A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday - 25th Feb  (Read 2942 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stellou
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2011 01:29:57 PM »

I feel very shy and undeserving starting this Fiber Friday as I'm a newb, but nobody has started yet and on this side of the Atlantic there's only 3 hours left of Friday  Grin
 THis is what I've been working on starting from most recent
Gratuitious shot of my brand new (cheap) spindle just because I'm in love with it!

Single unknown wool (came with the spindle)

And before that I'd been playing with natural shetland, many thanks to Mullerslanefarm who took the trouble to explain to me about Shetland wool.

plyed black (quite coarse)

single grey - this roving was softer than the black and I found that spinning it thicker kept it more pleasant - I'm afraid there is probably a bit too much twist in it.

Right now I've shown you mine, I want to see all your beautiful projects...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011 08:30:30 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed date » THIS ROCKS   Logged

back to quilting...hurray and I dusted my art material Cheesy
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011 02:54:31 PM »

Today (the 24th) is Thursday.  Wink  You're a little ahead of the game but your yarns look lovely!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011 03:04:08 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Angry Hippie
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011 05:19:00 PM »

Cheesy You're from the future!  

What a beautiful spindle, your yarn is lovely, i like the black.  Got any ideas what you'll use it for.  I have a cone of really coarse wool and i can't for the life of me figure out what to do with it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011 05:19:30 PM by The Angry Hippie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011 08:45:22 PM »

It feels like a Friday to me too!!

I'm finishing up a pair of socks from handspun.  I'll try to get a picture of the original roving, the (walnut) dyed yarn and the socks and post it tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
stellou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011 12:17:27 AM »

Oh DOH! Embarrassed
Sorry the kids and teacher hubby are on holiday and I lost track of time!
Walnut dye sounds lovely...does it smell? (I love the smell of chestnut trees)
As for my coarse wool I think I'll try card weaving a bookmark cause a scrubbie would felt, wouldn't it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

back to quilting...hurray and I dusted my art material Cheesy
Antsy
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011 02:05:06 AM »

It's Friday here!

Jacob 2 ply- spun on my antique german double flyer spinning wheel, Dorathee

Romney 2 ply- This stuff is soo soft and lovely it even passes the bra test. I ordered some online and sadly, it's not near so soft and lovely. This was spun on my Antique Finnish Wheel, Laila

Dorset 2 ply- The ugliest yarn ever. It was supposed to be purple. Instead it's a washed out mauve ick color.  Spun on Laila

Random wool singles(probably Norwegian)-It's really a teal color, not terribly soft. Spun on Laila

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011 05:01:24 AM by Antsy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011 07:31:59 AM »

stellou, I love your yarns and your spindle.

Antsy, that Romney looks heavenly!  Smiley

Here are mine for the week so far, fresh off the wheel. I spun up some more of the carding experiment rolags I made by adding some fluff from Lion brand homespun to grab bag wool from the Sheep Shed. I am probably going to just set the twist in the greenish one and use it as is, but the blue and rust one has some sections that look really muddy and barfy. I will be over-dyeing that with some blue the next time I get out my Wiltons colors. These were spun with a supported long draw. Semi-worsted, I think?   

These are some of the dye sopper scraps that are picked over after I took out the pieces of roving. There is a lot of fiber in here that is aligned in places, and every-which-way in others.

I tore off some staple lengths of this wool, and laid them out like I was putting them on a carder. But since the fiber was aligned, I just made a little fluffy stack of it and wrapped it around a pencil, like a puni of sorts.

I was able to make a bunch of these in an afternoon. More than you see here. I had fun laying out mixes of color.

Here is the yarn I have made with them so far. I like spinning in supported long draw a lot. I am able to make a somewhat thicker single this way. When I spin short draft, I tend to make really thin and over spun yarn. I seem to be able to tell when I have too much spin in my yarn this way. I would like to be able to make strong singles I can use as is for knitting and weaving. I like the tweedy barber pole effect Im getting in this yarn so far. Its really fun and relaxing to spin these, and Im not having any problems drafting out my punis of wool. I still am not very consistent, so my yarns can't be used for warp yet, but I'll have a ton of weft yarns and knitting yarns before spring gets here.  Cheesy

One  great thing about these little rolls of wool is that you can fit a bunch of them neatly into a plastic shoe box for storing. Ill be making some more of them today.
The wool that isnt aligned enough to make punis will go up on my comb hackle or be carded into rolags.

I have more pics of finished yarns to add later on today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011 08:06:10 AM »

fun!!!  I've got one yarn to share, only I can't!  it's for Dharma rebel, and she wont have it for at least 2 weeks yet!  I'm currently spinning some dog fur too, but I'm not sure if I should try doing it a different way, or taking the time to card it up with some merino.....

Stellou, it doesn't matter the cost of the spindle, just as long as it's a dream to work with!  gorgeous yarns!
Antsy, I love romney too!  it's a dream to spin.  The thing about any wool is if you get a sheep from farm A that's been wearing a coat, and then a sheep from farm B that's just been let free in the field, you'll have 2 different levels of softness.  Your navy yarn looks super squishy, and I'd love to have my hands on it!
LaughingLark, that last one is so bright and so happy,  I love it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011 08:25:34 AM »

Thanks, Belladune. Can't wait to see your yarn.  Smiley

Here are some more pics of finished yarns. Or sort-of finished yarns.  Smiley

Purple pansy. This one was going to be plyed with thread, but I decided that I'm not ready to do that yet, so I just set the twist. However, there is way too much twist in this yarn. I might end up trying Navajo ply on this one. Not sure yet.

Cherry blossom.

Lavender tweed without a name. Smiley

The first of the Lion Brand scrap carding experiment yarns. I was trying to learn how to do unsupported English long draw on these. Quickly switched to supported long draw. I ended up with thick and thin with lots of weaker fluffy spots. I ended up not liking the colors very much after setting the twist. These skeins will head to the dye pot for sure before I use them. Since the purples are acrylic, I just need to pick a dye that will look good with purple. These will be added to my stash of weft yarns.  Smiley

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011 08:29:44 AM by LaughingLark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011 09:02:27 AM »

It has been FOREVER since I've posted on FF. But, I've been pretty damn busy Smiley Here's some of my latest stuff. Be warned, this is going to be a super picture chubby post!

corespinSkein by Zombie_Mama
My first corepsinning attempt. I REALLY happy with how it came out and can't wait to do more corespinning.

GatheredRoots1 by Zombie_Mama, on Flickr
lambswool merino plied with mercerized cotton crochet thread

Mrs.Weasley by Zombie_Mama, on Flickr
This yarn is my most favorite creation. Over 1000 yards from over 50 samples from the Phat fiber box. It is gorgeous. I can't even remember how many different fibers are in this yarn!

SeaFoam3 by Zombie_Mama, on Flickr
Superwash merino plied with tencel thread

VampireGirl2c by Zombie_Mama, on Flickr
merino/bamboo plied with tencel thread

VampireGirls by Zombie_Mama, on Flickr
Same fiber plied with two different colors of tencel thread.

LoveLust6 by Zombie_Mama, on Flickr
Merino single ply

This is some of the fiber I've been dyeing as well..

Rose Garden2 by Zombie_Mama, on Flickr

Oceania1 by Zombie_Mama, on Flickr

Fairy Wings2 by Zombie_Mama, on Flickr

I know this isn't a finished project... but I thought you guys might like to see all this delicious alpaca that I'm fluffing and teasing by hand. Next step is to hand card it. This is my first time processing raw fleece and I LOVE it!

SDC15157 by Zombie_Mama, on Flickr
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Saving Time Working in Lightroom 2 and Photoshop CS4
Using 3D in Photoshop
How to Use Content Aware Scaling in Adobe Photoshop CS4 (Lynda.Com)
Making Lower Thirds Part 3 - Photoshop for Video 95
Making Lower Thirds Part 1 - Photoshop for Video
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...