A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,528
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Big chinchilla cage  (Read 7240 times)
Tags for this thread: chinchilla , habitat , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brokenumbrella
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011 12:26:50 PM »

yea def would love the link.
i have 2 outdoors. they get stir crazy when they need to be brought in for inclement weather.
i have 1 indoors and shes a baby still so i am working on domesticating her to the max. litter training and all. but she is my indoor bunny and i would be making her a home

Bless  Smiley I have two indoor bunnies and fenced off a big area for them using puppy pens - quick and cheap. I've PM'd you some links as I can't remember if we're allowed to post links to other forums.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tattooedcrafter
I don't need friends, I have teddy bears!!!

Me and My littlest love

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011 12:49:05 PM »

You did an amazing job, my chinchilla would love this, she would never have to sit on our guinea pig, who she shares a cage with, ever again
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have very limited internet access so if you don't hear from me don't worry I'll be around soon

I'm Full of Unexpected Awesomeness
wists.com/tattooedcrafter
sabrinalouisemiller

ATCs are an Obsession.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011 07:26:38 AM »

Kudos to you for just going for it! Some of the best stuff is done that way, and your reasons for venturing into the unknown world of woodworking are such good ones.
Keep it up - you never know when you'll need to break out the tools again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mellifermoore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011 10:20:17 AM »

Absolutely brilliant piece of work, well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Doxie24_7
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011 02:41:02 PM »

This is a really nice cage. I've been thinking of building something like this for my rats. How is the wood to clean? I would worry about urine stains and mites in the wood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brokenumbrella
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011 12:16:41 PM »

I'm not sure yet as it's only been set up a few days - I plan to periodically remove, disinfect, scrub and dry the shelving.

Most chinchilla cages that are sold have wooden shelves and the chinchilla rescues I've spoken to seem to find them ok maintenance-wise. Mine does have more wood than most but I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

My chins are quite good in that although they poop everywhere, they only widdle on the ground floor, not on the shelves. (Sorry if that was too much information!) So they shouldn't get too filthy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissThing
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011 01:00:42 PM »

Thats awsome home made cages are often the best. you can get exactly what you and your pets wants that way.
and you have designed and built it lovely.my rats are well jelouse with ther store bought explorer lol

ps i havent read all the replies so sorry if its already been mentioned but all that gorgeous wood with chiinchilla urine will be rather nasty and smelly in a very short time. i reccomend using either Plastikote or Japlac paints to protect the wood and its child safe and it wont matter it the chins Chew it and youll be able to clean the urine off rather than having to replace it. check the labes of the individual tin you intend to buy though.not all the colours are child safe and some of the enamal/gloss plastikotes arent either Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011 01:05:46 PM by MissThing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful; or believe to be beautiful" William Morris

http://pinterest.com/icanhasdreamz/
http://www.wists.com/ICanHasDreamz
alli.illektro
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011 02:59:35 PM »

thats a nice size cage for them! i would just make sure that the chickenwire covers even the very corners of the cage because if you leave even a few inches of just wood they WILL chew through it and get out. tricky mischevious chins. ;P
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011 06:22:14 PM »

Awesome! They look so happy in the nice big home Cheesy  This looks like you put a lot of thought into the idea, it turned out great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011 06:26:52 AM »

Wicked. How great are chinchillas? I bet they love all the room to run around and jump. I had one when I was a kid and I remember we took a rabbit cage and two rat cages and stacked them to make a multistory thing, but this is a million times better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Walnut Bread Recipe
Techniques for Perfectly Frosting Your Cake
How to Put Icing on a Cake
Cupcake Masterclasses: Working with Sugarpaste
Blackberry Frozen Yoghurt Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...