A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Very Cherry Jordy Purse  (Read 12285 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

retrokitten
« on: March 14, 2004 10:15:03 PM »

Hi Smiley
This is only my second post,  but I've been enjoying all of your wonderful ideas for awhile now.  Jordy's tutorial on the square-bottomed bag inspired me (Thanks Jordy!) to come up with my own version.  This was so much easier than making the bottom as a separate piece like I'd done in the past.  I used plastic handles instead of fabric ones and used a piece of ragboard in the bottom between the face fabric and the lining so that all my stuff wouldn't cause it to droop.  I think the only change I would make would be to use interfacing on the lining as well so that I could add an inside pocket without sagging.   The cherry print fabric is a vintage feedsack that I got on ebay.   Hope you all like it!
http://idisk.mac.com/jensalas/Public/cherry_purse.jpg
http://idisk.mac.com/jensalas/Public/cherry_detail.jpg
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011 12:21:56 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
homara
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004 10:18:30 PM »

oh my gosh!!! i just love it...you did such a great job, i've gotah give it to yah...i would like to make a bag like that once i get used to sewing....i was thinking of bamboo handles....but yah...great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayray
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004 10:29:23 PM »

Oh wow... I love it so much!  I can't figure out how you got the handles in there though... I don't see any stitching on the outside right there, so are they in between the outer fabric and lining, somehow?  I guess I'm tired; I just can't visualize the method!  You did a fabulous job, just fabulous.

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
retrokitten
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004 10:40:22 PM »

Thanks!

homara...I have some bamboo handles too...just waiting for the right fabric to come along!

kayray...it's really easy.  The lining is sewn in along the top, leaving the semi-circles unsewn.  You turn the lining through those holes. (You can sew both bottom corners of the lining in the beginning with this method.)  Then baste closed the top openings and sew on a U-shaped facing, position the handles, flip the facings to the inside and stitch down by hand.  You could stitch around the handles with the machine if you can fit it under with the handles in, but I think it's easier just to do it by hand.  Hope this wasn't too confusing!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004 10:41:55 PM by retrokitten » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004 11:26:09 PM »

*squeak*

how freakin cute.....I feel dizzy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retrokitten
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2004 11:37:58 PM »

Thanks, Goddess! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004 12:42:18 AM »

where did you grab your handles? are they lucite?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherriesrockmysox
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004 03:30:33 AM »

WOwo!! must say i did enjoying seeing this purse.. incrediable.. love the fabric.. i've never found any cherry print fabric Sad
but i'll keep looking-- awesome job with the purse, and the clear handles totally fits Smiley
you go girl.. i so want one of these now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BagLady
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004 07:30:12 AM »

that bag totally rocks!! I absolutely adore the cherries - I have been searching for a cherry print that is cute and have never seen anything like that, it's awesome!

I have a few questions...

How did you insert anything into the bottom with it sewn in the middle? (if in fact, you did the same style of bottom i am thinking of) did you just put half into one side, and half into the other? (gosh, am I making sense? LOL)

Also, what is and where do you find ragboard? It really seems to be sturdy - I like that!  

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GracieTom: Original Handbags, Totes & Accessories Galore | www.gracietom.com |

Affordable website design & logo development | www.lisettedesign.com |
sfsf
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004 07:34:33 AM »

I love your bag ! Did you use a pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nicole Scherzinger Inspired Braided Ponytail Tutorial
How to Do a Side Bun with a Bun Ring
The Best Picks for Hair Masks
New Holiday Party Hair Ideas
How to Get Volume in Your Hair for Christmas
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...