A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,595
Currently Running With Scissors:
773 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tripp pants to miniskirt for derby  (Read 1893 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt , roller_derby  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yttrai
« on: February 18, 2011 05:11:59 PM »

So 4 months ago i tried out for rollerderby, and made it by the skin of my teeth.  In the time since then i've gotten noticeably better, and coincidentally dropped around 45 pounds  Wink

Even though i'm not drafted onto an actual team yet, i still attend practices and the bouts.  For bout jobs and various other PR events we are expected to "dress derby" whatever the heck that means.  Well, one thing it means is pushing my limits on how much skin to show, which led me to discover that i have precious few items of clothing that show off any leg at all!

With that in mind, i eyeballed a pair of Tripp club/bondage pants a friend gave me after the seat wore through a second time.  For him, it was a repair beyond his abilities. For me, it was 5 minutes of work.  The pants are similar to these, though the lower legs differ a little.  The D rings down the side are the same though:

Using basic pants-to-skirt technique, and some lace leftover from a Halloween costume i extended the bottom just enough to allow for a little leg showing, but still tolerable coverage if i'm wearing tights:

Here is a shot sans tights, which i would never do in public, so you can see how sheer the sheer lace is:

Making this relied on techniques most of you are well familiar with: i found the best natural break in the line, just below those D rings, and cut the legs off.  I have no photos of the top and bottom half separate, but you know.  It's a pair of pants cut off around the knee.  I also had taken the inseam out already.  Hemmed and tidied the leftover lace, pinned it around to see what type of gathering suited it best, and found that no gathering in the front and lightly gathered in the back worked well:

I put this here and not in Reconstructed since it's tough to tell if something that works for non-Shapely craftsters will transfer well.  In this case, you know i'm big so it should work for you too!

I will be a Non Skating Official again tomorrow night, so if anyone is going to see the Albany All Stars you get to see this in person Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gnomedrops
What I did was sucky, but also not my fault.

What I did was super sucky, but also not my fault.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011 05:33:38 PM »

Awesome!  I'd wear that skirt before I wore those pants Wink  I love derby, I really want to try out, but I haven't much practice at skating. I'm not above admitting that the derby-fashion makes up half my desire to be a derby girl. The other half involves hip-checking.

Have you checked out the curvy-crafter board? Might help with ides!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=255.0
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011 05:57:48 PM by gnomedrops - Reason: wrong link! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorry for being such a flake. Sad
DawnsTrees
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011 07:24:20 PM »

Love this skirt! I especially like how you have the lace gathered in the back. Have a great time wearing it at the derby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Foie Gras for a Japanese Bento Box
How to Prepare a Japanese Bento Box for Kids
How to Make Pickled Vegetables for a Japanese Bento Box
Slow Food Fast: Dal with Poached Eggs, Cilantro and Yogurt
How to Make Rainbow Sushi Rolls
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...