A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
384 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THESE DRAPED PANTS, I'VE SEARCHED EVERYWHERE!?!?  (Read 6332 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sony93
« on: February 20, 2011 10:55:08 AM »

Hello everyone. I'm on Mid-Winter break and I want to use it to do a few sewing projects. I've searched HIGH and LOW for a tutorial or free pattern (no money Cry) for draped pants like this:
. All I've gotten is tutorials for the same kind of harem pant. So, I came here knowing that you all are really creative and knowledgable with these things. I really love the drapery on the sides of these. I know I have to use a flowy fabric to even make the pants look right, but what shape do I cut to create this effect? Huh Huh Huh

Please I am so lost. Also, would I do the same to make pants like these?

How would I create the pleats? Thanks sooooo much in advance! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!! HELP ME GET MORE REFERRALS!! JUST CLICK THE LINK, SIGN UP and COMPLETE AN OFFER....preferrably STAMPS.COM. PLEASE I NEED THE REFERRALS. WILL PAY BACK IN ANY WAY.

LINK: http://www.YourFreeVideoiPods.com/index.php?ref=4711057
jaykayare

julieroth.tumblr.com

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011 03:33:10 PM »

okay so i made you this really bad paint tutorial to kind of help you get on your way.  i've made very similar pants and was frustrated not being able to find a harem pant pattern i wanted so i made my own.  hopefully you are pretty familiar with sewing and can figure this out (but feel free to ask questions and hopefully i can answer them) because this is really basic. the colors came out horribly, but there should be red lines where there are short vertical lines in a row (on the waists).

these are the pants i made. the fit wasn't quite right so we rolled the legs up to the knee. (this is not me, it was one of my models/friends).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dbh2ppa
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011 08:00:11 PM »

I'm by no means an expert, so take the following advice with a grain of salt and, as you should always do, make a muslin before you cut into your good/expensive fabrics.

I think the picture is of "cowl pants", and here's what I would do:

1) Take a pattern for trousers that fit you. (Front side on the left, back side on the right).

2) Choose how low you want the "draping to be", make horizontal lines at the desired depth, and make curved lines from the waistline, to the side, as shown.

3) Cut up your pattern through those lines.

4) Arrange them so that the top parts form sort of a horizontal line, with some distance between them (The distance being two times the depth of the "draping", the more distance, the fuller the pants will be). Arrange the rest of the pieces so that the waistlines become curves, and the bottom corners are touching. Turn the hem lines into a curve. (Explaining this with words is hard, just look at the image Smiley)

Now, I'm not exactly sure whether you should cut this cross-grain, or with the grain running vertically, maybe someone with more experience can help, or just make a couple of muslins and see which one hangs best.

To sew them up, just fold it down the middle, and sew the top (going from the waistline down to the middle point), which means you'll have a seam running down the side halfway down the leg, not all the way to the hem, and then sew the rest like you would any other pair of trousers.

Hope this helps! Best of luck, and do post the results if you make them Wink

Source: Adaptations from instructions for a "cowl skirt" in Winifred Aldrich's "Metric pattern cutting".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Made a cross from knitting needles,
made a grave from hoover bags
specially for the woman in the wall"
(The beautiful south - The woman in the wall)
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011 12:04:23 PM »

If you want a pattern, Vogue Patterns has (or had) something like that last year.  I think it was in their sportswear collection.  If I get some time, I'll have a look for it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011 08:58:35 PM »

What dbh2ppa said. It's a "hip cowl," and I've seen it on pants, skirts and dresses.

BTW, cowl sleeves are dang cool. Must draft that up some time...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Join a Reality Competition Show
The Harry Potter Glossary from the Fans
Deathly Hallows Predictions
How to Film Underwater
How to Get a Casting Tape for Reality Competition Show
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...