A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grow Your Own Tomatoes from Seed  (Read 3005 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , garden  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 23, 2011 10:07:01 AM »

If you've always wanted to start your own tomato seedlings rather than purchase plants at a nursery, here are a few pointers.  We live in gardening zone 7 and have a greenhouse so are able to get a jump on seed starting for our area.  Let me start by saying we grow on a largeish scale, but you should be able to downsize to fit your needs.  This process works for any kind of tomatoes, but we grow only heirlooms for a few reasons; they taste so much better than hybrids, my customers at the farmer's market want them, and you can save their seeds to plant next year.  Here are some of last year's harvest.

We don't have large dinner parties between New Years and Easter because our dining room becomes seed-land.  We lay down shower curtain liners and set up a utility table on them.  We hang shop lights both above and below the table's surface.  We don't use expensive grow bulbs, just regular shop lights.  They're on a 14 hour timer.  We have no (zero) sun in our house thanks to a wrap around porch.  If you have a sunny windowsill, that will work just fine!

We use seed starting flats and a seed starting potting mix.  You can find both in lots of places including WalMart and home improvement stores.  Following the instructions on your seed packet regarding the time to start your seeds and the depth to plant them, plant 2-3 seeds in each of your tray's compartment.  We spritz them daily with water and keep the lids on the trays until the plants get to be about an inch tall. 

See how all three seeds came up in this compartment?  I take my tiny sewing scissors and cut two of the three, you only want one plant per compartment.  If you try to pull the other two out, you run the risk of damaging the roots of the plant you want to keep.

When your plants have three sets of leaves, it's time to transplant them.  It took five weeks from the day I planted the seeds for the plants to get this tall. 

If you've planned your planting dates such that your last frost date has passed, you can put these outside either in a planter or into the ground.  We're still two months from our last frost date so these are going into one cup sized peat pots.  I write right on the pots with a sharpie.  These are brandywine tomatoes (BW).  I'm also experimenting this year with wooden swizzle stick plant markers.  I'm writing on those and sealing my writing with clear nail polish.  We'll see how it goes. 

Before you try to remove them from their compartment cells, water thoroughly.  This will hold the roots in the potting medium and make the plant easy to remove.  I use a fork to remove the plant from the cell and place it into the peat pot.  Never touch the stem of a plant, just the dirt and leaves if you must.  For tomatoes, it's important to plant them as deep as possible.  The stems will grow more roots and improve the stability of your plants.  I fill the pot with a 50/50 mixture of seed starting mix and potting soil with a few Soil Moist crystals thrown in to help maintain moisture.  They're hard to find and expensive but we use them.  I've found them both online and in a very upscale garden center. 

Here a photo of our back deck from last summer, just to show you it's possible to have tomatoes in pots!  We grow about 50% in pots and 50% in raised beds.  If you have any questions about our process, I'll do my best to answer.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
kcartwright856
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011 10:52:37 AM »

So inspiring! Thank you for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011 11:08:05 AM »

Wonderful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011 04:49:47 AM »

Thanks guys!  It's quite satisfying to grow your own food.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  

Acadian Driftwood

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011 09:35:58 AM »

Impressive! I'm hoping to do tomatoes this summer. A question about the potted ones - when it doesn't rain in a while, do you have to water each one individually or is there some sort of system that can be rigged up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011 12:24:53 PM »

You can ask about drip irrigation at your local garden center.  We haven't taken the plunge yet.  I just take my coffee out on the back deck and water by hand with the garden hose.  It goes pretty fast!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  

OriginALLIty
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011 12:39:32 PM »

How often do you feed your tomatoes and with what? Our tomato babies sprouted about 2 weeks ago, can't wait to plant them!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011 12:58:34 PM »

We don't feed ours until they are either in the ground or in their pots.  Then we hit them with fish emulsion/seaweed once a week.  What kinds are you growing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  

ayanared

Mommy, Wife, Crafter

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011 09:50:13 AM »

This is so awesome!  Thank you for sharing! I *need* some heirloom seeds.  Sending you a private message...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011 11:22:26 PM »

How do you go about saving the seeds? Do they keep well dried out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tunisian Crochet: How to Start
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do Simple Stitches
Tunisian Crochet: Introduction to Tunisian
How to Use Rainbow Looms
How to Prep and Paint Windows and Doors
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...