A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Holy Grilled-Cheesus!! Momma's got a spinning wheel  (Read 741 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitaholic
« on: February 22, 2011 06:16:06 AM »

I scored a seriously good deal yesterday and purchased a Louet S10 spinning wheel in **MINT** condition Grin
eeek... Sorry I don't mean to sound braggie but if you could see me I am doing my happy dance and squealling too...

But, I don't know how to use it Shocked

I figured I can teach myself since I am internet educated in most of my crafty trades but I am having a wicked time starting her up... I think the tension is off or something. I am headed to the library today to load up on books but I was wondering if any of you lovely people might have the same wheel and can help me out. Or share your beginner horror stories so I don't feel like a tool Tongue

I tried you tubing the louet spinning wheel and there isn't anything on the S10 but there are plenty of other videos that I have been looking at so I am hopeful.

Thanks for your help... here is a picture of my new baby Kiss

THIS ROCKS   Logged
OspreyWife

Proud Marine Wife, Crochet & Spinning Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011 01:47:20 PM »

Jealous!  Wink
I have no info, but I hope you find something!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antsy
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011 12:06:32 AM »

I don't know if you're on ravelry, but I know there're a lot more people who could help you there.
I wish I could help you but since it's not an antique I have no clue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011 05:28:41 PM »

you can always call Louet and ask, and there may be a dealer near you you could talk to.  Louet should be able to point you to one. Or any spinning shop? I don't know if you have a fiber guild around you, if there is one, they could probably point you someone who has the same or a similar wheel.

I'm in Ann Arbor, Michigan (I'm not sure where you are?) but we have a great spinning guild, and if I brought a wheel in with a problem, someone would be able to sort it out...

I'd definitely try to get someone experienced to see the wheel, rather than try and fix it out of books and advice on the computer or on the phone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011 10:36:31 AM »

Congratulations!  Lovely wheel.

Have you tried spinning with a drop spindle first?  If you're new to spinning, a drop spindle might be a good choice, just to get the feel of drafting and controlling twist.  There's a big "learn to spin in 2010" stuck sticky with tons of great info.  Personally, I spun with a drop spindle at first for a few months before getting a wheel.  I think that experience really helped me.

Babe makes a really inexpensive drop spindle (around $8) and you can also make a DIY CD drop spindle.  I think the learn to spin thread has all that info included.

I learned to spin relying totally on youtube videos.  The art of Meghan videos were especially helpful to me.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011 10:43:34 AM »

Oh, by the way, what is happening when you're trying to get started spinning?  You say the tension seems off.  Is it not loading onto the bobbin?  Or is your yarn breaking before it gets there?  If you can explain what's going on in more detail when you try to spin, someone might have a solution for you.

Also, just treadling the wheel without any fiber on it can help at first.  It feels kind of silly while you're doing it, but that way your foot and leg action can just be automatic and you can focus more on your hands and drafting while you're spinning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Porsche
How to Draw a Blue Neko Girl
Whitechapel Gallery Digital Art Exhibit: When Artists and Geeks Collide
Creating Alternate Versions of Your Photos
Selective Noise Reduction with Camera Raw
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...