A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [ACCEPTED] Diorama challenge!!  (Read 3643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lula410
« on: May 30, 2005 02:54:30 PM »

If this has already been some sort of contest at some point in time my apologies, but i have been really wanting to build a diorama for a long time.. ( I remember how fun they were in grade school) and this would be an excellent motivator!

Jessica A.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005 08:42:25 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aly_421
i <3 theatre, but not the DRAMA.

anyone home?? echO-O-O-O-o....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005 03:22:47 PM »

I LOVE DIORAMAS!!!!!! i didn't get to do them enough in school.
this would be too fun!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/aly421

too many mutha ucka's, uckin with my shi
theres too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
too many mutha ucka's uckin with my shi
how many mutha ucka's?
too many too count! mutha ucka.
muffinpod
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005 08:24:34 AM »

dioramas are swell. i was just reminiscing the other day about my california missions diorama from fourth grade.... oh how i miss those days!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faeriedust112088

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005 10:08:57 AM »

My mother LOATHES diorama, but I'm not my mother. Sounds like a blast to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faeriedust112088

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005 10:09:53 AM »

What would the theme of the diorama be? Like a historical event or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lula410
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005 11:51:00 AM »

Hmmm.. good call.. i think the diorama should be themed "a scene from your life" so perhaps something of a fond memory you have?  Or it could also be themed around dancing? Thats always good.  Or even better.. dancing robots... k i am reaching.  What do you guys think? 

jessica A.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005 02:20:18 PM »

This would be a good challenge in leu of the new school year starting up in August/September time. (A timing suggestion for when this particular challenge would begin)
A good theme would be "Your most embarassing moment", I think this could be funny.
And another note on dioramas, one of my fiance's friends was a diorama for Halloween in high school. It makes for a rad DIY costume too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lula410
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005 02:31:21 PM »

I love it all!!!! Most embarassing moment.. The timeliness of the school year.. and the fact that your friend was a diorama for halloween.. that is nothing short of BRILLIANT.  I was a present for halloween when i was a child and i fell down the stairs because i couldn't really move my legs.. haha.. This should totally be my diorama..  Actually i have had much more embarrassing moments.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiesty

Snarky Princess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005 03:59:20 PM »

I love the idea of dioramas. They were the best part of school projects. Maybe a holiday theme? Or your favorite place theme? Or maybe pick a dream you had and make it? This might be a nifty craft swap too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

molsballou
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005 07:11:27 PM »

I love this idea, but I don't think I'll ever see a diorama as beautiful as the one a friend of mine made me for Christmas last year. It's the Tea Party scene from Alice in Wonderland made with little toy monkeys in the key rolls, and Hello Kitty as the Cheshire Cat... you'd have to see it. It's the best thing I own.
I definitely second (third, fourth, fifth) the motion, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lula410
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005 10:22:44 PM »

oh i want to see!  You should post! (the alice and wonderland diorama)

Jessica A.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kelly
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005 04:44:37 PM »

i did make a diorama in one of my classes in the fall semester.  its not a scene from my life, though; its trees make out of wire coat hangers and a river made of broken cds and there are silver birds and some spheres and cubes around it.  i actually really liked the way it turned out.

this sounds like an awesome idea; how would one post pictures?  i think if i put the lense of my camera in the peep hole, the flash would wash everything out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RobertBlue
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005 07:18:56 PM »

I heart dioramas.  They were always my favorite projects to do in elementary school.  True story: I once spent over fifty dollars recreating the penultimate scene of C.S. Lewis' "The Voyage of the Don Treader".  With the baking clay (sculpey), sealer, paint, craft wire, decorative paper, fake flowers, fabric, glue, glitter, and fishing line, the costs amounted very quickly.  To this day (as far as I know), it is still on display in my elementary school's library.  And they said I wasn't a good artist.  I just can't draw.  But I can sculpt and paint. Wink

My suggestion for a theme: movies.  Pretty broad, I know, but you would provide the title and a brief synopsis of the scene in question.  And we could always narrow it down by time period/award winners/director/genre/etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lula410
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005 07:23:25 PM »

Oh my... i think i love the scene from a movie idea..  I think that could be amazing.  by decade... for example ...mmmmm the 80's perhaps?  Or Director... John hughes hmmm john hughes!

Jessica A.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lula410
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005 07:25:22 PM »

Oh also regarding the peephole and camera flash.. we could just make open faced dioramas?.. or make sure that the front is detatchable etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005 03:05:52 AM »

this might be a stupid question - but im not american... so what is a diorama - form the post hrre im assuming its a sort of scene in a showbox type thing, am i right ?
if so i definitely second the movie idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
lula410
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2005 11:59:17 AM »

this might be a stupid question - but im not american... so what is a diorama - form the post hrre im assuming its a sort of scene in a showbox type thing, am i right ?
if so i definitely second the movie idea

Ok i could not come up with an eloquent way to put it.. so here is the definition from ehow.. i think its lovely.

A diorama is a mini-world - an entire landscape in a box, carry case, or window

Jess A.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005 02:57:02 PM »

Dioramas can be life-size  --like the ones of stuffed (ugh) wildlife or humans in their native habitats at museums -- or they can be any size, including "miniature" which is what we're talking about here.   Think of it as a "mini-scene" created any way you want (on a base, in a container --generally open on one side at least-- or it could be connected to something else --like perhaps a lamp base or book end). 

If you want to check out loads of dioramas and mini-scenes, I have bunches linked to from my website (some have polymer clay parts, some don't).
They are on several pages, so I'll just give a link to the first one below (to get to any of the other from that page, just click on its page name from the navigation bar on the left of the page):

Kids-Beginners (....click on the "Scenes & Dioramas" subcategory)
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/kids_beginners.htm

Houses-Structures > "Whole structures & Scenes"...also "Background scenery/bases"
Halloween > "Scenes , Dioramas, Houses"
Christmas > "Sculpting"... and "Websites"
Sculpting > "Bases"

I love the things myself, and wish I had time to do them now. 

My first experience was in 12th grade when I made one in my music class as a final project (had to be an opera). I chose Madame Butterfly because I found a picture of one scene from it, and made a little Japanese scene in a cardboard box, opening to the front with a "theater curtain".  It was mesmerizing to do and just about my first experience with "art" that I could actually do (could have blown me away with a feather when I got an A++).
My scene was the inside of a Japanese room with tiny sliding doors (tracing paper and something else for frames),  little furniture & Japanese fabric pillows inside, a cherry tree in blossom visible through the doors (toilet paper on ends of twiggy branch), and a tiny Japanese woman in a kimono, etc.  That's all I can remember anyway.

Soooo fun.

Diane B.
http://www.glassattic.com ....polymer clay "encyclopedia"
Table of Contents: http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
RobertBlue
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005 11:28:36 AM »

so what is a diorama - form the post hrre im assuming its a sort of scene in a showbox type thing, am i right ?
That's pretty much it.  And mine have always been open faced.  I just take (for the most part) a shoe box, turn it on its side, place the top underneath so its holding the rest of the box, and start constructing.  I've never done a closed off one...hmmm...a new personal project.

As for director themes, I'd say Hitchcock, but most of his films are in black and white.  John Hughes would be fun.  I would also personally enjoy Stanley Kubrick as a theme, or maybe animated films?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005 08:03:29 AM »

Oooh.  I like this one!  This will be challenge #3!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2005 08:41:52 AM »

Okee dokee... here's the official Challenge thread:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=39166.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...