A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steampunk Mermaid Expedition & New Hampshire Matchboxes  (Read 3932 times)
Tags for this thread: matchbox , steampunk , mermaid , new_england  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2011 08:59:16 AM »

I'm a little behind in posting these.  They were created for Round 5 of the Matchbox Swap a few months ago.

My first partner, cackle, loves mermaids, the ocean, shells, Victoriana, steampunk, and Pre-Raphealite art.  I tried to combine all of those loves in my Mermaid Expedition Matchbox.  I pictured an adventuresome and very scientific Victorian heroine setting out on the Nautilus in search of the elusive mermaids of the sea.  With a log book in hand and her bustle firmly in place, she would no doubt bring back proof to all of London society that these beautiful sirens of the deep do in fact exist!

The box was made of cardstock.  The cameo frame on the front was found in the scrapbooking section of Tuesday Morning, and I just couldn't resist them.  It came with a circular one too, that I thought looked more like a porthole on a ship, but alas the circle shape didn't fit onto the matchbox. The image of the Mermaid came from the Graphics Fairy. 

The back of the cover has some metal gears on it, held in place with oxidized brads.  The contents are a melange of bits and bobs.  I admit I was trying to channel craftster friend Wulf in my choices, as he always picks such fun items to fit inside his boxes.

Some of the items inside include an envelope of watch parts given to me by april again, a wing and shield charm, brass swivel clasp, compass charm, glass vial filled with tiny shells and clear resin, square brass beads, brass chain, freshwater pearls, mini shells, brass and copper gears, shell buttons, mermaid earrings, pocket watch charm, brass key charm, carnival ticket, and some bits of fun paper.

My second partner was jmiller614, who after some messaging back and fourth, I discovered is also from New Hampshire!  She is equally "stuck" in another state, far from home too.  As I adore - and greatly miss - NH, I couldn't resist the idea of creating a Granite State themed box for her. 

The box was again made of cardstock.  The letters on the back of the cover are chipboard pieces I found in a "travel" set at Dollar Tree.  I liked how they mingled with the green box to give it a woodsy feeling.  Sewn along both sides of the box are green buttons.

The front has our state motto on it, the legendary "Live Free or Die", penned by Revolutionary War hero (and NH native) General John Stark on the anniversary of the Battle of Bennington.  Poor health kept Gen. Stark from attending the reunion, so he sent a toast by letter to his friends.  The first layer of goodies inside the box includes glass leaves in green and brown to represent NH's beautiful fall foliage, a bottle of flower petals from my last garden in NH before I moved to KY, a baseball glove for jmiller's love of the Boston Redsox, a compass button for her love of hiking and outdoor sports in New England, a Tim Holtz "Unique" token.

Digging deeper into the box there is a piece of tartan ribbon for all the Irish & Scottish immigrants to New England, a bottle cap pendant with an image from a vintage postcard of NH, a cookie fortune that reads "Fortune sides with him who dares" for our rather strong Yankee spirit, paper butterflies and flowers for NH's flora & fauna, a piece of velum with out state flower, the purple lilac on it, a ring clip, a sketch of Fort William Mary from 1705, some bits of pretty paper, and a scroll of the poem Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011 10:04:35 AM »

These are so pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Sonja_Amsterdam
Absolute beginner

Stopped trying, started doing.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011 04:23:54 AM »

These are awesome! Being a bit of a pre-raphaelite fan myself the Steampunk mermaid has to be my favourite. And I'm really impressed with how the combination of themes came together so well. Who'd have thought? And I can totally see your love for NH in the second box.

I'm inspired to make one myself now, I'm off on holiday soon and I'm thinking they'd make great travel memory chests as well. Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say that again? Slowly....
MissWhiteRabbit
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011 10:43:15 AM »

gorgeous! I'd love to find one of these under the floor boards!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cellabella
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011 05:59:42 PM »

I love making things as tiny as possible and I love old-fashioned steampunk. I wish I had seen this swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cottonmouth
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011 09:46:31 PM »

Awww so lovely! I am loving the frames on the cover  Grin
I wish I had that collection of trinkets..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sℴt ℬℓℴℴdℯd jℯwℯℓry

http://soft-blooded.blogspot.com
http://softblooded.etsy.com

ℰsthℯr
mbhookstar

ohhhhhh bungy!!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011 04:26:19 PM »

Wonderful job on the boxes! I have to say i especially love the NH box because i live in NH Grin it is perfect!! So inspiring!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011 05:40:12 PM »

Wonderful job on the boxes! I have to say i especially love the NH box because i live in NH Grin it is perfect!! So inspiring!!

Live free or die!  (I'm super excited because I'm heading home to NH for a week starting tomorrow!!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
mbhookstar

ohhhhhh bungy!!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011 06:41:02 PM »

Just saw you were coming to NH you must be back now but hope you had a great trip!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
as123
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011 11:22:15 AM »

Very pretty and thoughtful:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Inside Out Cheeseburger Recipe
Mac and Cheese with Peas and Bacon Recipe
Chili Dogs with Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
Burger Bar Tips and Quick Recipes
Don’t Tell Mama: Cornbread Dressing Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...