A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Noooo Craft Rage!! Craft Rage!!  (Read 725 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkcatflower
« on: March 07, 2011 01:28:23 PM »

I have been trying to make this little stuffed dog from a calendar. 

As you can see, I started a topic cos I'm a beginner and I wasn't sure what I was doing.  Anyway, it says on the pattern "seam allowances not included".  Now, I took this to mean I had to add my own and painstakingly drew my own 6mm extra outline... 
So now I'm looking more closely at the pieces and they look a bit "fat"....some things aren't adding up....Okay so now I suspect they ARE included?!  But it doesn't state anywhere on the pattern what the seam allowance is!!

So let's see, if they aren't included that means "seam allowances not included" actually means "seam allowances not drawn on and you need to psychically guess what we made them to be"

Join me in my craft rage!! lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
gotgrey
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011 02:18:02 PM »

What I do if seam allowances aren't included is, I cut outside the drawn line.  I've never ever had a problem doing it this way.  I really don't think it's going to affect the look of your stuffing.  You just have to make sure you leave enough room/fabric to clip the curves.  Because if you don't, your curved areas will get bunchy/wrinkly.  Hope this make sense. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkcatflower
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011 03:44:37 PM »

Thanks for your help... I don't really think you understood my rant though! Lol!  Perhaps I am the only one who knows what I'm talking about!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new blog: http://makingitwell.blogspot.com  I'd love for you to visit Smiley
pinkcatflower
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011 03:06:19 PM »

Well, it all finally makes sense.  I emailed the creator of the pattern and it turns out the calendar printed it wrong.  The original pattern DOES have seam allowances included.  Can you believe it?? Madness!   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KimberleyDavis2B
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011 02:21:16 AM »

That IS frustrating!  At least you were able to contact the person and got a response.  I once purchased a pdf pattern, but one of the pages was at a different percentage than the rest and I could NOT figure out what percentage that was.  I didn't find out until I had already cut all the pieces out of the very intricate doll pattern and was trying to match them up. SO frustrating!

Unfortunately the person who had scanned their pattern did one page off, but when I tried to get hold of her she would never respond back. I ended up trashing the whole project.

I love that dog! You'll have to post pictures when it is finished.

Kimberley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let a human being throw the energies of his soul into the making of something, and the instinct of workmanship will take care of his honesty."
Walter Lippmann
pinkcatflower
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011 12:29:51 AM »

Haha, Kimberley, I feel for you.  And it makes it worse you purchased it too!  I'm sure lots of people have this sort of story.  Anyway, I finished the dog, and it's here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=375775.msg4431855#msg4431855

It all worked out well in the end! Phew! Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweatereyes

We are but lovers.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011 11:00:16 AM »

I hope you feel your effort and rage were worth it, your final product is super cute.  I know I've had lots of rage moments while making things, but it looks like you overcame it.  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ill weave your names into my ribcage; lock your hearts inside my chest.
Regain the passion I once carried; do away with all the rest.
I tore the sickness from your bodies; smashed its head against the bricks.
I made a castle from its bones that you may always dwell in it.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Final Cut Studio: Sprocket Holes?
Final Cut Pro/Express: Travel Matte
Motion 3: 3D Background Quick Tip
Motion 3: Random Mask Trick
Motion 3: Cool Text Trick
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...