A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,364
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine / Serger Q&A  (Read 132595 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 08, 2008 09:52:12 AM »

I found my mom's old Sears Kenmore 158.10400 in the attic.  It is perfectly intact, but missing the manual.  I've looked online and cannot find said manual.  Obviously the thing needs a good cleaning, because it's been in the attic for about 20 years, but I think it's still usable.  My roommate fired it up and the bobbin tension seems to be off.  I thought I would post pictures of it to see if anyone had any insights, as I have never had a sewing machine and haven't the first clue how to even thread the thing.  Undecided

I purchased a used machine with no manual and I was able to download one for a fee here. http://www.sewconsult.com/kenmore_sewing_machine_manual_158_1020_1050.htm
just make sure you have the right serial number, which is on the bottom of kenmores.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008 09:56:48 AM by Diesels_Mom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
katiebread
« Reply #561 on: January 08, 2008 12:48:31 PM »

I purchased a used machine with no manual and I was able to download one for a fee here. http://www.sewconsult.com/kenmore_sewing_machine_manual_158_1020_1050.htm
just make sure you have the right serial number, which is on the bottom of kenmores.
[/quote]

Oh thank you!  I didn't realize that the same manual covered multiple models.  Roll Eyes  I am a genius.  I shall download that post-haste!  I assume it will tell me what all the feet are as well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redbricks
« Reply #562 on: January 08, 2008 05:26:25 PM »

hey-
     I have what seems to be a common problem on this thread, but would very much appreciate some insight. I was given an old Necchi, model 534FB. I've just begun sewing and am already tired of doing so by hand so I'm quite happy to get an old machine. However, I know nothing and have heard nothing about the quality of the Necchi brand- it doesn't even seem to be around anymore.

When I press the foot the machine runs but the needle does not move (someone earlier had the same problem but the recommended solution didn't work on mine). I'm stuck at school in a dorm for several weeks before I'll have a chance to take the machine home to a good place to have it looked at, and before I wait forever to find out if I can even fix this one (and how much it will cost) I would LOVE to hear if anyone can tell me *anything* about the quality of this old brand/model. Might it be worth a possibly pricey repair, since it does seem that older machines are pretty well thought of? Or not so much with this one? Many thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #563 on: January 09, 2008 05:13:39 AM »

Necchi is Japanese, and may possibly still be around under a new name (like Datsun's are now Nissan's).
No needle monvement is not good Sad if it's old enough perhaps a rubber gasket has disintigrated & therefor things are no longer engaging. Definately a repair shop issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diesels_Mom
Please refrain from frying bacon naked.

Mango Tango Scented Love Machine

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 09, 2008 08:35:22 AM »

[/quote]

Oh thank you!  I didn't realize that the same manual covered multiple models.  Roll Eyes  I am a genius.  I shall download that post-haste!  I assume it will tell me what all the feet are as well?
[/quote]
My manual list some of the the feet but not all of them. If you post a pic of the feet in question I can probably tell you what they are for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/dieselsmom

* I Love personal swaps! *

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: January 09, 2008 11:46:28 AM »

My manual list some of the the feet but not all of them. If you post a pic of the feet in question I can probably tell you what they are for.

that isn't really surprising as there are so many specialty feet that can be gotten and don't "come with" the machines.

post up pictures, we may be able to ID them just with that.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
arrhythmia
« Reply #566 on: January 09, 2008 06:04:19 PM »

I would def pursue the online manual thing. I was able to get an online manual download for a 1940's singer featherweight. In addition, there are groups of enthusiasts online who love machines and lines very specifically. Someone helped me make ar repair/tuneup of mine by online instructions, or someone may be able to make a copy of their manual and send it to you. One group is http://www.ismacs.net/ a sewing machine collectors society. You'll find a lot of links, and might try just typing in the name of your machine or model # and searching. Good luck in your search. Most older machines are fairly similar and if yiou can get a manual or find another person with an older machine, you may be able to figure it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chilan
« Reply #567 on: January 12, 2008 07:32:01 AM »

ACK!  I'm getting really frustrated, and I'm hoping someone can help me. 

I have a Singer serger, Model #14HS654.  A while ago, maybe a year or so, I had issues with some tension problems and I got busy and never figured it out.  Now I have some time on my hands and I figured that I could sit down and make my machine run nice and smooth again....  But I can't find my manual!!  I have no idea what the tensions for the threads should be...  Let alone the different types of stitches my machine can do.  I tried to just sit down and fiddle on my own, but I think I made things worse.  I tried searching online for a manual, and all of them I have to pay for, at least $8.  Help!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #568 on: January 12, 2008 02:53:56 PM »

Most of the free manuals are for old machines, if yours is only 3-5 years old I'm afraid that you will have to buy a new one. Or you could just clean your crafting space till you find it, but that's not much fun. Also, depending on several factors taking it in for a cleaning & adjustment can be very educational, but of course you are paying for services there, too. Most machine repair places will show you the ins & outs of your machine if you ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
themoonisout
« Reply #569 on: January 29, 2008 07:08:03 PM »

Well, I haven't found a specific answer to my problem in this thread...so here's what I've got.

My serger is threaded and all that, but the tension is royally screwed up. When I threaded the machine, all the tension knobs were not set at 0 or the same setting, but I didn't really think about that. Now, I can't get the tension right because I don't know what it is, basically. Do you think I have to un-thread the machine completely...or can I just un-thread from the point after the tension discs, turn the knobs properly, re-thread from the bobbins to the discs, and tie each thread to its other half...? I'm pretty sure this will work, but what kind of knot will not come untied?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Photos to a Frame
How to Personalize the Urban Grunge Template
How to Add a different background
How to Change the Color of a Digital Backdrop
How to Create a Sports Poster
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...