A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,279
Currently Running With Scissors:
326 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Miraculous Bridal gown for less than $70 in supplies!  (Read 2766 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Merripan

I quilt, therefore I am...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 18, 2011 05:27:58 PM »

So, here's the skinny on this one...

The bride-to-be and her boyfriend decided, after being together for almost 15 years, that they should probably finally tie the knot now that they're having a baby.

The gown was ordered, and everything seemed to be coming together just fine...  UNTIL... *duh-duh-duhhhhhh!* The call that brides everywhere dread more than seeing gray hair in the mirror the day of the wedding:  The dress had been back-ordered and wouldn't be available for another 2 months.

This wouldn't have been an issue, except that it was 16 days til the wedding when they called to tell her.  Our panicked heroine called her step-sister and asked how on earth she was going to get a dress in less than 16 days...

The step-sister called me, and I said I'd do it, but I would need to know what it was going to be made of, etc...

The dress would be made of cotton, and preferably cream. The bridal colors were turquoise and brown, and while the bride-to-be had originally thought she should be in turquoise, she decided after thinking about it that cream would be best.

The bride-to-be had found a dress she really liked, but had decided against it since it wouldn't have made it in time from China. I took a look at the dress, and realized that I had the dress (well, mostly) in a pattern that's now out of print...

Another little snag in this was that the budget was EXTREMELY small...  $100 at best for the dress...  And they hadn't been reimbursed from the store where they'd ordered the other dress...  EEK!

So, off we went to the local fabric store to see what we could see...  We found exactly what we were looking for, which was surprising, considering. I thought about the color scheme and offered up the idea that the insert in the front of the dress should have some color to it - and we found the perfect way to do that, too, using the bridal colors:

So, I went home and started figuring out how to get started on this dress and make it work the first time around, since we had limited fabric and no way to really fit it to her...

Oh, did I mention that the bride lives about 4 hours south of me? And we didn't have the ability to fit her at all?  Yeah...  I had 3 measurements for her...  LOL.

Luckily for me, a friend of mine almost had the same size everything... *whew* So, I had a bit of a stroke of luck there. :-)

I started putting everything together and it decided not to put up a fuss... I kept thinking that it would - that something would go wrong...  Somehow, it would completely go south on me.  Why? Because that's the way things go when you're rushed and have all obstacles working against you. *chortle*

The first thing I did was the bust...  And I added some ribbon to the front and permanently sewed it on. I think it adds a nice touch to it.

Then I added the sleeves and the skirt to it...  Look - we've achieved a semi-functioning wedding gown!

I kept looking at the sleeves and thinking that it needed something to make them look finished...  I was right - TRIM!

How you know you have true friends - when you're allowed to turn them into dress mannequins to help you out. You can see a close-up of the neckline trim that I put on by hand...

My dear friend, posing as my mannequin, to show how lovely the gown looks once it's done...

The back of the gown, mostly finished...  The last two things I did on the gown was to take the same trim I put on the sleeves, and put it down on either side of the back, and lace it up - no zippers, and a much better way to fit things, in my opinion.

I also wasn't sure whether the bride had anything to wear around her neck...  So, I made a choker for her from some old velvet cream ribbon I had, and some more of the trim I had laying around...

I also made a drawstring pouch for the bride, which I haven't told them about. It's of the insert material, and has scrap fabric from the dress, as well as the rest of the trim. That way, should she wish to, she can make a memory book with it.

So, the total cost? $70 to complete it. And it was done in 7 days...  Would have been done sooner, but I also work...  Sooo...  yeah...

Enjoy!

~M
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011 05:28:20 PM by Merripan » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come and visit my Etsy shop for your custom kitchen needs! http://www.etsy.com/shop/merripan
lilfighter00
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011 06:23:12 PM »

incredible! way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--keep calm and carry on--
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011 08:03:52 PM »

This is a very pretty dress and you are a lifesaver!  I hope she gets her cash back from the bridal gown store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Merripan

I quilt, therefore I am...

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011 09:13:06 PM »

Thank you both. She's currently in the process of waiting for them to refund the money. It's supposed to be back to her in another few days. *rolls eyes* I'm hoping for her. I'm just glad that I was able to put together a dress that the bride really *loves*. It's especially nerve-wracking for me to make something when I've never met the person and really have no idea what she likes or doesn't.

~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come and visit my Etsy shop for your custom kitchen needs! http://www.etsy.com/shop/merripan
lilfighter00
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011 01:52:00 PM »

based on time, money, lack of a bride and such i think you pulled it together well. you should be most proud Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--keep calm and carry on--
scarlet_nights
You laugh because Im different, I laugh because your all the same.

Eh what, no Im a f@$&ing squirel

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011 08:57:05 PM »

It turned out wonderful! Ive always loved that pattern. My junior prom dress was made from it and I still have it. I cant belive you cranked that out in a week  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faerybird
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011 05:51:20 PM »

It's very pretty.  I like the touch of blue you incorporated.  I always thought that pattern would make a wonderful wedding dress.  It was good of you to sew it on such short notice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my pretty little blog: http://faerybird.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Book Cover Designs Tips - Part 2
Book Cover Designs Tips - Part 4
Book Cover Designs Tips - Part 3
How to Add Flesh Tone to a Fashion Drawing
Drawing Clothes on a Fashion Figure
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...