A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: any interest in a spinning CAL? Thinking March 2011  (Read 2849 times)
Tags for this thread: spinning , roving , fiber , yarn , fiber_art  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2011 07:24:00 AM »

Guys, I'm in trouble: I just bought a ton more of roving, and I've already got a ton in storage in my basement.

I've decided to put aside my other projects (mostly) and spend March focusing on spinning through stash.  Also, I'm trying to be more adventurous, but I need help with that too.

It'd be awesome if I could find other like minded people, and we could put up a thread on the CAL board, and post pictures and discuss progress and even show off our stash.

I know there are already fiber fridays, but I was hoping for something more intense and more intimate (with more discussion of stash!), that would go all month long!

Comment if you'd like to join such a venture.

I'm laying my stash out for a picture now.  Shocked

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011 07:31:52 AM by astormorray » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011 08:07:05 AM »

I'm in, I think.  i really miss spinning and I think getting into CAL's will help me to stop swapping. (not that swapping is bad, it just eats up way to much time)  That and I'm setting a finish date for some dog fur  for March 20th.  I've had it since december... and by the time she gets the yarn, she wont be able to wear the scarf she wants from it for another 6 months... So.  Yes, i'm in.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011 09:03:22 AM »

I'm up for this.  I'm a newbie spinner, and my stash isn't huge, but I've discovered that while I enjoy spinning, I prefer the knitting part.  I need some motivation to actually get my spindle going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k_cat
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011 06:55:22 AM »

I might be in as well, because I've been dyeing like mad lately... And right now there's a huge anonymous fleece in my bathtub, and at least one more waiting to take a bath. Not to mention the other fleeces I got from our tenant's sheep... Somehow I MAY have lost count - 4 or 5 are left. And there will be more as soon as he starts shearing... Grin

But: I don't know how much I'll be able to spin during March, as I have to get a paper done. (Plus some other stuff that could keep me from being productive...)
If it doesn't matter how much and how often I contribute to the CAL, like I said, I might be in as well. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011 08:54:40 AM »

I started my dog fur.  unblended, and it's pretty prone to falling apart.... so now I think I'm going to finish up this bobbin, then blend the rest, and spin and ply them together.  I know it's not march yet, but head start, as I've got enough fur to make a lot of yarn....

Also K_cat,  I'm going to PM you about fleece.  I'll be needing some, off an entire sheep for some homework I'm doing for fiber week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011 05:20:24 PM »

k_cat - do join! I don't think we'll be judging anyone on volume. I really can't devote more than 2 hours a day to spinning, and I doubt even that will happen!  It's more of a way to encourage us to do things we've been putting off, and to experiment.

And to complain about how we can't find time to do things!  Wink

I've put away my quilting things, and I brought out my wheel last night!

Should I start a CAL thread?  We could just post here...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011 11:10:32 AM »

Holy crap! You're picture there makes me want more fiber. "I don't have nearly a bed full, even a baby bed full, I must be missing out..."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011 11:19:20 AM »

So it turns out a friend of mine knows about a sheep farm near me.... Dorset he say's.  ZOMGOSH!  Not the best wool ever, but I could likely go shear a sheep myself!!! COOOOL.  must call them!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011 11:29:02 AM »

Holy crap! You're picture there makes me want more fiber. "I don't have nearly a bed full, even a baby bed full, I must be missing out..."

heh. the sad thing is that's not even everything...  Roll Eyes  I think the problem is that I'm still buying as if I'm still spinning all the time, but I've hardly been spinning at all recently...  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011 02:42:53 PM »

heh. the sad thing is that's not even everything...  Roll Eyes  I think the problem is that I'm still buying as if I'm still spinning all the time, but I've hardly been spinning at all recently...  Cheesy

I'm willing to bet I'm not the only addict person on these boards who would be willing to take some of that off your hands. I mean, if you really wanted us in your CAL, you would be offering a batt/roving to every participant (which it looks like you could afford to).

I'm just messing with you. I am a FF regular (now) so I will totally be following along, even if I don't spin for uber-stash busting.

So it turns out a friend of mine knows about a sheep farm near me.... Dorset he say's.  ZOMGOSH!  Not the best wool ever, but I could likely go shear a sheep myself!!! COOOOL.  must call them!!
Oh, yeah, I still have most of a fleece to comb. maybe I can do that for this CAL? I am getting 3 more in May! Overload, maybe, but I think it will be fun, especially since I have learned so much cleaning/combing/spinning this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Homemade Stuffed Sesame Leaves
Thai Fish Tacos With Latin Slaw Recipe
Japanese Salad Dressing Recipe
Coconut Cringe: Anthony Eats America Ep. 6 - Deleted Scene
Recipe For Revolution: Anthony Eats America Ep. 6 - Deleted Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...