A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2.5 mens undershirts to yoga tank (lots o pics)  (Read 2144 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

My kung fu is strong today!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 21, 2011 01:04:11 PM »

About a year and a half ago my mom went to the hospital with some serious health issues. Since then she made one positive life change after another. She quit smoking (15moths without a cigarette!), she started walking for health, she recently lost 10 lbs. Basically my mom is the bomb.

So her new thing is Zumba Latin aerobics. She is Puerto Rican so it makes sense. She got the videos but wanted to take a class, and she found one at Body (a fancy yoga studio). The only time I had ever been in Body was when I saw a pair of awesome workout pants on a woman in my dance class. She told me she had gotten them at Body (also a yoga boutique). I went to check them out and...well guess how much they were.

$80! Eighty bucks for workout pants! Anyway I didn't want to go to the fancy yoga studio in shabby duds, and I didn't want to go out and buy a new tank...so I made one.

Here is me in my new tank and my mom in a workout shirt she re-purposed (check out that purple ruffle)

I googled yoga tank and used these two for inspiration:

I started with two cheep white men's undershirts (shhh don't tell my husband)and ended up needing a third for the straps and trim. I put one shirt inside the other and cut them like so.

I gathered the top and added a bias tape like strip to the top and messed it up like I usually do when working with bias tape like things. Then I tried to seam rip it and made a hole in the bias tape and instead of starting over I just added another strip of bias tape that made a sweet detail on the top.

This is what it looked like after i sewed it all up. I ended up taking in the sides a bit under the arms just to give it more shape.

Then I tie dyed it with some liquid Rit dye I already had. I have to say I love the heart and it was easier than you might think. I found the tutorial online, let me know if you want it and I'll find it again.

Here is that layered detail of the top.

And the back.

And the back on me.

This feels like one of the most professional looking things I have made. I really like it and I have to say Zumba class was crazy fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Your life is what you make of it

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011 01:54:40 PM »

I love zumba!!  Your top is crazy awesome and I love how you tie dyed the heart pattern! Your mini tutorials are always helpful and easy to follow!

Congrats to you for a great job and to your mom for taking control of her life!! Her shirt is also lovely!

I showed my hubby your pic and all he could comment on were the congas...ha ha..he is going to hunt you down for the green one... Wink

I might go with him and snag the shirt... Wink

Wonderful post, najaorama!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lillibet
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011 02:36:41 PM »

It's so awesome! So bright! So...cheerful! Just what I needed in today's (rainy) weather. It definitely does look professional, and unlike some tie-dye, it looks pretty, as opposed to "huge mishmash of colours".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robynsteiner
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011 04:26:45 PM »

Go you! And Go Mom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
indigoracer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011 06:28:48 PM »

I like the idea, and you did a great job putting it all together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WhimsySister
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011 07:21:38 PM »

I will have to make one of those! You did such a great job, it looks better than the ones you found online!

Congrats to your Mom on those fabulous achievements! That is one inspiring woman, thanks for sharing her story.

Give her a hug for me!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... and they lived happily ever after ... in Ireland.
najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

My kung fu is strong today!

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011 07:28:10 AM »

Aww thanks everyone, for your positive words about the shirt but mostly for encouraging my mom. She is my best friend and I want her to be around as long as possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
satoushiri
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011 08:00:44 PM »

OMG! That tank is amazing!!
I have recently been bitten by the exercise bug and walk through the activewear sections of stores every chance I get. I especially love the tops and I end up wanting them so bad - but I do not want to spend $20 for a workout top! Your tank looks just as cute/awesome as those in the store!
It might just be me, but when I feel like I have a cute workout outfit on it makes me want to work out longer Tongue I'm totally going to recreate this!!
And I agree about the shading of the tie dye - I seem to eyeroll when I see the classic rainbow tie dye, but this single color tie dye is amazing looking. And the heart is awesome too! I am curious to know which tutorial you used for this shape - I have seen a few, but all seem a little different than the shape you came out with - they are small like just in the upper chest area - yours covers the whole shirt.

Great job and kudos to your mom for changing her life! I know how proud you are of her - when my mom quit smoking it was one of the best days of my life because I got to experience the joy and pride she feels, as a parent, when I achieve great things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peachpit TV: Using the Displacement Filter in Photoshop
Photoshop Glamor Shot Tutorial
How to Import Photoshop Files in Microsoft Expression Web
Picasa 3: A Photo and Video Editing Freeware
How to Photoshop a Movie Poster Desktop Wall Paper - Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...