A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,448
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to I reduce the diameter of a disc-shaped piece of glass?  (Read 543 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rockworthy
« on: February 19, 2011 06:43:34 AM »

Maybe you could point me in the right direction.  I have a thin, disc-shaped piece of glass from a watch face.  I want to use it for a project, but it's a few millimeters too wide to use, so I want to reduce the diameter by grinding it.  However it also needs to be perfectly round to fit into it's setting.  How would I do this?  I was thinking I could attach the disc to the end of a rotary tool attachment somehow, so that I could spin the disc at high speed against some sand paper, reducing the diameter.  Do you think that'll work? Thanks for the tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011 05:57:28 PM »

Maybe you could point me in the right direction.  I have a thin, disc-shaped piece of glass from a watch face.  I want to use it for a project, but it's a few millimeters too wide to use, so I want to reduce the diameter by grinding it.  However it also needs to be perfectly round to fit into it's setting.  How would I do this?  I was thinking I could attach the disc to the end of a rotary tool attachment somehow, so that I could spin the disc at high speed against some sand paper, reducing the diameter.  Do you think that'll work? Thanks for the tips!

Normally watch bezels are very hard glass. They make them that way so they do not easily break when wearing the watch.

Therefore the way you mentioned most likely will not work. The best way would be to use a glass grinder. Perhaps to do that go to someone who does glass work or stained glass in your area, and ask them if they would mind grinding the piece for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Poet Adam Kammerling Performs "Woof Quack Meow, Neigh Moo Oink"
Chris Parkinson Performs His Poem "Men of Straw"
How to Write a Research Paper
Barbara Arrowsmith-Young on The Woman Who Changed Her Brain
The Painted Bridge Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...