A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,597
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The first true, completely honest Asian inspired cross stitch kit  (Read 5250 times)
Tags for this thread: cross_stitch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stitchencupboards
« on: February 23, 2011 11:17:44 AM »

First, a little background; I happen to speak (and coincidentally, read) Mandarin Chinese, and one of the greatest joys of my life is when I walk around public places reading people's tattoos, then asking them what THEY think it says. Sure, most of the time, it does say something polite and generic, like "Peace", "Harmony", or "Love", but there are those moments where I look at them as they detail how they got this ancient Chinese symbol for "Virility", and what it really says is, "Train Ticket". My personal favorite was a man who said that his tattoo said, "Strength of the Bull". It really said, "My mother is a cow."

So when I first sat down to design my own cross stitch kits, I was grossly offended why my doting cat lady aunt told me to do Chinese characters, because, as she says, "People love Chinese words, I see them everywhere!" The fact that you see these characters everywhere with no one truly understanding them is not comforting to me. But I decided that, since my aunt is a sweetheart, she was just trying to get me to make something that represents me. That's when it hit me. I'm sarcastic. So I made something in Chinese that was ironic. So, I present to you a Chinese couplet in 4 character phrases, a Mandarin poem. It says, "Ni bu zhi dao, Zhe shuo shen me."

It translates to, "You don't know what this says." Because when people see it hanging on my wall, they'll probably assume that it means, "The river flows through mountains and the sky is always clear", but I'll take delight in the fact that my Aida cloth is snarky. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog: http://vforvintage.wordpress.com

"I got ninety-nine problems, but a stitch ain't one."
LaundryBunny
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011 11:20:25 AM »

You. Are. Awesome.

I don't know the Chinese characters for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011 11:22:47 AM »

This makes me laugh.  Nice work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011 11:27:43 AM »

That's a really cute idea.  And this: 
My personal favorite was a man who said that his tattoo said, "Strength of the Bull". It really said, "My mother is a cow."

Made me laugh.  I have always wondered if my sister's two Chinese character tattoos really say "chaos" and "serenity."  I've always thought it would be funny if one of them said something like "crazy white girl" or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011 11:33:50 AM »

Just brilliant! The post, the idea and the cross stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchencupboards
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011 11:40:47 AM »

I have always wondered if my sister's two Chinese character tattoos really say "chaos" and "serenity."  I've always thought it would be funny if one of them said something like "crazy white girl" or something.

Check out www.mandarintools.c om, on the left hand side there's an option called "Char. Dictionary" that I used a lot when I was in school. You can type in how many lines are in the tattoo, that's the "Stroke Order", or you can type "chaos" and "serenity" into the English word look-up and it will show every possible translation, since literal translations into Chinese are pretty much impossible. Hope you find it! If not... tell your sister to message me first next time Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog: http://vforvintage.wordpress.com

"I got ninety-nine problems, but a stitch ain't one."
kcartwright856
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011 11:51:20 AM »

Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011 11:58:41 AM »

That's awesome!  In college I had a friend with a tattoo like that and I always wondered what it really said.  I never trust anything (home decor, t shirts, etc) that I can't read for myself.  I keep trying to get my husband to write something out in his native language for me to embroider to hang in our house, but he doesn't have *quite* the same sense of humor or affinity for swear words that I do!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011 11:59:49 AM by NikkiZBM » THIS ROCKS   Logged
xperimentl
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011 12:08:05 PM »

This is wonderful.  The meaning is great and the design and look of it is fabulous, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
GeekySweetheart
Tutorial Contributor

Personal Swap me!

Who you callin' scruffy lookin'?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011 12:16:22 PM »

hitting this rocks, wisting and licking my computer screen... 'lol' doesnt cover it, this caused a sinister evil villian belly laugh  Cheesy

I'm also pleased to hear my suspicion about the use of chinese in tattoo art is correct  Grin

x G

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Roasted Tomato Crowns Recipe
Blue Chips Cheese Bread Recipe
Smoked Baby Back Ribs Recipe
Learn how to Plate and Serve Chicken Breasts with Fennel, Capers and Pine Nuts
Learn how to Pan Fry Chicken Breast with Fennel, Capers and Pine Nuts
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...