A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to find someone who spins?  (Read 653 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ahtchristina
« on: February 25, 2011 07:46:21 AM »

I'm peeking in for just a moment...I usually frequent the crocheting boards.

A family member saw some pics of the hats I make and said if I could make one that looked like a Toller, they'd pay for it.  They breed Nova Scotia Duck Toller Retrievers (dogs), and I pretty much said if I could ever find a yarn to match their beautiful coat I might make a hat, but until then I wouldn't be able to do it justice.

This whole conversation was on my photo album on Facebook, so other family members jumped in and (I assume) jokingly said there's enough dog hair around, why not just use the real thing?  (And put a tag on the inside of the hat that no Tollers were harmed in the making of the hat Smiley)

So, of course I started thinking about the posibilites...quest ion: Is it possible to spin a medium length dog's hair into yarn?  How do I find someone to do it?  I looked on Kijiji and only found spinning classes - the ones where you excercise on a bike...

Is there a group I should be looking for, or something that would make the search easier?

I live in Alberta, Canada if anyone is from there - just outside Calgary.

Christina
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011 07:47:48 AM by ahtchristina - Reason: spelling errors :( » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011 10:32:34 AM »

I have seen a website before for a woman who specializes in spinning pet yarn.  For hard-to-spin pet fiber, I think she blends it with a similar color of wool.  I sure wish I could remember her name, or the name of her website!  Maybe if you just Google "spinning pet hair into yarn" you'll get some results?  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WMA
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011 05:14:14 PM »

Tollers, like most retrievers, are double-coated which means they have a soft undercoat and a course topcoat. If they have their dogs groomed or groom them themselves they could just start saving the soft undercoat until there is enough to spin. One thing about the undercoat is it comes out lighter than the color of the dog...depending on the breed it could even be a different color (some dark dogs have a pale undercoat, etc). I have a golden retriever (a medium to dark amber color) and her undercoat is a light honey color.

http://www.vipfibers.com/ is one place that offers a pet fur spinning service (they don't blend with wool, which I like, but I think the blending with wool thing is personal preference). Even if you didn't use their service they have a lot of good information about it, such as approximately how much fur it would take to make a hat. There is plenty of advice here on the fiber boards if you wanted to learn how to spin it yourself...check out the Spinning FAQs and the Learning to Spin.

If all else fails, you could probably convince one of the Craftster spinners to spin it up for you for a small fee or trade Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FirelightSpinner
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011 08:34:11 AM »

Hi~
If you're looking for someone who does this, I do this....among many other crafting endeavors.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~K~
Spinner, Knitter, crocheter, tatter, novice ironworker, natural & chemical dyer, primitive and yarn rug-hooker, creative consultant, teacher & crafting demonstrator of all the above
jexxican
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011 02:28:23 PM »

I'd be willing to as well. I've been wanting to call some groomers in town to see if I could get some dog hair (for free?) to try to spin. Other spinnings are boring me at the moment and I'm too lazy to learn something cool like coils or core-spun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Execute the Running Game in Backgammon
Overview of Strategy in Backgammon
Bearing Off in Backgammon
Movement of the Checkers in Backgammon, Part 3
Movement of the Checkers in Backgammon, Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...