A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to train your 7yo... I mean dragon...  (Read 558 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SilverMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 22, 2011 12:35:01 AM »

My eldest son is turning seven, and after much backwards and forwards about themes, with respect to budget and weather constraints, he finally has agreed to go with pizza and a movie. He hasn't seen How to Train Your Dragon, despite the two of us being big dragon fans, so that's what he wants to watch.

For lunch the boys will have pizza (obviously) and I thought I'd make cupcakes or brownies instead of a big cake, so there would be less waste. I don't know how to make dragon cupcakes though, I'm not very good with fondant icing so I can't make figures. And of course there will be popcorn for watching the movie with.

I am planning on moving my couch against the wall, and covering the floor with blankets and doonas and pillows, and then covering the couch and everything with sheets to make clean up easier. (I have some green ones that will look like rolling green hills from the movie.) And my friend has a roll of blackout material to cover the windows.

For the goody bags I am going to get single serve bags of microwave popcorn, gummi pizzas, and a bunch of HTTYD printouts of colouring pages and mazes etc from the official website. I might even make some mini dragon amis, like the golden dragon I made for the last challenge, but in yarn.

I guess what I need from you guys is any decorating ideas, or games the kids could play while arriving, any other ideas on food, etc. Really anything that occurs to you at this point, because nothing is set in stone with two months to go.

I don't want to go overboard with sweets, because my son's birthday is Easter Sunday, so kids will most likely have their fill of chocolate that weekend anyway.
When do you think would be the best time? I was thinking dinner or afternoon, because of the pizza, but I don't really want to deal with seven strange boys hyped on a day long diet of chocolate, especially if I am going to be giving them pizza and soda. Maybe a lunch party? I don't think any of his friends are from religious families, so I don't think clashing with church will be something we have to consider.

Hopefully all you clever craftsters can come up with some budget friendly ways to bring some dragon flair to my son's birthday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancedupapillon
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011 01:58:10 PM »

My mom always made us piatas for our birthdays, and it was always the first thing she did when we thought of our theme.  You could put the goody bags in there, so it wouldnt be a source of extra candy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Funky and Retro Updo
How to Create a Formal Updo
How to Create a Triple Braid
How To Make Your Hair Shine for a Big Night Out
How to Highlight Your Own Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...