - I love it!) - but hadn't have the chance to try it yet. And since this is a major investment I'd like to hear your opinion first. So - does anybody have a Elna Quilter's pro 7200 or 7300 (the newer model - they don't sell 7200 anymore where I live)? And how do you like it? Here is a link:
http://www.elna.us/en/products/computer/7300IAF/

I'm not so emotionally attached to Elna (it's just the nearest shop so I checked this one out;) - can't go fat with the trolley/wagon in this weather Wink) so I'd be happy to hear about other models from other brands having similar features - I specially like:
the long arm (I really fell in love with that - it seams so practical for quilted blankets)
strong needle penetration on all fabrics (I love power since I made quite some quilts and heavy-duty stuff, my love and I both love jeans - but my sewing machine unfortunately doesn't)
and of course the speed is not something I would reject as well;)

Of course I ' be very happy to have other decorative stitches since they are very limited on mine (and you can not vary most of them:(
I'm particularly interested in brands that are available here - those are: Elna, Bernina, Pfaff, Toyota, Singer (I live in a small country;) I might loose some but we definitely don't have Vicking and Huskvarna. (I don't know how to spell that - sorry)

Where could I find any reviews on different machines - I apologise for my ignorance but I have never bought a sewing machine in my life - I got this one from my mum since she couldn't learn to use it- fine with me Grin but I need to move on before they take me to an institution driving mad over it...

Thank you so much for all your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eyeliner to Make Your Eyes Pop
Summer Skin Care Products
Summer Makeup Palette Reviews
Smooth Out Your Cellulite With Items from the Kitchen
Ask Essie: What Nail Color to Wear Right Now
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...